Bourbon Reviews:

Bottling NameOld Weller Antique
Bottled ByBuffalo Trace Distillery Frankfort,KY
TypeKentucky Straight Bourbon Whiskey
Alcohol content107 Proof
Availability US: No Longer Available Japan: Not Available Duty Free: Not Available Europe: Not Available
Mashbill InfoWheated Bourbon
Age7
Views (since 20080612) 80823
Bottling InfoWine Enthusiast rating: 88

A medium amber bourbon, bearing a sweetish note with some unusual floral notes and a string dash of vanilla. The body is big and the palate is very well balanced, flirting between sweet honeyed fruit notes, a strong vanilla undertone and some sharp spicy tones; the finish is long and spicy.

A very well crafted whiskey. Sip it at room temperature with a little spring water or over ice.

WINE Enthusiast Magazine

Review from coburn_c (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 2359, Created:20151220063648)
Purchased at:Belmont Beverage
Purchased for:28
Info on this bottle:Info says no longer available, but I just picked up a bottle at my store
Nose:Spice and Heat
Taste:Benchmarks 8's spiciness with an under-taste of sweetness. Respectable complexity. Very bold flavor with little smoothness.
Finish:Spice and heat linger through a chaser, the sweetness is gone in a flash.
Overall:If you like big flavors, respect complexity, and don't mind overpaying a bit.. this is good whiskey.

Registered users can make comments on this review...Already registered? Log in here

Review from Mike (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 2107, Created:20120816164031)
Purchased at:Sigman Bottle Shop
Purchased for:$25
Info on this bottle:7 Year Old
Nose:Aromas include vanilla, leather, caramel, butterscotch, oak and char, and a wee hint of citrus.
Taste:Tastes include vanilla, thick and rich and creamy honey laced sweetness, cinnamom spice and nuts.
Finish:Respectable with some alcohol heat.
Overall:This is a newly opened bottle and is an excellent whiskey.

Registered users can make comments on this review...Already registered? Log in here

Review from Mike (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 2086, Created:20120618190553)
Purchased at:
Nose:Lots of vanilla, some oak, some caramel, some corn, a whiff of nutmeg, and some leather greet the nose, along with some alcohol burn, but less than might be expected for a 107 proof bourbon.
Taste:Viscous and fairly rich in barrel flavors, but only paltry spice on the palate......... almost soft in its attack..... which relies too much on the alcohol to provide any bite.
Finish:Sweet still, but pretty short.
Overall:Sorely disappointed, not what I remembered of Weller Antique??

Review from bourbonv (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 1906, Created:20101219155334)
Purchased at:
Info on this bottle:Gold Vein bottle from 1992
Nose:Maple syrup and caramel with ripe apples and nuts - a candied apple in a glass.
Taste:Rich buttery caramel and apple with a hint of sweet spice - nutmeg and allspice. Fine leather and tobacco with some oak wood.
Finish:Long and sweet with caramel and pecans turning to dry oak. Very nice and makes me want to light my pipe.
Overall:This is one of several boittles I donated to the Filson while I worked at United Distillers. They did not use them all for the event and then one comes back to me after 15 years or more. God deeds do have their rewards.

Review from Dump Bucket (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 1728, Created:20091016153938, Updated:20091019150851)
Purchased at:BevMo Sac CA
Purchased for:$23
Info on this bottle:2008
Nose:A little bland, corn whiskey... the most thin OWA I have ever nosed. There is some light, light vanilla, but nothing to write home about.
Taste:Very thin, but more flavor than I expected. Quick vanilla and then it drops off and goes to corn hust. At about 15-20 seconds there is a bite... :(
Finish:Very corn or corn hust like. There is some earth I do not recall in OWA before and it is bitter...
Overall:If I had to guess, I would say that this was botteling to make the new label seem much better, but the 09 I had is better than this... Its not a 'bad' bottle, its just a bad bottling of the juice...

Review from Don Galligan (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 1717, Created:20091006142634)
Purchased at:Idaho State Liquor Dispensary
Purchased for:21.95
Info on this bottle:bottled in 2007
Nose:nice honey, caramel, and alcohol. Understated, and almost delicate.
Taste:Wow! Honey and citrus, balanced nicely with oak and char. This is special. Unbelievable juice at the price.
Finish:Nice caramel and char, with understated spice, and a burn that lingers for about a minute. Very well balanced and an amazing wheater.
Overall:This stuff is amazing. By far one of the best bourbons I have ever tasted. As the ice melted more citrus and caramel came out in the flavor. Towards the end of the pour when most of the ice had melted the flavor of caramel came out and it was sweet and delicious!

