Bourbon Tasting in California

Share your bourbon related travel stories with us here.

Moderator: Squire

Bourbon Tasting in California

Unread postby BourbonBalls » Wed Jul 13, 2005 6:32 pm

Last nite, I held a bourbon tasting in Hollywood. It was conducted at the Magic Castle (http://www.magiccastle.com) a private club for magicians and their guests. Its a club with about 5 bars in it along with performance showrooms. The bars have be sadly bourbon-lacking. Here's what they usually serve: Jim Beam, Jim Beam Black, Makers Mark, Wild Turkey 101, and the non-bourbon, JD.

I was pleased to introduce some premium bourbons to them at the tasting and the flights were 2 wheats, a low proof, a high proof and a single-barrel.

I'm originally from Louisville and have been a bourbon enthusiast but disappointed that Southern California has not been sufficiently bourbon-aware.

This tasting was for members only and let me tell you they were very anxious to learn and taste more from todays bourbons.

It was great fun and I just wanted to pass along that we're all doin' our best to expose more bourbon to the West!

Hope you enjoy the pictures......
BourbonBalls

Re: Bourbon Tasting in California

Unread postby Brewer » Thu Jul 14, 2005 9:39 am

Michael Hack wrote: I was pleased to introduce some premium bourbons to them at the tasting and the flights were 2 wheats, a low proof, a high proof and a single-barrel.
This tasting was for members only and let me tell you they were very anxious to learn and taste more from todays bourbons.

Michael,

Tell us more...what were the bourbons you introduced? How many people attended? What was the feedback you received? Did people discuss the differences between what you introduced and the standard bottlings that they're used to?
Bob
Brewer

Unread postby BourbonBalls » Sat Jul 16, 2005 10:48 am

The bourbons introduced that nite are the more common ones to everyone here at the Forum. These were readily available and were new to most of the tasters at The Magic Castle. There were 15 tasters that nite.

Assuming that everyone has been drinking wine and single malt scotchs, I actually started with the standard Jim Beam white label. #1) to get our mouths used to some alcohol after dinner, #2) to illustrate what many there considered what "whiskey" tasted like, and to #3) introduce a low aged, low proof bourbon. My intent was to let them know that what they were having next, was NOT this type of bourbon.

In fact for illustration I held up the JB and told them: "This is Gallo wine, this is Budweiser beer..... even tho all those are drinkable, we all know there is something better!" The group was an enthusiastic one and was there to learn bourbons. They knew all bourbon was not JB, but didnt know how to get a start. Thats the thrust of organizing this tasting.

SO....after the palete priming, I introduced Basil Hayden. A premium low proof (against the JB) to illustrate a low proof with double the aging.

Next I wanted to pair some wheat bourbons. Since most of them were familiar with Makers Mark, we had a taste . . . by the way, all these bourbons that nite were tasted neat, and then with a little water or one cube.

The flight with the Makers was W.L. Weller....another wheat, and same proof. They loved the Wellers!

Next was a single barrel sample of Evan Williams 1995 vintage. Another favorite and none were familiar with it!

I then moved to the higher proof bourbons which included Wild Turkey Rare breed, and Bookers. A little more water this time, and gave it a few minutes to sit. I didnt want to stay with just JB products and go with something like Knob Creek this time.

ALtho I was aware that there are much better bourbon examples for a tasting, I also knew that this was the starting block for most that attended. I also wanted to encourage the bourbons that were easily available in the stores here. While treats like Stagg and Van Winkle are available as well, they have to be hunted down and found!

I promised them that the next tasting would include the harder-to-find bourbons like Stagg and the ORVW's. Another I want to show them is simply Buffalo Trace.....They dont even ship this to California! I have a couple of bottles that I got while in KY.

Anyway...thats about it that nite. I'm trying to encourage more bourbon consumption here in Southern California. Its a tough job...but somebodies gotta do it :lol:

I intended to include pictures in my last post....let me see if it works this time:
BourbonBalls

Unread postby BourbonBalls » Sat Jul 16, 2005 10:50 am

One more time!
BourbonBalls

Unread postby Brewer » Sat Jul 16, 2005 11:04 am

Michael Hack wrote:
I then moved to the higher proof bourbons which included Wild Turkey Rare breed, and Bookers.

What did the group think of the Rare Breed and Bookers? You mentioned that they liked the Wellers; what was their impression of the Wellers in contrast to the Makers Mark?
Bob
Brewer

Unread postby bunghole » Sat Jul 16, 2005 11:11 am

Michael Hack wrote:One more time!

Umm..No. Michael are your downsizing the file size to fit the requirements of this site? It's a bit tricky.

Linn
bunghole

Unread postby bourbonv » Sat Jul 16, 2005 3:27 pm

It sounds like you did an excelent tasting. I hope that you get to do this more often because the world needs to have a little bourbon education. The next time you are in Kentucky, let me know and maybe I can help you out with an old bottle or two for even a different match up.

Mike Veach
bourbonv

Unread postby BourbonBalls » Sat Jul 16, 2005 7:31 pm

Sorry about the non-pic attachment (I'm better at tastin' than attachin') Let me try one at a time
BourbonBalls

Unread postby BourbonBalls » Sat Jul 16, 2005 7:32 pm

OK! I give up! No pics! sorry...
BourbonBalls

Unread postby Mark » Sun Jul 17, 2005 10:12 am

Here's the photos Michael was trying to upload; Sorry bout' that!
Attachments
before the tasting#1.JPG
Before the tasting #1
before the tasting#1.JPG (60.62 KiB) Viewed 11273 times
before the tasting#2.JPG
Before the tasting #2
before the tasting#2.JPG (77.75 KiB) Viewed 11273 times
behind the bar with bookers.JPG
Behind the bar with Bookers
behind the bar with bookers.JPG (66.43 KiB) Viewed 11274 times
-=_Mark_=-
Mark
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Unread postby Mark » Sun Jul 17, 2005 10:13 am

And the final 2 pics:
Attachments
behind the bar with Bookers#2.JPG
Behind the bar with Bookers #2
behind the bar with Bookers#2.JPG (70.98 KiB) Viewed 11269 times
after the tasting#2.JPG
After the tasting
after the tasting#2.JPG (61.54 KiB) Viewed 11270 times
-=_Mark_=-
Mark
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Unread postby BourbonBalls » Sun Jul 17, 2005 12:15 pm

Mark to the rescue! Thanksa again Mark. . . . .
BourbonBalls

Unread postby angelshare » Wed Jul 20, 2005 9:51 pm

Wow, looks like good fun and good bourbon was had by all. Keep up the good "work" for the cause! :cheers:
Dave & Tina
angelshare

Unread postby bunghole » Thu Jul 21, 2005 9:36 am

angelshare wrote:Wow, looks like good fun and good bourbon was had by all. Keep up the good "work" for the cause! :cheers:

Michael, it looks like you were really enjoying your work!

But where were the women & cigars?!

One of the guys looked like he took a shot of Booker's and nearly had a thermo-nuclear meltdown requiring immediate magic!

:arrow: imakadabra :drunken:
bunghole

Return to Bourbon Expeditions