Checkin' out the Bourbons Bistro

Share your bourbon related travel stories with us here.

Moderator: Squire

Checkin' out the Bourbons Bistro

Unread postby brendaj » Wed Aug 03, 2005 5:30 pm

Had a great time last night! I met Mike V. @ the Bourbons Bistro. This is Louisville's Bourbon mecca, no doubt! Here's a shot as I was walking in.
Attachments
bldgfront.jpg
bldgfront.jpg (39.49 KiB) Viewed 11613 times
As a Kentuckian, I consider it my civic duty to drink Bourbon, smoke and bet the ponies. Its a tuff job, but someone has to do it...
brendaj

Unread postby brendaj » Wed Aug 03, 2005 5:37 pm

When I got in the door, Mike and John (one of the owners) greeted me. We were joined later by Margot (I'm not sure that spelling is correct). Mike V. is on the left, John is on the right.
(Have a lookee at the bar. It's a huge barrel, with barrelheads finished into the top. Very cool.)
Attachments
mikemargotjohn.jpg
mikemargotjohn.jpg (62.12 KiB) Viewed 11607 times
As a Kentuckian, I consider it my civic duty to drink Bourbon, smoke and bet the ponies. Its a tuff job, but someone has to do it...
brendaj

Unread postby bourbonv » Wed Aug 03, 2005 5:55 pm

Brenda,
I am glad you enjoyed it. Let it be known that Margo(t) - I am not sure of the spelling either - Is the best looking one in the shot. I hope you got some good shots of the bar as well.

Mike Veach

P.S. - We lost the trivia game by one point last night.
Mike Veach
"Our people live almost exclusively on whiskey" - E H Taylor, Jr. 25 April 1873
bourbonv

Unread postby brendaj » Wed Aug 03, 2005 6:13 pm

Mike,
Here's a shot of the selection. And I especially enjoyed Allen's (our very wise bartender...;-) ) knowlege of what we were drinking at the moment.
Here's a shot of behind the bar. They tell me last count was 126 different Bourbons...yes!!
Attachments
bar.jpg
bar.jpg (67.27 KiB) Viewed 11596 times
Last edited by brendaj on Wed Aug 03, 2005 7:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
brendaj

Unread postby bourbonv » Wed Aug 03, 2005 6:15 pm

Actually Brenda It is 126 at this time. They are out some things such as Stagg and need to get some more. This number also includes some ryes, corn and Tennessee whiskey as well. Even so it is a great selection.

Mike Veach
Mike Veach
bourbonv

Unread postby brendaj » Wed Aug 03, 2005 6:23 pm

Here's Allen, moving so fast he blurs the shot... :lol:
Seriously, he's pouring Mike a taste of something that started with an H (Hancock's?)... :lol: It's a tuff job, working your way thru the 'Bourbon alphabet'... :wink:

Sorry about that point Mike... :wink:
Attachments
allen.jpg
allen.jpg (30.81 KiB) Viewed 11589 times
brendaj

Unread postby Mark » Wed Aug 03, 2005 6:37 pm

Brenda, as always, thanks for posting some photos of the place! I'm sure a great time was had by all, can't wait for us all to share drinks together there when we make it over to KY again.

It is nice to see a place that has one hell of a great bourbon selection in plain view and has staff that is knowledgeable about them. :cheers: Cheers to the Bourbons Bistro!
-=_Mark_=-
Mark
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Unread postby brendaj » Wed Aug 03, 2005 6:49 pm

I ordered from the single barrel flight. My choices were Blantons, Elmer T. Lee, Evan Willaims Single Barrel, Four Roses Single Barrel, Jack Daniel's Single Barrel or Kentucky Spirit (pick 3). I chose Blantons, Four Roses Single Barrel and Kentucky Spirit.