Review from BourbonDave (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 1524, Created:20090320225229, Updated:20090517184918)
Purchased at:Liquor Barn, Lexington, KY
Purchased for:$20.00
Proof Of this Bottle:107
Nose:Smells just like Weller Special Reserve, but with a little more cinnamon kick. Maple and brown sugar and maybe some molasses
Taste:Tastes like Weller Special Reserve, but with that cinnamon taste. It reminds me of those Brachs Cinnamon Disk Candy, spicy heat that is sweet too. Truly a sweet, thick, spicy bourbon.
Finish:The finish is a nice integrated cinnamon red hot and thick sweet syrup. Not too short though.
Overall:This is my second bottle of WA. I like it better than the WSR, just because the WSR can have too much sweet. This gives a nice burn due to the proof, but not too pronounced. I do believe this is one of the best values in bourbon. It makes a good everyday pour.

Review from gillmang (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 1493, Created:20090217104358, Updated:20090517185021) View discussion on this review.
Purchased at:New York State
Purchased for:$22.00
Info on this bottle:Current bottling
Nose:Very full nose redolent of flowers, sweet barbequed oak and a whole lot else in the mid-age range of bourbon flavour
Taste:Full sweet flavours spread on the palate, some grain flavours well-integrated. No plums or that heretofore typical dark fruit note of Weller Antique
Finish:Vigourous and stays its welcome - that's good.
Overall:A protean brand - see my further notes in the comment below.

Review from azoth_melusina (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 1417, Created:20090110154451, Updated:20090115215904) View discussion on this review.
Purchased at:PLCB store in Media
Purchased for:18.99 (on sale)
Info on this bottle:parchment
Nose:that weller sweetness i know from the special reserve! brandied fruit or some kind of raisin/apricot preserves; fresh bread; maple syrup and melted butter drizzled on the highest possible quality fruitcake in the galaxy...heated, of course.
Taste:sweet sting of spice and chewy oatmeal trail bar; maybe something orange-like, but without the citrus-y aspect...still a bit of glow from the stealthy 107 proof; my tongue is still not trained enough to focus on the specific dynamics of where i am tasting what. i like that this continues to challenge me...unlike many a bourbon or whiskey well over the asking price
Finish:oak-ish tartness, dryness coating the sides of the mouth (i like it); fading spice never quite bites, but threatens in a playful way (boy, that sounds abstract)...hmmm. a sense of semi-sweet butterscotch. now that sounds a bit more accessible.
Overall:maybe it's the turkey soup i had an hour ago or the dark and milk chocolate i had 30 minutes ago before i cleansed the palate, but sort of waiting for more of a sense of depth in all phases of tasting...i know it's there so i'm not judging the overall fairly (yet). i remember my last bottle last year mellowed and deepened as i returned to it. and i know a drop of water will open things up (something i've not really done much until recently). a totally wonderful expression. may it remain available and under $20. nice competition to WT101 for consistency and depth...but odd WT seems more powerful (proofwise).

Review from Mike (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 1308, Created:20081006185923, Updated:20091016110251) View discussion on this review.
Purchased at:
Purchased for:$20 or so
Info on this bottle:OWA
Nose:Rich caramel, oak, vanilla...........even the nose knows this bourbon is thick and creamy. Surprisingly, the nose of Antique does not attack, let the alcohol drift away and you are greeted by subtle aromas that strike me as complex and well integrated.......vanilla, oak, in equal measures, followed by burnt brown sugar.........veddy interesting and enitcing to an old nose such as mine. Just So!!
Taste:Nose did not lie! It is thick, creamy, sweet with honey and oaky hints. Pepper and alcohol know their place in this scheme and hold to it. Robust with great structural integrity............it ain't gone lose its grip on your palate. Sweetness aplenty. Corn syrupy thickness with a bite from the oak tannins (my guess) and the pepper from the alcohol. Gee, this is good stuff. The vanilla, maple flavors from the oak play with your palate to your very own delight!
Finish:Just right. The sun gone go down on you before OWA dies.
Overall:Cheapest way to savor a first rate bourbon that I know of. Peasants! The King has not found out about this yet! Get some Weller Antique before His Majesty finds out about this bourbon and keeps it all for his own self! Buy a bottle and do a review............you will no doubt find favor with His Royal Personage by doing so. Are you a Peasant? If you make less than $300,000 in these times, consider yourself a peasant along with me. In my opinion, at $20 or so (and you can find it), this is the BEST whiskey in the entire world. Wine enthusiast rates it at 88.............WTF do they know?

