Comments on spun_cookie`s review of Yellowstone

Comments and Discussion on Whiskey Reviews found in BE.com's database

Moderator: Squire

Comments on spun_cookie`s review of Yellowstone

Unread postby forumadmin » Mon Apr 20, 2009 9:25 pm

This is an automatically created topic for discussion about spun_cookie's review of Yellowstone.
forumadmin
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Unread postby ggilbertva » Mon Apr 20, 2009 9:25 pm

What was the bottling year of that Yellowstone Em? I have Yellowstone from mid 70's and it's a fantastic bourbon.
ggilbertva

Re: Comments on spun_cookie`s review of Yellowstone

Unread postby Dump Bucket » Mon Apr 20, 2009 10:38 pm

It was the new stuff that Joe Young sent me.

I have since had some from the 70s from Dane (Gr8derDane) and it was great.

I am looking to score a bottle of the older Yellowstone, I just have not been able to sorce some yet....
"What I do I do because I like to do." Alex DeLarge ACWO
Dump Bucket
Bourbon Head
Bourbon Head

Unread postby dnsouthky » Sat May 02, 2009 11:40 am

Yellow Stone in the 70's and 80's was an excellent drink maybe not the best avaible but good and dependable. I will have to say I miss it. ---------(I have to admit every new store I go into I look to see if I can find some old 1/5' of Yellow Stone. --------- But what I dont understand is why it has sunk to the low's of todays Yellow Stone. What changed? I dont know about all the distilers and etc like so many of you do but I do know that todays Yellow Stone is not what I grew up drinking and Im sad to say I miss it. Yellow Stone was one of my first bourbons and one of my favorites for years. I still keep a bottle on hand I guess because of old memories but I dont enjoy it like I remember. So is it my taste have changed or has Yellow Stone changed as much as I think it has? If it the Yellow Stone that has changed and not my taste then why would the bottlers drop the quality of this bourbon so low? Wouldnt they sell more if they kept the quality up to what it was in the past?
Remember even a blind hog finds an acorn every now and then. ----- I just hope to live my life as happy as a blind hog and find my own acorn every now and then.
dnsouthky

Unread postby mozilla » Sat May 02, 2009 12:16 pm

You have many questions, Grass Hopper.

I will attack one of them.

The Yellowstone that you speak so highly of was made at the Yellowstone distillery...owned by Glenmore. Their style of bourbon making is very "old school" and is one of my favorites, as well. People just don't make bourbon to taste like that anylonger. Yellowstone...back in the day....was just an everyday middle shelf bourbon. Probably, one of a hundred labels that tasted similarly. Today, the way most make bourbon...tends to cut many of the corners that were used by Glenmore.

I would suggest that you experiment with putting a vatt of WT rye and regular, 50/50 in your current bottle of Yellowstone...and see if that doesn't take you back to yesteryear. And of course...pour out the low budget bourbon that resides in the bottle of Yellowstone currently.
mozilla

Unread postby gillmang » Sat May 02, 2009 12:40 pm

As Jeff says, Yellowstone is now being made by a different distillery than 30 and 40 years ago. Sometimes when a label is purchased, the taste changes. I too recall Yellowstone from its heyday and it was in my top three or four bourbons of the day (the others were Maker's Mark, Old Fitzgerald, and Old-Grandad). It had a notable light fruity note, not lemonly, but more like strawberries or watermelon. It was very good and top of the line IMO. Some small stores, usually in the older parts of town, still carry the old bottlings but they are hard to find. I've heard there is some occasionally available in Washington, D.C.

In Louisville earlier this year, a small older store told me I missed the last one he had by a week, probably it was picked up by another enthusiast from this board or http://www.straightbourbon.com (another fine bourbon resource). I felt better knowing another bourbon maven probably found it.

In terms of bourbons available today with that taste profile, to be honest, I can't think of any. You can try your hand at mingling two or three bourbons to try to get closer to the taste, again as Jeff suggested. You might try to find Virginia Gentleman 90 proof, the Fox as it is known informally. It bears some resemblances to the old Yellowstone and is about the same age (6 years old). If that doesn't do it, maybe combine that with Weller 107, 2:1. Even if it doesn't really come close, it will be very good, be assured.

Gary
gillmang
Vatman

Return to Whiskey Review Discussion