Bourbon 'N' 'Gars - Heavenly Pairings

Fire one up and talk about your favorite smokes here.

Moderator: Squire

Unread postby CgarSmoker » Fri Aug 05, 2005 12:43 pm

I had an '04 BBF with a glass of a local barrel purchase of Elmer T Lee yesterday at my local cigar shop.
YummY!
CgarSmoker

Unread postby bunghole » Fri Aug 05, 2005 1:29 pm

CgarSmoker wrote:I had an '04 BBF with a glass of a local barrel purchase of Elmer T Lee yesterday at my local cigar shop.
YummY!

Pardon me, CgarSmoker, but how did you come by a contraband Bolivar Belicoso Fino (Cubano) in you local smoke shop? More importantly do they serve Elmer T. Lee to browzers?

Where the hell do you live?

Send directions!

Pants Away!

Linn - :smilecigar:
bunghole

Unread postby CgarSmoker » Fri Aug 05, 2005 5:27 pm

As you can imagine, I brought my own BBF to my local shop here in San Francisco. Of course, I always bring some to share :wink:

While no liquor is sold, the "Backroom Bar" there rivals many drinking establishments in the city. I brought in this particular bottle of ETL after purchasing it from a friend who bought the barrel from BT. Again, a sharing thing.

Did I mention that sharing is GOOD... :partyman:

If you are ever in SF, PLEASE CALL ME!!!
CgarSmoker

Unread postby bunghole » Sat Aug 06, 2005 8:41 pm

Well CgarSmoker the chances of me ever being in San Francisco are slim, but you never know. :wink:

:arrow: ima :smilebox:
bunghole

Unread postby CgarSmoker » Mon Aug 08, 2005 4:47 pm

Alrighty then, If I'm ever in Stuart's Draft, Virginia...

I'll call you. :smilecigar:
CgarSmoker

Unread postby bunghole » Mon Aug 08, 2005 5:27 pm

CgarSmoker wrote:Alrighty then, If I'm ever in Stuart's Draft, Virginia...

I'll call you. :smilecigar:

You got it! ima easy to find.

:arrow: ima :smilebox:
bunghole

Unread postby parshooter » Thu Aug 11, 2005 12:13 pm

I don't really think so much about which bourbon goes with which cigar. I will be in the mood for a certain bourbon, so that is what I drink. I will be in the mood for a certain cigar, so that is what I smoke. I haven't had a bad experience with any pairings. Of course, a stronger cigar is in order with Stagg or ER17 8)
parshooter

Unread postby White Lightning » Sun Aug 14, 2005 9:42 pm

bourbonv wrote:Linn,
I met a person from a cigar club here in Louisville at Bourbon's Bistro the other day. We started talking about bourbon and cigars. He believes that bourbon is the best spirit to have with a cigar and says he has tried them all - single malts, ports, cognac, etc... He is of the opinion that your bourbon should be opposite of your cigar i.e. if it is a spicey cigar then a sweeter but flavorfull bourbon like Pappy 15yo should be smoked with it while if it is a milder smoke then something more spicey like Old Grand Dad 114 is more appropriate. Any comments on this yourself?

Mike Veach

Mike:

In many cases I agree with that. However in most instances the cigars I smoke are the ones Bunghole said he isn't discussing in detail here LOL.

On that note I've found compliments in cigars that are lets say considered weaker or less wirery as a line pairing them with whiskies I consider to more of the powerhouse type. For instance I find Hoyo Epicure #2's to go well with Ryes in particular the Sazerac. While others have said they'd find the Sazerac too powerful to not have a bolder cigar accompany it. Those same guys would probably laugh me off the face of the earth if I also mentioned that I like the same cigar with George T. Staggs - but ohh well.

For me it is nice when you match a bold cigar with a bold whiskey but it can be a difficult task and more often than not - for me - it winds up being a conflict. I either enjoy the cigar or I enjoy the whiskey... sometimes sacrificing one for the other.

More powerful cigars Partagas and Romeo Y Julietas for instance I tend to run with softer easier whiskies. Sounds like the guy you bumped into has similar taste / experience to me.
ψ£
White Lightning

Unread postby White Lightning » Sun Aug 14, 2005 9:50 pm

Ohh yeah... the barrel puchase Elmer that has been circulating around those parts. That was the best almost kept secret there ever was LOL.