Review from BuffaloBill (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 1251, Created:20080821005425, Updated:20090517185138)
Purchased at:Luke's Liquor's (Cape Cod)
Purchased for:$20
Nose:Green Apple, Kiwi, Brown Sugar, Molasses, Caraway, Dry Spice, Alcohol. Wet Shoe Leather coming right through. Leafy. The slightest whiff of Camphor through the middle. Seriously Woody. Dried Dark Fruit. Raisin is a predominant note at this juncture...
Taste:I'm hanging onto the seat - we're talking 0-107 in a Porsche. Big burn. Chewy. Ethanol.
Finish:Very dry and lengthy.
Overall:I opened this bottle during Spring 08 and let some air in after one single shot. Stored it away... tried it again about six weeks ago, still vibrant with lots of green apple. Now it has become very brown and ripe, sugary and chewy. A different animal... with serious character. Mellow, yet lovely. Most of the citrus burned off the top. Old Fashion Bourbon with a kick. BB

Review from drinkdrankdrunk (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 1219, Created:20080731205323, Updated:20080731222517) View discussion on this review.
Purchased at:Sam's Wharehouse Liquor Okc
Info on this bottle:No. 9316-A Sept 1980 Louisville, KY
Nose:Strongest nose of any boubon sampled to date. Vanilla and caramel. Smells like Bailey's Irish creme.
Taste:Same flavors as current bottling only more distinct and mellowed over time. Less of the alcohol tinge. Vanilla, caramel and nutty oaky flavors. Very well balanced and not overwhelming.
Finish:Finish lingers. All the flavors fade in synch.
Overall:This is what the current bottling strives to be. The craftsmanship is hard to describe in words. A historic bottling, never to be reproduced by any man. I bought the entire 14 bottle stock so all are invited for a taste if ever down Tejas way.

Review from spun_cookie (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 1195, Created:20080713231654)
Purchased at:Do not remember
Purchased for:around $20-25
Info on this bottle:Standard 7 summers
Nose:Base vanilla, pecans, brown suger sneaks up... nothing fancy, but very nice... rich and happy
Taste:Weller Vanilla, light spice (cinimon maybe), nuts... pecans and ... sonthing
Finish:Vanilla and a perfect little burn for a 107.
Overall:This is just a damn great bourbon for 107 proof and around $25 bucks. Stack this up next to Maker's Mark and the MM will pour itself out for you.

Review from Mike (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 1179, Created:20080701162416) View discussion on this review.
Purchased at:
Nose:Smells so good, like somebody took a vanilla bean, a juicy peach, and mixed 'em in with some alkeyhall and rubbed it on my old baseball glove. I likes it a whole lot. Makes me think I could still throw my fastball near 'bout a hunnert miles a hour. Course it was like to go off into the corn field by its own self.
Taste:Now this boy has some power to him. He come on sweet, sweet.......then he growl in yo throat and then he bite in the back. He got some fire but he know his bizness of bourbon. He thick and juicy too. This ain't no slicked down, nice, nice, bourbon. Naw sir. He got gumption by the bucket. A few sips of this boy and I think I might take up rasslin.......gone call myself Old Antique Mike........them rasslers better stay away from me else Imo breath on 'em.
Finish:Not too much, not too little...........like Goldielocks said, 'Just right!'
Overall:A party just on the verge of fallen into chaos.........but it never does. Old Weller Antique will challenge you from the get go, but like a spirited animal has to be respected for what he is. A superb bourbon. Any flaws are swept completely away by OWA's audacity!

Review from spun_cookie (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 1100, Created:20080601203434)
Purchased at:Gilber Bros
Info on this bottle:9 yrs on this bottle
Nose:Vanilla and apples. I had the Bartons first, so I could not tell if the bannanas made me think of apples
Taste:I like Wellers. Vanilla and more apples with some light oak. Can taste the two more years on this.
Finish:[Description of the lingering taste impression]
Overall:Good bourbon. I am very fortunate that the G-bros shared this special bottle.

