Comments on azoth_melusina`s review of Old Weller Antique

Comments and Discussion on Whiskey Reviews found in BE.com's database

Moderator: Squire

Comments on azoth_melusina`s review of Old Weller Antique

Unread postby forumadmin » Thu Jan 15, 2009 9:19 am

This is an automatically created topic for discussion about azoth_melusina's review of Old Weller Antique.
forumadmin
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Unread postby gillmang » Thu Jan 15, 2009 9:20 am

I think this states very well how I've always seen this brand. It's a fine product for a very fair price. But being a wheat-recipe, it will never IMO have the heft and depth of some of its stablemates at Sazerac made with a rye-recipe, or other rye-recipe bourbons. I think the only thing that could change this possibly is if Old Weller 107 was given a couple of more years age. In fact, some Weller 107 has been issued at 9 years, e.g., a special bottling for Louisville Bourbon Society. Maybe all of it in recent years has been over 7 years of age and moreover from Bernheim since UDV sold the brand in the late 90's, with maturing stocks I would think, to Sazerac. The said LBS bottle (or perhaps it was another special bottling, I think one for a Bardstown Road retailer) stated it was made at D.S.P. 1 Bernheim. I wonder if any Frankfort-made distillate is now on the market as Weller 107. Anyway, I think more age (beyond 9 years) won't really change it much and risks possibly losing some of the apricot nuances noted. At 7-9 years, in other words, it seems this bourbon hits its peak.

Gary
Vatman
gillmang
Vatman

Return to Whiskey Review Discussion