Black Pearl

Fire one up and talk about your favorite smokes here.

Moderator: Squire

Black Pearl

Unread postby abcgroup » Thu Mar 16, 2006 9:52 am

Anyone familiar with this brand of cigar? I just started smoking them the the other day, the Rojo Robusto...I think they're a might fine cigar.

I must admit though, the world of cigars is new to me, so recommendations for bourbon accompaniments would be nice. I have a store right up the world from me in Marietta, GA that has one of the most daunting humidors I've ever seen.

They even have their own brand now. The smokes are Nicaraguan. Very nice.

Please share your recs.

Cheers,

Jeremy
abcgroup

Unread postby TrueBarrel » Fri Mar 17, 2006 6:22 pm

You'll get a lot of recommendations for cigar bourbons, but for me one of the best for any type of cigar is the Old Rip Van Winkle 15 yo. I prefer the older one in the squat bottle you can still find on the shelves, but the new Pappy 15 isn't a bad replacement. Some others I find particularly good with smokes are Eagle Rare 17 yo, Elmer T. Lee (try Binney's "hand picked"), Wild Turkey Rare Breed and Rock Hill Farms. Of course, Stagg with a Cuban Bolivar is hard to beat (also good with a Cuban H. Uppman No. 2).
TrueBarrel

Unread postby sevenmag » Mon Mar 20, 2006 8:30 pm

Anyone familiar with this brand of cigar? I just started smoking them the the other day, the Rojo Robusto...I think they're a might fine cigar.

La Pearla Habana makes some nice cigars, but I'm not very fond of any of them. The Black Pearl was the best cigar they offered but something happened over they years. They just seemed to lack any of the depth and complexity they were known for, so I quit smoking them.

The most recent version, The Rojo is very close to what they once were. I was lucky enough to sample one at last year's RTDA in New Orleans and that cigar was stellar.
sevenmag

Return to The Humidor