Review from bourbonguyjapan (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 1035, Created:20080306181654)
Purchased at:Obu City
Purchased for:3000YN
Nose:Woody tones, a little caramel and vanilla?
Taste:Potpourri of caramel, apple and other fruits.
Finish:Long and sweet.
Overall:This is certainly a good bourbon. A bit complex for the simpleton that I am, but rather smooth considering the proof and age- surprisingly so. Well-balanced and rather sweet.

Review from jdewberr (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 996, Created:20080122130217)
Purchased at:NC ABC Store
Purchased for:$17
Nose:Pleasant sweetness, left a nice mouth watering memory of caramel and baked apples.
Taste:Very bright front, pleasant balance of sweet, vanilla and a subtle hint of spice/cinnamon.
Finish:Lovely burn of a +100 proof bourbon but the vanilla lingers and the sweetness fades a little bit before the vanilla.
Overall:Great Bourbon at a great price...have recommended to friends and family.

Review from RogueHorseman (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 908, Created:20071116165212)
Purchased at:
Purchased for:21.95
Info on this bottle:Lot # 42680710:42
Nose:Honeysuckle. Baked Granny Smith apples topped with vanilla ice cream. That familiar hint of grape. Crisp fall air. Appertising, a delight.
Taste:The entry is like silk, then spice builds gradually to a stunning peak. Hot buttered popcorn... the down home kind that mom made so well. Yeast bread. Muscadines. Cracked wheat with a touch of cinnamon. Peanut brittle, done the right way.
Finish:Like your favorite old blanket that just feels better and better as you warm to it on a cold winters night. This finish rivals and reminds me of Pappy's signature style, and for good reason I suppose. World class.
Overall:Beautiful in its complexity and depth. To be savored slowly.

Nothing compares in this price range, and only a select few do that approach double and more, in my humble opinion.

9.4/10

I raise my glass in appreciation to the gifted craftsmen of this fine work of art and thank the heavens above for such an extraordinary - and perfectly affordable - daily pour. Bravo!

Review from gillmang (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 847, Created:20071005124743, Updated:20090517185344)
Purchased at:Cork & Bottle, Covington, KY
Purchased for:$17.00
Info on this bottle:Barrel #10 selected for Cork & Bottle, bottled July 12, 2007
Nose:Good wood-influenced nose with alcohol, fruit and sweeteness intertwined
Taste:Very good, pronounced sweetness, strong flavor yet integrated
Finish:Spreading sensations of wood sweetness, alcohol, stored charred wood, fruit like stored apples. Very good.
Overall:A steal for the money.

Review from bourbonv (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 846, Created:20071005091620, Updated:20090517185418)
Purchased at:Gift from Charles Miller (Cubacroc)
Info on this bottle:Single Barrel from DSP 1 barreled7/21/98 and bottled8/21/07 unfiltered
Nose:Honey and caramel with some fine leather and apple fruit and apple blossoms.
Taste:Nice mouth feel - thick and creamy with rich caramel, apple fruit and a hint of hazelnuts with a little fine leather and tobacco tone leading into the finish.
Finish:Long and wonderfully sweet with caramel and oak wood in balance that lingers and does not want to give up. This is a great finish.
Overall:This is a bottling done unfiltered as a single barrel for Charles Miller and some other people such as Old Town Liquors and the Bourbon Bistro. I helped them pick this bourbon and this is the barrel I preferred even though others preferred a different one. Charles had them bottle them both and he refers to this bottling as "Mike's Barrel". It is a good one.

Review from Mike (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 782, Created:20070531132123, Updated:20090517185518)
Purchased at:Sigman Bottle Shop, Conyers, Ga
Purchased for:$20 or so
Info on this bottle:Genuwine Old Line Sour Mash
Nose:Give it a moment to compose itself and it does a little vanilla, oak, caramel softshoe right up your nose. When the alcohol vapors waft away Weller Antique is almost soft. A few moments in I get a little wiff of orange and leather. A very nice nose with some sophistication and complexity.
Taste:A fleshy fruit sweetness that is also quite creamy and thick. The oak slips in but is far from unnoticed. It is accompanied by some char that is a bit shy, but again, not unnoticed and is made welcome by the other flavors. There is some pepper and spice toward the middle and back that draws your attention.
Finish:For me, the finish was enhanced by the addition of a skosh of water to tame the alcohol burn as it goes down the gullet. Remaining in spite of the alcohol were the rich buttery flavors of the barrel that coat the mouth.
Overall:Rich, tasty, complex, sophisticated, and downright excellent. By my lights, a bourbon bargain. Three thumbs up!! Wait a minute, how many thumbs do I have.........oh, that's right, only two. So two thumbs and four paws (Barelycorn likes it and is on his back) up!! This is some damn good sh__, y'all!!

