The gift of bourbon...

Discuss any bourbon related topics here that do not belong in a forum below.

Moderator: Squire

Will you be giving the gift of bourbon to someone this holiday season?

Poll ended at Sun Jan 02, 2005 10:47 am

Yes
78%
No
22%

Total votes : 23

The gift of bourbon...

Unread postby Mark » Thu Nov 18, 2004 10:47 am

So with the holiday season fast approaching and gift giving/buying on the mind who all on here is planning on giving the gift of bourbon? If you are planning on doing so will it be for someone who already loves bourbon or will it be a gift to try and convert or seduce someone to the power of bourbon? :lol:

I myself plan on gifting a few bottles, some probably being the BT we purchased from the BT barrel buy. I think that the folks who were there picked out a superb barrel; Very smooth with a bit of a peppery/spicy notes in the back of the throat. A great bourbon for someone experimenting to try.
-=_Mark_=-
Mark
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Unread postby Dave » Thu Nov 18, 2004 1:51 pm

None of my good friends are really into bourbon... they're all into single malts. I haven't given up though, and continue to attempt to help with their enlightenment. It's costing me a bundle. though. :lol:
Dave

Unread postby angelshare » Thu Nov 18, 2004 4:22 pm

Old Weller SR for stepbrother - his favorite; might not sound exotic, but we have to drive out of state to get it.

BT special bottles for dad, brother-in-law, father-in-law, all of whom would appreciate it in varying degrees for different reasons

My usual gift of Rare Breed for various others may be off the list this year due to a recent VA price hike on Turkey products. Possible substitutions include EWSB. We corraled two gift sets with the julep glass that may find their way under someone else's tree this year. If not...well, you can't have too much EWSB in the house.
Dave & Tina
angelshare

Unread postby Mark » Thu Nov 18, 2004 4:25 pm

angelshare wrote: If not...well, you can't have too much EWSB in the house.

Especially when it is the 94' Vintage... :tonqe: We tried the 95' at WhiskyFest and it was also very good. Something to look forward to next year.
-=_Mark_=-
Mark
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Unread postby dgonano » Thu Nov 18, 2004 5:53 pm

Some OFBB for my father-in-law's birthday, this weekend. Our BT will be

Xmas presents to a few appreciative relatives. None to non-bourbonites...

they just cringe when they taste it or give the bottle to someone else.
Dave G.
dgonano

Unread postby parshooter » Fri Nov 19, 2004 12:38 pm

Probably won't be giving any as gifts, but I will be sharing what I have when people come over 8)
parshooter

Unread postby Chris » Fri Nov 19, 2004 2:02 pm

Probably won't be giving any as gifts, but I will be sharing what I have when people come over

It's always hurtful to me to have someone (non-bourbon person) come over and ask to taste one of the 'best bourbons' that i have, and then watch them make a face when they taste the high proof... I find that Four Roses single barrel (the export one) is good since it is a lower proof to begin with and it has a 'lighter' taste (as well as being one of the better bourbons in my opinion)...
Chris
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Unread postby sevenmag » Fri Nov 19, 2004 9:19 pm

I won't be giving any because all my friends drink Miller Light. :roll: :evil:

My dad used to drink Early Times years ago but now it's all about scotch. He'll drink bourbon when he visits here so over the holidays I'll get in a drink or two with him.
sevenmag

Unread postby OneCubeOnly » Sat Nov 20, 2004 9:19 pm

I enjoy giving bourbon, and I've given bourbon in the past, but the more I do it the more I feel like I'm "casting pearls before swine" so-to-speak. It's heartbreaking to hear that the bottle of Blanton's or Booker's that you gave last year got drowned in Diet Coke or ginger ale.
OneCubeOnly

Unread postby bunghole » Sat Nov 20, 2004 10:11 pm

I always give Virginia Gentleman's 'Fox' bottling. Nice classy presentation and fairly affordable. If someone uses mixers they'll still have an enjoyable drink and it won't bother me that much.

:arrow: ima :santa:
bunghole

Unread postby parshooter » Mon Nov 22, 2004 12:55 pm

Chris wrote:It's always hurtful to me to have someone (non-bourbon person) come over and ask to taste one of the 'best bourbons' that i have, and then watch them make a face when they taste the high proof..

That doesn't happen at my house. If they are a non-bourbon person, they don't get anything better than Maker's Mark. One of my best friends is a bourbon and diet Sprite drinker. He gets Maker's. I will give him a taste of my better stuff, but not to mix. And I tell him that and he has no problem with it 8)
parshooter

Unread postby sevenmag » Wed Dec 01, 2004 10:33 pm

I always give Virginia Gentleman's 'Fox' bottling

And a fine gift that is. :thumbleft:
sevenmag

Return to Bourbon, Straight