SMOKES!

Fire one up and talk about your favorite smokes here.

Moderator: Squire

SMOKES!

Unread postby bunghole » Fri Jun 03, 2005 2:14 pm

Which Smokes Do You Like Best?

:arrow: ima :smilecigar:
bunghole

Re: SMOKES!

Unread postby TrueBarrel » Fri Jun 03, 2005 4:19 pm

bunghole wrote:Which Smokes Do You Like Best?

Cuban: Bolivar, Partagas, Ramon Allones, Vegas Robaina, Montecristo, Punch, Romeo y Julieta

Non-Cuban: Torano, Oliva, VSG, Opus X, Padron, La Gloria Cubana (Miami, not DR), El Rico Habano, CAO Brazilia, El Ray Del Mundo
TrueBarrel

Unread postby Strayed » Fri Jun 03, 2005 11:40 pm

Panama Red...
Maui Wowie...
Some really fine $h!t that my friend used to grow in the woods behind his neighbor's house...
Cherry Blend...
But that was long ago and far away...
These days I'm more into bourbon and rye whiskey. :smilecigar:

... But I'm open to persuasion!
=JOHN= (the "Jaye" part of "L & J dot com")
http://www.ellenjaye.com
Strayed

Unread postby bunghole » Sat Jun 04, 2005 8:51 am

Wrong Smoke John!

Right now my favorites are; H. Upmann Connoisseur Cabinet '96-30's, Partagas Spanish Rosado Ramon Y Ramon's, any maduro by Padron, Torano 2003 Tributes, Torano Signature Perfectos, and AVO Signature Lonesdales.

My choice for an inexpensive everyday stick is Uncle Mikey's Cubanidad's from mrbundles.com

I don't get to smoke many true Havana cigars. Of those that I could be sure of the Montecristo #2 really killed.

bunghole

Unread postby bourbonv » Sat Jun 04, 2005 8:36 pm

Kremer's Black Royal pipe tobacco is my everyday smoke. I do enjoy a good cigar as well and Linn has sent me some very good ones as payment for bourbon.

Mike Veach
bourbonv

Unread postby bunghole » Tue Jul 12, 2005 5:18 pm

Not many smokers here - so what!

I was rumaging around my humidors today and found a two year old PUNCH Rare Corojo! I fired that mutha up and DAMN!

What a fine toothy sick with many complex flavors!

Ya just gotta love a good smoke!

Linn
bunghole

Unread postby bunghole » Wed Jul 13, 2005 1:59 pm

Fired up a Havana Partagus Lusitania this moring. Killer smoke. Big and strong - it needed a big glass of 17 year old Eagle Rare. Sometimes only the very best will do. God Bless America!

:arrow: ima :smilebox:
bunghole

Unread postby gillmang » Sun Jul 17, 2005 11:51 am

I don't smoke now but I used to, until my mid-40's. I'll tell you something, if our Lord in heaven told me I'm in my last days I'd walk straight to the smokeshop. I used to smoke cigarettes and in the early years, I liked plain end cigarettes. Once in Plattsburgh, New York when I was about 20 I bought a small metal machine to roll cigarettes, it was called (stamped on the metal) Top. (Think about the name for a minute). The best cigarettes I ever had were made in that machine. I liked Export "A" tobaaco, made by the old Quebec concern, Macdonald Tobacco Company, later bought by RJ Reynolds Tobacco of Winston-Salem, NC and now owned by Japan Tobacco Company. Export "A" came in different strengths, I liked the green label which was the strongest. This was Canadian (Ontario-grown) cured Virginia tobacco, quite different than cigar or pipe tobaccos and different again from American Burley and Turkish cigarette blends. Cigarettes are very dangerous to one's health, I knew it even then, but youth has its ways and I got started on it and it took me years finally to stop. Still, I hope it didn't hurt me too much, I used to smoke about 10-12 a day and not too much on weekends and I stopped twice in my 30's (once for 3 years) before the final withdrawal. In later years I switched to lighter-tasting cigarettes but in the early days I liked and could "handle" the full-bore taste of the unfiltered Export "A". I recall the taste well but find it hard to describe, it wasn't spicy like traditional U.S. cigaret tobacco was but kind of earthy and loamy with a heavy edge of tarry creosote-like flavour. I used to roll them with Zig-Zag papers in the Top machine and I liked them best on camping trips in the Laurentians by a fire at night. In those years there was no thought of whiskey but we were of age to buy quarts of Molson Export Ale or O'Keefe Ale, we chilled them at the lake edge, our waters even in summer are never very warm and that beer and tobacco, in that time, watching the smoke from the campfires drift over the red canoes drying overturned on the sand, was an experience I'll never forget. Today it takes on a wistful tone because I don't live near the Laurentians and I don't smoke and I ride a bicycle for exercise instead of canoeing but the experience is indelible in my mind.

Chapter two of my early smoking career was discovering Luckies, Camels and Kents and sampling them with bourbon whiskey in the Plattsburgh bars. Great combination it was (again looked at, um, holistically, i.e., being young, a little dumb, trying new things and having fun). But I never got the taste in the end for the U.S. cigaret (except when drinking bourbon in the States when the combination seemed normal and pleasurable) so I stuck with our Canadian Virginia blends until I gave the damn things up.

Sometimes when in the States and I smell a strong U.S. cigarette it brings me right back to Your Father's Office in Plattsburgh, NY in 1971 and the taste of Old Forester or Grandad in those heavy shot glasses you used to find in places like that. A cute chick behind the bar gave me one of those glasses just before the long drive back to Montreal and I still have it. The professional tasters have their copitas and snifters and what all but for the real bourbon experience I pour a shot in my old Plattsburgh heavy-based glass and knock it back with a PBR, yessir and the only things missing are the bar chicks, the cigarettes, and being 20 - other than that nothing has changed. :)

Gary
gillmang
Vatman

Unread postby sevenmag » Sun Jul 17, 2005 4:39 pm

I was rumaging around my humidors today and found a two year old PUNCH Rare Corojo! I fired that mutha up and DAMN!

Those can be nice, but they've just never done it for me. Odd that they have no Corojo leaf in them though.

For non cubans, Padron X000, Jdn Antano, La Gloria Serie R naturals, El Rico Habano, Oliva "O"s, Fuente sungrowns, Flor de A. Allones, For good value cigar I like Mayorgas, Maria Mancini's and Mr. Bundles NSS.

As for Cubans, RASS, Upmann Mag 46's, RASCC, Hoyo Epi #2, SLR DCs.
sevenmag

Unread postby bunghole » Thu Jul 21, 2005 9:14 am

I'm in a great mood this morning! Got off work and fired up an H.Upmann Connoisseur Cabinet '96-30. This is one of my all time favorite sticks. A good cigar always makes life better, but a great cigar makes life sublime.

Pants Away!

Linn
bunghole

Unread postby parshooter » Thu Aug 11, 2005 12:11 pm

Right now I am liking the Partagas P2, the Upmann #2 and the Mag 46. Of course there are many more that I smoke, but right now, these three on the first ones I reach for :D
parshooter

Return to The Humidor