Barleycorn! Let's pretend like we wuz hunting and you smell a grizzly.......wait, wait, let me get my toy gun!!

Review from Jon (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 773, Created:20070529060139, Updated:20090517185616)
Purchased at:liquor barn, lexington
Purchased for:20.00
Info on this bottle:frankfort
Nose:Powerful (maybe from the proof) and enticing with upfront sweetness of corn, caramel, and spicey oak/ sugared sawdust (logicalfrank). Was that Bartlet pear I smelled?
Taste:Definately brown sugar and charred white OAK up front. Wheat and vanilla are subdued together when the spicey oak comes back again. Oh my God, where was the alcohol burn?!! What a wheater!!
Finish:Very long finish ending in that wonderful spicey/sweet wheaty vanilla oak that goes on and on until the next sip.
Overall:In laymans terms, if you like a bourbon that goes down very, very smooth as far as alcohol goes ( almost NO burn), but potentially( depending on your taste buds) has more flavor than any bourbon you've ever tried, get yourself a bottle of W. L. Weller Antique 107 and you will not be dissappointed.

Review from Mike (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 722, Created:20070224123305, Updated:20070224124439) View discussion on this review.
Purchased at:Green's Liquor, Ponce De Leon Ave. Atlanta, GA
Purchased for:$19.99
Info on this bottle:Aged Naturally 7 Years in Wood
Nose:A warm vanilla, dry oak nose with corn, apricots, leather, caramel, and butterscotch seeping in. When wheaters are spot on, they are spot on, and this one is spot on. Check your toes when you get a whiff of this bourbon, they are probably curling in a completely unconscious movement of pleasure.
Taste:Every bit of the nose promise is offered. Sit back, sip, and be treated to the rich sweetness, orange tang, and cinnamon pepper spice that are yours when you allow yourself to be buddies with Old Weller Antique 107 Proof Straight Bourbon.
Finish:The alcohol is held in check by the sweetness and cinnamon spice and never foists itself on you. Still, this fellow has staying power.
Overall:Maker's Mark (no disrespect intended, just my judgement), when you grow up, (I did a side by side with a very good MM) this is what you should be like............more flavor, more robustness, a true bourbon growl that comes from your 'soul', not a whimper coming from your 'personality'. Long live the bourbon 'growl'!!

Review from LogicalFrank (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 706, Created:20070205170115, Updated:20090517185643)
Purchased at:Sam's Wines in Chicago
Purchased for:$17
Nose:First whiff is mostly caramel, peaches and apple which wanes to saw dust and cinnamon. Very complex and enjoyable despite the smallest hint of a medicinal alcohol character.
Taste:Sweet cherry tang balanced by a heavy blast of oak. There's a very little vanilla back there along w/ some chocolate, cloves and coal dust.
Finish:Fiery and bold. Alcoholic bite serves to lighten mouthfeel and dries out some corn sweetness, accentuating a strong oaky bite.
Overall:Very rewarding if you work w/ it and changes quite a lot as you delve in deeper. Make sure to pause every so often to reevaluate the nose.

Review from gillmang (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 648, Created:20061118083241, Updated:20061118083400)
Purchased at:Liquor Barn Louisville
Info on this bottle:Frankfort bottling (the word "antique" is not on the label anymore)
Nose:roses, loam, some charred wood
Taste:Very soft on the palate, rich, sweetish, smokey with more of the old roses/damask I like and am surprised to note it, i) in a wheat-recipe bourbon, ii) in one 7 years old.
Finish:Lingering, the smoky notes come out more but wreathing and presenting the distillery notes noted above. In this whiskey the perfumed grain notes are not obscured by the wood and smoke or converted fully into other chemical substances
Overall:This is extremely good. I have had historical examples tasted with Tim, and Julian too, from the 50's-70's which were great but this is as good. Not the same but as good. The older ones were more caramel-rich but this current one is very balanced and I think a fine tribute to the excellence represented by the Weller name and heritage.

