Dining Guide to Kentucky Bourbon Country

Check in here for reviews of whiskey related books and other materials

Moderator: Squire

Dining Guide to Kentucky Bourbon Country

Unread postby susanreigler » Thu May 05, 2005 10:41 am

For all you bourbon lovers coming to Kentucky this year, there's a new glove box-sized book about where to eat (including places with great bourbon lists) in the region. It's called "Adventures in Dining: Kentucky Bourbon Country." I'm the author, so of course, I recommend it! But I hope some of you on the forum will check it out and post your evaluations here. Even more, I hope you will find it a very useful guide to eating and sipping when you are in the Bluegrass State.
susanreigler

Unread postby bunghole » Thu May 05, 2005 10:53 am

Hi Susan & Welcome To Bourbon Enthusiast!

Where can we get your guide?

:arrow: ima :scratch:
bunghole

Unread postby susanreigler » Thu May 05, 2005 11:03 am

Thanks. (I've been reading for a while. This was my first post.) And you'll fine the guide on amazon.com. Just put my name in the Books search window and it will pop up.
Also, you may be interested in an article I wrote last Saturday in the Courier-Journal about Louisville's Bourbon Bars. It's at
http://www.courier-journal.com/apps/pbc ... 00319/1044
susanreigler

Unread postby TNbourbon » Thu May 05, 2005 11:37 am

Susan, I swiped (as in, downloaded for personal use) your Louisville bourbon bar synopses Monday, a day after returning from Bardstown for the Bourbon Sampler. I travel through there a couple of times a year visiting my Northern kin, so I know it will come in handy. Thanks.
TNbourbon

Unread postby susanreigler » Thu May 05, 2005 11:44 am

You're very welcome, Tim. The article was meant to be a reference for bourbon lovers. Enjoy!
Susan
susanreigler

Unread postby bourbonv » Thu May 05, 2005 4:27 pm

Let me chime in here and say that I am a faithfull reader of her column in the Courier-Journal and trust her opinion of a restraunt. I am sure that this will be a great book.

Susan, Is there a local bookstore selling the book? Many members here are from the Louisville area and might want to pick it up (myself included).

Mike Veach
bourbonv

Unread postby susanreigler » Thu May 05, 2005 5:05 pm

Thanks, Mike! Yes, Louisville area stores have the book. Carmichael's, Borders (on Shelbyville Road and Downtown) and the Barnes & Noble in teh Summit.
Susan
susanreigler

Unread postby brendaj » Fri May 20, 2005 11:06 am

Susan,
Welcome, Welcome! I especially liked your 'Bourbon 101' article in the Courier's Derby mag.
So glad you're here!
Bj
As a Kentuckian, I consider it my civic duty to drink Bourbon, smoke and bet the ponies. Its a tuff job, but someone has to do it...
brendaj

Unread postby susanreigler » Fri May 20, 2005 3:42 pm

Kentucky patriotism is VERY imporant. Happy sipping!
susanreigler

Unread postby Strayed » Sat Jul 09, 2005 12:37 pm

One amusing feature of "where to (eat, drink, visit, etc)" books is that they become outdated so quickly. Linda and I met Susan last night while visiting with Mike Veach at Bourbons Bistro, a really impressive restaurant which is just too new (a mere ten weeks old) to have been included in her fine book. You can bet it'll be featured in the next edition, though!!

Owners Jason Brauner and John Morrison have put together a very impressive eatery/drinkery in a building that was once known locally as Rascal's Bar & Grill. They've lavished a lot of attention on the restaurant, located on the neo-trendy Frankfort Avenue strip in Louisville, with chef Chris Howerton's staff creating what they call "upscale down-home" cuisine. But the chief feature for us bourbonheads is the bar, with examples of just about every currently available American whiskey (around 200 bottles), as well as a few bottles of priceless, no-longer-made whiskey that friends and customers have brought in to share. And although its name implies a focus on Bourbon, it's one of the few bars we know that offers multiple brands of rye whiskey, and even two brands of corn whiskey (Mellow Corn and Platte Valley - from a jug!)

But what really makes Bourbons Bistro so notable is that the bartending staff actually understands and appreciates the whiskey they're serving. You'll need to go a long way to find more knowledgeable enthusiasts than Allen or the lovely Margo who served us, and the other bartenders and waiters appear to be just as competent. And just as "down-home" friendly. Notwithstanding the upscale cuisine and admittedly higher-than-might-be-expected prices, the staff doesn't act like snooty "experts", intimidating the customers as can too often happen. Upon entering the front door, the immediate feeling is one of visiting friends who are building a neighborhood bar/restaurant. The owner may have paint on his hands from working on the siding this afternoon. Everyone works as if they're family.

In addition to the ultra-comprehensive selection available, the staff has also made up several interesting pre-selected "tasting flights" that feature samples of whiskeys that relate to one another in different ways. I say "preselected", but some of the "selections" are really lists from which the customer can pick. All together, it seems that one could come to this bar every other week for years and enjoy a completely different tasting experience each time.
=JOHN= (the "Jaye" part of "L & J dot com")
http://www.ellenjaye.com
Strayed

Return to The Library