Black Maple Hill

Discuss any bourbon related topics here that do not belong in a forum below.

Moderator: Squire

Black Maple Hill

Unread postby JD » Sun Oct 31, 2004 9:15 pm

Anyone know where this is available? I know its not here in Indiana :( Whats your take on Black Maple hill? November Wine Enthusiast rates it pretty high - 21YO, 18YO, and 11YO?
JD

Unread postby Mark » Sun Oct 31, 2004 9:22 pm

You can find it online at HiTimeWine.net I have ordered from them in the past and they are a good online outlet. Sometimes they are out of good deals they list online but everyone plays that game from time to time I have found.

But watch out, there are 2 different bottlings of BMH out there done by 2 different people. The first release was done by Julian Van Winkle and included a 14, 16, 18 and 20yo bourbon and a 15yo rye. The new releases include the 11, 16, 21 and I think something like a 18yo rye(?). If I recall correctly they may have been done by the Kulsveens, but please correct me if I am wrong...

I have heard very good things about the first releases done by Julian and people who I know tried the new 16yo liked it as well... I have not tried them yet, but hope to try the new ones soon. If you want to see pics of all 5 of the original ones done by Julian search for them in the database (whiskey reviews link at the top), we added pics and proofs for all of them.
Last edited by Mark on Sun Oct 31, 2004 9:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-=_Mark_=-
Mark
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Unread postby cowdery » Sun Oct 31, 2004 9:24 pm

It's around. It's here in Chicago. BMH is a private labeled bulk whiskey, i.e., there is no Black Maple Hill Distillery. Many people like it. I haven't spent a lot of time with any of the varieties, but what I've had hasn't knocked me out.
- Chuck Cowdery

Author of Bourbon, Straight
cowdery

Unread postby JD » Sun Oct 31, 2004 9:27 pm

Thanks guys, I checked out whats in the database and discovered that its made by someone new? Next time in Chicago I may look it up.
JD

Unread postby TNbourbon » Sun Oct 31, 2004 11:15 pm

An area retailer got it registered and stocked in TN after I started asking about it. It took months, so I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of places just don't bother.
The 16yo, which I currently have, is one of my 'mood' bourbons -- it's not bad if I'm in the mood for it, but there are times when I don't much care for it, too. A lot of menthol/eucalyptus/medicinal notes.
I've tasted both the 11yo and 21yo, too. The 11yo is, I think, the best buy of the bunch. The above-mentioned tastes are more understated, and it's only about 60% the price of the 16 (which is $80+).
The 21yo is remarkably balanced for its age -- the wood doesn't overwhelm you, and it tamps down the medicine-like flavors. I liked it best, but won't buy it at $100+.
My general impression is they're too dear for what they are.
TNbourbon

Unread postby Oregone » Mon Nov 01, 2004 8:03 pm

Oddly enough, they are even in available in Oregon. :shock:

What I've heard about them in the past ("over-aged") coupled with the high price, has dissuaded me from buying any. I'd be happy to sample for y'all, however, if someone wants to send me a few bottles, just because I'm a nice guy.
Oregone

Unread postby parshooter » Tue Nov 02, 2004 1:56 pm

I had a bottle, on the recommendation of a salesperson at hitimewine.com. It was in the upper $40 range, and I was not at all impressed. I couldn't tell you which one it was, or why I didn't care for it, I just know I didn't like it and will never buy any again.
parshooter

Unread postby Dane » Tue Nov 02, 2004 11:34 pm

I have a bottle of the 14 which I like better than most, and took a 21 to Bardstown for the festival. While I probably won't spend the money for a replacement, I found the 21 to be very enjoyable with a lot less woodiness than expected. It's no Pappy 20, but then what is?
Dane

Unread postby tlsmothers » Thu Nov 04, 2004 7:04 pm

I sell 'em all in the newer bottlings, including an 18 year rye. Only ones I've tried was the 16 and the 21. I preferred the 16 over the 21, feeling it better balanced, which leads me to believe that TNBourbon is prolly dead on with the 11 being even better balanced and not too woody.
"Drinking just to get drunk is like having sex just to get pregnant." --Robert Hess
tlsmothers

Unread postby TNbourbon » Thu Nov 04, 2004 10:56 pm

tlsmothers wrote:... which leads me to believe that TNBourbon is prolly dead on with the 11 being even better balanced and not too woody.

Well, maybe dead head rather than dead on -- I said that about the 21yo.
TNbourbon

Unread postby tlsmothers » Fri Nov 12, 2004 12:18 am

My bad. I think I read through your post too quickly and didn't get your meaning just right. :rolleyes:
"Drinking just to get drunk is like having sex just to get pregnant." --Robert Hess
tlsmothers

Return to Bourbon, Straight