Review from TNbourbon (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 631, Created:20061103191934, Updated:20061104072243)
Purchased at:New York City
Purchased for:gift from a friend
Info on this bottle:No. K681, gold-veined liter, distilled and bottled in Louisville (thus Stitzel-Weller)
Nose:Very closed at first. Spend some time coaxing some sweetness -- both sugary and spicy -- from it.
Taste:Red Hots up front, seemingly anacronistic from sweet wheat. Also, a bit of a surprise after the subtlety in the nose. Light Karo syrup spread across the tongue. Noticeable, but not distracting, alcohol warmth. Light mouthfeel.
Finish:Leaves a very pleasant, apple-pie pan-bottom-drippings taste afterword, that lingers longer than the heat.
Overall:Not stunning, not simple, not expensive. At its $20-per-750ml price, this could/would be a classy 107-proof house pour.

Review from bourbonv (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 449, Created:20060417150828, Updated:20090517185703) View discussion on this review.
Purchased at:Bourbon's Bistro Bar
Purchased for:6.00
Info on this bottle:Standard Bottle
Nose:Caramel and corn silk with some leather and fruit - ripe pears.
Taste:Caramel and leather with a little fruit and hazelnut. Very smooth - nice warmth in the mouth.
Finish:Short and sweet - caramel and oak.
Overall:Nice bourbon on the rocks or after dinner neat.

Review from bpeikes (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 298, Created:20051025222337, Updated:20090517185732)
Purchased at:LeNell's
Info on this bottle:Number 1457
Nose:Heady aroma, reminds me of the smell of Bardstown, KY, full and yeasty. Reminents of BBQ ribs and molasses.
Taste:Considering it's 107 proof, there is almost no heat, just smooth bourbon. The flavor of carmalized apples come through, and there is a kind of meatiness which matches the nose of BBQ.
Finish:Tanins in the finish help pull the whole experience together and leave a hint of vanilla on your palate.
Overall:This is my new everyday bourbon. Every blue moon, you run into one of these higher proof whiskeys which can have all of the concentrated flavors of a bourbon which has not been heavily diluted, but not have the alcoholic heat which makes them unpalatable. Luckily we've grabbed a handful of cases, but it's saddening to know that this is bourbon that will soon leave the world forever.

Review from jbohan (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 294, Created:20051010072053, Updated:20090517185745)
Purchased at:Pearson's in Atlanta
Purchased for:$20
Nose:The first whiff puts you inside an ageing warehouse. Take your time and enjoy the oak, vanilla, and caramel. The color is a little light but still rich in amber and yellows.
Taste:The flavor changes as it moves around, strong notes vanilla, apples and oak. The longer you hold it, the better it tastes.
Finish:Long dry finish, just the way it's supposed to be.
Overall:Once again, The BT folks prove you can make an excellent wheated bourbon and sell it at a reasonable price. This is a great everyday pour and a good one to give to your friends who think there is only one wheateed bourbon in the market.

Review from MikeK (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 218, Created:20050719172003, Updated:20090517185855)
Purchased at:AJ's Supermarket, Scottsdale AZ
Purchased for:21
Nose:Caramel, butterscotch, vanilla and oak. Give this one plenty of time to breathe and things get more interesting. Mint, toffee, fresh apple pie, and tea.
Taste:Solid initial burn, starting at the front and moving to the middle of the tongue. Caramel, butterscotch, oak, vanilla and mint.
Finish:Long dry finish. Burn moves towards the back of the mouth. Oak and tannin.
Overall:One bung up (recommended). A solid everyday sipping whiskey, very nice. Make sure to let it breathe for full nose and flavor.

Review from bourbonv (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 91)
Purchased at:Liquor Outlet in Shively
Info on this bottle:WL153,264
Nose:Vanilla and pecans with apples and oak. This is a bourbon that gets better as it breathes with the sweet apples and vanilla growing stronger with exposure in your glass.
Taste:A very tame drink at 107 proof with a warm, slightly oily mouth feel. Vanilla and ripe apples with a hint of nutty flavor on the sides of the mouth.
Finish:Long sweet apples with a hint of caramel balanced with some tannic dryness from the oak.
Overall:This is a good bourbon for sipping at night while enjoying the game. The longer it takes you to finish, the better you appreciate it as the flavors change as it breathes.

Search the bourbon reviews:
Display All Bottlers
Display All Reviews