Here's an odd thing. When Allen brought three glasses to me, I took a sip of each one. My initial reaction was the Blantons was untouchable. The hands-down winner. However, with time, air, and repeated sipping, we looked up and it was the Kentucky Spirit that was gone first. This in itself says much.. :lol:

I choose Kentucky Spirit first
Blantons (93 proof) a close second
Four Roses Single Barrel third
Attachments
flight.jpg
flight.jpg (54.42 KiB) Viewed 11581 times
brendaj

Unread postby brendaj » Wed Aug 03, 2005 7:01 pm

Mark,
Yepper, Mike's been saying it, and it's true. Bourbons Bistro rocks!
I managed to wrangle a promise of a recipe for chocolate bread pudding with caramel and Bourbon glace'...;-) Don't have it yet, but I'll pass it along asap.

Here's Chef Chris in the kitchen. It's pretty cool, you can stand on the sidewalk infront of the building and watch them cook!
Attachments
chrisatwork.jpg
chrisatwork.jpg (48.07 KiB) Viewed 11576 times
brendaj

Unread postby brendaj » Wed Aug 03, 2005 7:18 pm

Here's a shot of John, Margot (can't really see them) and Jason (the other owner).
Thanks to Mike for meeting me there, I plan to get to the Bistro as often as I can!
Attachments
johnmargotjason.jpg
johnmargotjason.jpg (64.27 KiB) Viewed 11565 times
brendaj

Unread postby Mike » Wed Aug 03, 2005 7:25 pm

Shucks Brendaj, I wanted to see you too!!
Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rage at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light. - Dylan Thomas
Mike

Unread postby Brewer » Wed Aug 03, 2005 7:53 pm

Looks like a very cool, comfortable place to enjoy a nice variety of bourbons. BTW, Brenda, from your picture of your 3 bourbons, is that a typical pour? If so, its quite generous. Also Brenda, there's some nice pix there, thanks for sharing and giving the rest of us a "look" at the place.

I hope to be able to visit with y'all one of these days at the Bistro!
Bob
Brewer

Unread postby bourbonv » Wed Aug 03, 2005 8:04 pm

The Bourbon's Bistro has been getting some flak from a nightlife writer in the paper about their prices. They are more expensive than the Jockey Silks (the bar that replaced D Marie's at the Galt House) but are pretty much the same as Maker's Mark Bar. The difference in my opinion (and why Mr. Pucket is an idiot in my opinion as well) is that both Jockey Silks and Maker's Mark Bar has multi million dollar corporations behind them and can afford to charge what they want. Bourbon's Bistro is just a couple of guys who love bourbon trying to make a go in the restaurant business. And Believe me, Louisville is a tough market with more than their fare share of great restaurants as competition. To balance their higher prices than Jockey Silks, Jason and John insist upon a good healthy 1 ounce pour and that their staff be knowledgable. In my opinion it is worth the extra price for great pours, knowledgable staff and fantastic selection with good food to boot.

A footnote here: The last time I was in Jockey Silks the person behind the bar told me her idea of a good bourbon was Booker's because it was high proof and really burned when doing beer and bourbon shooters. I was not impressed.

Mike Veach
Mike Veach
bourbonv

Unread postby brendaj » Wed Aug 03, 2005 9:02 pm

Bob,
BTW, Brenda, from your picture of your 3 bourbons, is that a typical pour?

Pretty sweet, huh? I'm not sure if that's typical, but it was perfect for me. That flight was $18. The bartender's knowledge and imput made it a bargain.

Mike,
I've been to the Maker's Lounge. This will probably say something about my age, but I found it loud, young and far too full of party to be comfortable. I couldn't hear myself think... :roll:
I'd love to visit the Jockey Silks, just to check it out. But Bourbons Bistro has a laid-back-lets-talk-about-Bourbon kinda atmosphere. I really liked it and I will be back!
Bj
brendaj

Unread postby bunghole » Thu Aug 04, 2005 8:11 am

Thanks for the photos, Bj! Next time I'm in Kentucky we'll have to go there for dinner. Is Bourbon's Bistro cigar friendly?

Linn
bunghole

Next

Return to Bourbon Expeditions