Original OFC Mashbill

There's a lot of history and 'lore' behind bourbon so discuss both here.

Moderator: Squire

Unread postby Strayed » Sat Nov 26, 2005 10:35 am

BTW MikeK, I came across your website http://www.mkellstrand.com this morning while googling around for yeast info (hey, it could be worse; at least you don't have health & hygiene as a hobby!). Nice articles and photos! I didn't find the yeast name I was looking for, but I did spend some enjoyable time looking at all your tour notes.
=JOHN= (the "Jaye" part of "L & J dot com")
http://www.ellenjaye.com
Strayed

Unread postby MikeK » Sat Nov 26, 2005 12:44 pm

I'm glad you enjoyed the site, thanks for the kind words.

OK, now before people start thinking odd things of me, what freaky yeast related search terms on Google pointed to my site? :shock:

Cheers!

Mike
MikeK
Student of Whiskey
Student of Whiskey

Unread postby Strayed » Sun Nov 27, 2005 4:15 pm

Any of us with whiskey websites would show up. You know the word "yeast" is going to be in there somewhere; that's what Google found.
I provided network support for many years at a large consumer products company, and during several of those I worked at their humongous healthcare research facility. This is a place where hundreds of people scour the internet daily, searching for information concerning (for only one of many examples) feminine hygiene. Specific information, the kind one would need for designing consumer products. Pictures; measurements; etc.
Can you just imagine how much smutty junk email these poor people get? :rofl2:
=JOHN= (the "Jaye" part of "L & J dot com")
http://www.ellenjaye.com
Strayed

Re: Original OFC Mashbill

Unread postby bourbonv » Fri May 23, 2008 12:00 pm

An interesting point we did not discuss earlier in Taylors method for storing your own personal Bourbon in the barrel was the requirement to reseal the bung and roll the barrel every other day. This would increase the contact with the wood. It is assumed this was being done in the warehouses by the need to have barrels guaged, causeing alot of movemnet in barrels. It would also be similar to the rolling motion of a ship when transporting a barrel across the ocean. It would also increase the angel's share since all of the wood would remain moist and bourbon soaked.
Mike Veach
"Our people live almost exclusively on whiskey" - E H Taylor, Jr. 25 April 1873
bourbonv

Re: Original OFC Mashbill

Unread postby Bicgatepc02 » Fri Jan 25, 2013 1:27 am

Dave,
I am not sure of the exact figures, but many rectifiers had to change their ways as a result of this act. If there was no aged whiskey in their product (and many did not use aged whiskey) then they could not call it whiskey. Most of these products died in the market soon afterwards because everyone wanted "Pure Food Whiskey".

Previous

Return to Bourbon Lore