I believe I know the shop cgarsmoker is speaking of... nice little spot too... other than the smoke tumbling out of the place you'd never know it wasn't just a gift shop in the lobby of some corporate building. If this is the place I'm thinking of I've also had some Rum while there that I don't believe you can come across stateside... likely supplied by guys like cgarsmoker.
:wink:
ψ£
White Lightning

Unread postby bourbonv » Mon Aug 15, 2005 10:05 am

I think I would tend to agree that the cigar should be complimentary because when drinking a very complex bourbon, then I don't want a strong cigar messing with my taste buds, while a flavorful cigar can add flavor to some otherwise "brown vodka" pours of bourbon.

Mike Veach
Mike Veach
"Our people live almost exclusively on whiskey" - E H Taylor, Jr. 25 April 1873
bourbonv

Unread postby White Lightning » Mon Aug 15, 2005 12:33 pm

Mike:

Don't get me wrong I enjoy some fabulous cigars -- I don't pair them with trash like Southern disComfort (if that is what you meant by souped up colored vodka).

Fuller bodied smokes I pair with things like EWSB, Hancock's PR, one of the Birthday Bourbons, maybe Blanton's and maybe Knob Creek. I also find Woodford Reserve to work well with this and upper level medium bodied cigars. Basil Hayden's seems like it would work here too but that's just not one of my favorites -- I have tried it with cigars and though it's gotten by, I still found it to not be something I'd knock over anything else to get to no matter the circumstance.

For Medium bodied I tend to pair things like Knob Creek, Blanton's, Rare Breed, Old Rip 15, (maybe) Rock Hill Farms, Baker's etc.

For light bodied smokes I've had best results with things like Sazerac Rye 18, George T. Stagg, A H Hirsch 16, Pappy Van Winkle 20, Old Rip and Pappy 15, Russell's Reserve, VWFR 13 Rye... to name a few.

But as Linn indicated there are many other nuances to consider besides the black and white descriptions we are making here. For instance some of the cigars I smoke are 15 or more years old and not necessarily of the same origin thus reflecting differently in the views and opinions of others.

PM me if ya like -- I'll send you a couple of cigars to experiment with.
Last edited by White Lightning on Tue Aug 16, 2005 12:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ψ£
White Lightning

Unread postby bourbonv » Mon Aug 15, 2005 12:49 pm

The products I refer to as "Brown Vodka" are the lightl flavored bourbons such as Basil Hayden or Maker's Mark (modern version). I found myself actually enjoying some Basil Hayden when smoking a very flavorful cigar Linn had sent in a cigar for Stagg trade. I found the cigar flavors actually enhanced the finish of the bourbon.

Mike Veach
Mike Veach
"Our people live almost exclusively on whiskey" - E H Taylor, Jr. 25 April 1873
bourbonv

Unread postby White Lightning » Tue Aug 16, 2005 10:09 am

My fault when you mentioned the word vodka... I got carried away LOL.

I never discount that maybe it's just me and my personal taste but my experience seems to agree with the conclusion you and the person who advised you came away with.

There are a few bourbons that I tend to rarely find myself in the company of alone. I realize Woodford Reserve is quite popular (and I admit me being short at times, hasn't permitted me to have vast amounts of it) but the Woodford I've personally tasted in the past I've found to be great with a medium - full bodied cigar. Alone it hasn't been nearly as inspiring.

Over the last couple of years Elijah Craig has seemed to edge away - either that or my palate has shifted significantly -- but the finish is sharper in my opinion. As much as I use to enjoy the 12 recent samples have lead me to the (personal) conclusion that it's another that I find enhanced and more enjoyable with a good cigar than stand alone.
ψ£
White Lightning

Unread postby bunghole » Tue Aug 16, 2005 10:51 am

White Lightning wrote:
But as Linn indicated there are many other nuances to consider besides the black and white descriptions we are making here. For instance some of the cigars I smoke are 15 or more years old and not necessarily of the same origin thus reflecting differently in the views and opinions of others.

PM me if ya like -- I'll send you a couple of cigars to experiment with.

WL - Finally we agree! I know you're speaking to Mike V., but I'm sending a you a PM anyway! ima like to smoke one of those sticks!

:arrow: imacigarwhore :!:
bunghole

Unread postby CgarSmoker » Wed Aug 17, 2005 12:45 pm

:D @ WL

Who Me?
CgarSmoker

Previous

Return to The Humidor