Macallan Cask Strength

Love bourbon but still enjoy an occasional foreign whisky pour as well? Discuss some of your favorites here.

Moderator: Squire

Macallan Cask Strength

Unread postby gillmang » Wed Jul 20, 2005 4:38 pm

I know there are scotch fans here and I tried this one recently and was wowed by it. The whiskey is 10 years old (minimum) and 58.1 % abv or just over the old British Sykes 100 proof. Macallan is all-sherry wood and the European (Spanish) oak type is used. Some U.S. wood, ex-bourbon or sherry, is used too by Macallan but in a separate series called Fine Oak. The regular 10 year old cask is a full-on taste of whisky moderated by rich fruity sherry wood. The extra, liqueur quality comes from that and the concentration of the high proof - all is in perfect balance even at a daunting 58% abv. If there is one thing I'd change it would be to use a higher-peated malt, in fact this whiskey tastes like it is unpeated. The Macallan before the 1960's was peated and the abandonment of peat by the house (whichreleases some peated whiskey but again in separate line) is to be regretted. Like the charred flavors in a well-aged bourbon smokiness can add complexity. But the whisky is good as it is, a rich silky depth charge of a dram. I don't know what bourbon I'd equate it to, maybe one of the Staggs. Not Blanton, it is too light (relatively speaking). If Elmer T. Lee came in a barrel strength that would get us closer. I plan to add a dash of Lagavulin to three fingers of The Macallan Cask Strength to approximate what the single whiskey was like before the Second World War but it is again very good and in relative terms is not a bad buy.

Gary
Last edited by gillmang on Wed Jul 20, 2005 10:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gillmang
Vatman

Unread postby Brewer » Wed Jul 20, 2005 5:12 pm

Yeah Gary, that is a damn good single malt. I tried it a few years ago for the first time at WhiskyFest, and soon after bought a bottle. Paid about $45 or so for it.

BTW, speaking of peat, I had a nice pour of Bowmore 12 YO last evening...which reinforces my preference for Islay style single malts when I'm in the mood for Scotch.
Bob
Brewer

Unread postby gillmang » Wed Jul 20, 2005 10:57 pm

Excellent whisky, Bob, I agree. It has, I find, a characteristic fern-like taste which may derive from the sandy local peat used to fire the malts. Good stuff, about the best there is in whisky from Scotland.

Gary
gillmang
Vatman

Unread postby Mike » Thu Jul 21, 2005 5:26 pm

Let me add a couple more Scotchs to the list of recommendations. The first is Aberlour 'a'bunadh', which is a cask strength at 120 proof. One of the best Scotchs I have had with just the right amount of sweetness.

And an Ardbeg I just picked up called 'Uigeadail', a non chill filtered, traditional strength (108.4 proof) Scotch that is also very good.
Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rage at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light. - Dylan Thomas
Mike

Unread postby Mike » Thu Jul 21, 2005 5:31 pm

By the way, as I am sure you know, Brewer, Ardbeg is an Islay scotch. This is my first taste of Ardbeg and it compares very favorably to Lagavulin!
Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rage at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light. - Dylan Thomas
Mike

Unread postby Chaz7 » Thu Jul 21, 2005 5:34 pm

Based on the review, I'll pick up a bottle of the Macallan Cask ASAP. I found a gift set (travel flask) for $39.95. Chaz.
Chaz7

Unread postby sevenmag » Thu Jul 21, 2005 8:12 pm

I have a friend who tells me you can taste the smoke in Ardbeg the next morning.
sevenmag

Return to Scotch Whisky