101 Proof Virgin Bourbon

Discuss any bourbon related topics here that do not belong in a forum below.

Moderator: Squire

Re: 101 Proof Virgin Bourbon

Unread postby NotAnAlky » Tue Jun 12, 2012 12:03 pm

merlin87 wrote:When I was but a pup, I used to drink this stuff, and back then whiskey was a means to an end, not something to enjoy. I now enjoy some really fine bourbons, whiskey and others, but I saw this stuff in a liquor store and figured what the hell. It is nasty beyond belief. But here is my question, the label says "Charcoal Filtered", how is that possible? I thought the very act of filtering of any kind made it NOT bourbon. So, does anyone have the scoop on this? I gave the crap away, but I am still curious...

Charcoal filtered is what they do to Jack Daniels, and I hate that crap. I think it must be a contributing factor to the fiery, burning I used to get in the back of my throat that turned me off to it. I picked up a bottle of cheap Kentucky bourbon recently with a higher proof than JD and it goes down fine and isn't charcoal filtered so it isn't the alcohol content that makes your throat burn, it has to be something else in it.
NotAnAlky

Unread postby dickelfanaustralia » Sat Jun 16, 2012 4:50 am

No kenturky bourbon runs it though a charcoal filter (not maple like jd but real carcoal) to remove much of the woody oils and it mellows it and smooths it out. I think Beam green label does it and heaven hill has some mellowed ones too.
dickelfanaustralia

Unread postby frankymac » Wed Mar 20, 2013 9:36 pm

Recently toured 4 roses and I don't remember charcoal filtering in the process. I asked the guide specifically about the differences between Ky bourbon and TN whiskey and he told me that TN whiskey is charcoal filtered with sugar maple charcoal before aging. I guess that's why bourbon can give more of a hangover. lack of filtering. One thing to keep in mind is that the legal definition of bourbon does not exclude the filtering process. The 2 main things that I remember were that the mash must be 51% corn and the barrels can only be used once. Also the first layer of the char on the barrels is really charcoal that the liquor must pass through to get to that carmelized layer that gives bourbon its characteristic color and flavor. So as the liquor is moving in and out of the wood during aging it is passing through a layer of "charcoal". just a few things I remembered from the tour. I hope it helps.

Frankymac
frankymac

Unread postby beer2bourbon » Sun May 05, 2013 5:32 pm

This stuff is available all the time a mile away from me in AVL_NC. best bargain out there!
beer2bourbon

Unread postby wmpevans » Tue Nov 26, 2013 7:57 am

Was in Alabama last weekend for a wedding.

Bought several bottles at $11.99.

7yr age stated 101 proof HH juice. At that price I'm a buyer.
wmpevans

Unread postby 393foureyedfox » Tue Nov 26, 2013 11:31 am

wmpevans wrote:

7yr age stated 101 proof HH juice.

with those stats, I am wondering.....does it taste just like Old Ezra 101?
393foureyedfox

Unread postby Squire » Tue Nov 26, 2013 3:06 pm

393foureyedfox wrote:
wmpevans wrote:

7yr age stated 101 proof HH juice.

with those stats, I am wondering.....does it taste just like Old Ezra 101?

Close enough to make a blind tasting very interesting.
Squire

Unread postby NCdoc » Sat Apr 12, 2014 1:18 am

These more recent posts mention Old Crow and Evan Williams (black). Both are no age statement straight bourbons. EW is 86 proof. OC is 80 proof. Straight bourbons must be aged at least 2 years. Virgin Bourbon is 101 proof and has an age statement of 7 years. Here in Rowan County NC, Virgin Bourbon is now incredibly priced at $11.75 for 750 ml. This is the SAME as Early Times Kentucky Whiskey which is 80 proof, has no age statement and does not meet the legal requirements for bourbon (aged in reused barrels). This is a no brainer.

Jim Murray's review mentions the deep color, deft oak, bittersweet delivery, kumquats and hickory.

When I pick a bottle for mixing with Coke or ginger ale (and a lemon squeeze !), this is my go-to bourbon. Sure, it doesn't quite match the complex aromatics of $28 or $38 (or higher) bourbons. None the less, sipped straight it has an extremely appealing, powerful flavor as Jim Murray describes. This is a strongly flavored, very smoky whiskey. I like whiskeys that are strongly flavored. For example, I appreciate the delicate and flowery younger whiskeys of Speyside, but if I were buying I would choose an older Islay malt or blend.

How many mixing bourbons would you drink neat? To me, Evan Williams is bland and Early Times greatly disappoints when taken neat. Virgin Bourbon does not disappoint. Buy with confidence and try this if it is available in your area. Don't be a price snob and do taste with an open mind. Naturally, one whiskey does not suit everyone. Virgin Bourbon is a great all-rounder at a great price.
NCdoc

Unread postby Jocephus79 » Sat Feb 28, 2015 6:31 pm

I just bought my first bottle of Virgin 101 here in Kansas. I find it to be very good. The price is good too. I have a question that will either start a fight or get me kicked off of here but why is Canadian whiskey cheaper than Bourbon? Its distilled and blended and then transported to the states but I find it a bunch cheaper if you look. What I get is only around $18.00 for a half gallon. Just wondering. Another Bourbon drinking Joe
Jocephus79

Unread postby Squire » Mon Mar 09, 2015 11:59 am

It's because Canadian Whisky is much cheaper to produce than Bourbon. At least 90% of the Canadian bulk blend is a base grain distillate brought off the still at very high proof (nearly vodka) then aged for a minimum of three years in second hand barrels. These are blended with a small amount of flavoring whisky (as little as 3%) along with other additives such as prune wine. Sounds gross but it actually works rather well. With their long proven blending techniques the Canadians can produce a wider range of whiskys than can US Bourbon/Rye producers.

Also, some of the major Canadian distilleries are owned by US companies (Brown-Forman, Barton, Beam) who import the whisky in bulk to be bottled here further saving costs. The premium brands are bottled there but the value brands are bottled here.
Squire

Previous

Return to Bourbon, Straight