Wild Turkey 12 YO

Talk about rare, export, annual release and other types of similar bottlings here.

Moderator: Squire

Wild Turkey 12 YO

Unread postby The Whiskey Viking » Mon Oct 11, 2004 1:13 pm

Browsing :study: through the review section, I stumbled upon the WT 12 YO. There are two different versions featured.
If I was to buy the 12 YO Turkey, should I go for the older or newer version? :scratch:
Thanks for your input,

Thomas
The Whiskey Viking

Unread postby Mark » Mon Oct 11, 2004 1:24 pm

That I know of there have been 4 different bottles of Wild Turkey 12 yo in recent years. Before the gold labeled one in the database/reviews there was a 12yo that came in a wooden box with a fairly simple brown looking label. Also, there is still a 12yo bottle being produced for export/duty free and it differs in appearance from the previous 3.

I have had the later 3 but not the very first one in the wooden box. In my opinion the one with the gold label was superior to the newer one available thru export means. The '3rd generation' one, with the 2 seperate labels on the front of the bottle, was very good and close to the gold label version, but again in my opinion I preferred the gold label a tiny bit more. I am sure though that whichever one you acquire you will love it! They are all fine offerings from Wild Turkey. :tonqe:
-=_Mark_=-
Mark
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

WT 12YO

Unread postby The Whiskey Viking » Mon Oct 11, 2004 2:33 pm

Since I have access to the Gold Label Version, I know what to wish from Santa this year. :santa: :reindeer:
The Whiskey Viking

Unread postby tlsmothers » Mon Oct 11, 2004 7:05 pm

Your a lucky man to have 12 year available. I tasted some for the first time at the Bourbon Festival this year, but I'm not sure which one it was. Dark night, already had a few other things, and didn't pay close enough attention to the bottle, I guess. I thought it was outstanding whichever one it was.
tlsmothers

Unread postby Brewer » Mon Oct 11, 2004 8:43 pm

There were a couple of versions of the 12 Year Old at the Bourbon Festival, with one of them being the gold labeled bottlling. Both were darn good, and I wish they were available here! :cussing: Oh well, at least there's the Tribute, Russell's Reserve, Kentucky Spirit and Rare Breed! :drink:

Brewer
Brewer

Unread postby The Whiskey Viking » Tue Oct 12, 2004 6:26 am

Brewer wrote:Oh well, at least there's the Tribute, Russell's Reserve, Kentucky Spirit and Rare Breed! :drink:

Brewer

But most important of all you guys have the chance to meet people like Jimmy Russell. Something that I can only dream about. I would love to visit LeNell that sunday in November. :hmph:

Thomas
The Whiskey Viking

Unread postby Brewer » Tue Oct 12, 2004 9:29 am

Thomas,

You are absolutely right. One of the best things about visiting KY, LeNell's store and attending WhiskyFest, is meeting the people that make the bourbons we all love. Jimmy is a wonderful man as is Elmer T Lee, Julian Van Winkle, Bill Friel (Bartons) and Parker Beam. They are all very friendly and enjoy meeting/talking with people.

So Thomas, you have to start planning a trip to NY! In November, we get to visit with Jimmy at LeNell's and the next day is WhiskyFest, with all kinds of whiskey folks there! :drink:

Bob
Brewer

Unread postby The Whiskey Viking » Tue Oct 12, 2004 10:20 am

Brewer wrote:So Thomas, you have to start planning a trip to NY! In November, we get to visit with Jimmy at LeNell's and the next day is WhiskyFest, with all kinds of whiskey folks there! :drink:

Bob

It's so tempting Bob. :twisted:
Maybe I should try and save up for a trip next year. I think the airline tickets are roughly $800 for a return ticket. That should be possible.

Thomas
The Whiskey Viking

Unread postby angelshare » Thu Oct 14, 2004 9:22 pm

Tasting notes are not my forte, but at the Festival, the gazebo offerings included the gold foil version and the newer (4th?) split label version. The gold foil version edged it out in the opinion of most; having said that, you can't go wrong with either!
angelshare

Unread postby dgonano » Thu Oct 14, 2004 10:36 pm

The Gazebo was such a great experience. So many excellent choices including the WT 12's . But most seemed to favor the gold foil.

Picked up a bottle of the split label , many thanks to Stoopsie. Hope he's still holding the gold foil for me.

We had a great tasting at his place in late September. Many of this site's new members attended.
dgonano

Unread postby tlsmothers » Thu Oct 14, 2004 10:55 pm

The Whiskey Viking wrote:
Brewer wrote:It's so tempting Bob. :twisted:
Maybe I should try and save up for a trip next year. I think the airline tickets are roughly $800 for a return ticket. That should be possible.

Just think of all those fabulous bottles you can pack up in your suitcase to lug home! :wink: And maybe even a homecooked meal and evening with some of the likes of us knuckleheads.
tlsmothers

Unread postby The Whiskey Viking » Fri Oct 15, 2004 2:22 am

tlsmothers wrote:Just think of all those fabulous bottles you can pack up in your suitcase to lug home! :wink: And maybe even a homecooked meal and evening with some of the likes of us knuckleheads.

You’re absolutely right. It’s not so much that I can’t get the bottles – except for a few like Mitcher’s or Fleischmanns, it’s more the prices. I guess if I were to pack my suitcase with Pappy 20 they could almost finance my trip.
I have started a “Vacation in NY” campaign :protest: , and although sceptical my wife hasn’t :violent3: , so I guess I might be heading your way next fall. :partyman:
The Whiskey Viking

Unread postby tlsmothers » Fri Oct 15, 2004 5:38 pm

Great! And by next fall our currently gutted house will be livable again so we can have a nice bourbon get-together to welcome you to NYC.
tlsmothers

Unread postby White Lightning » Tue Oct 19, 2004 12:34 pm

I have a bottle of WT 12 from the mid 90's. Do you have dates which correspond to specific releases? That might give some indication as to where my bottle falls.
Last edited by White Lightning on Fri Oct 22, 2004 3:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
White Lightning

Unread postby White Lightning » Tue Oct 19, 2004 7:09 pm

Nevermind the above question. . . after looking in the database here, I found the bottle I have. I assume it's the second release (mid 90's).
White Lightning

Next

Return to Enthusiast Bottlings