Vidalia Onions a la Mike

Cookin' in the kitchen with bourbon & Brenda! Come on in and view her recipes or share with us some of your own.

Moderator: Squire

Vidalia Onions a la Mike

Unread postby Mike » Fri Jun 01, 2007 5:51 pm

Me and my son-in-law came up with this once upon a time. He is from Vidalia and still lives there.

Prepare one nice sized onion for each person to be served.

Peel the outer layer off the onion

Core the onion about 3/4 of the way down

Into the hole from coring put a pat of real butter, a teaspoon of Tone's Beef Base (similiar to Demi-Glaze but not near so costly) which is like bullion but much richer and darker......and tastier. I believe I got my Tone's at Sam's Warehouse. Drizzle into the core about a teaspoon of bourbon (don't use Old Crow.......use something rich in flavor).

Wrap the onion(s) in foil and cook on the grill or in the oven for a half hour or so. The onion gets steamed with the great flavors.

As Justin Wilson used to say, 'Man, that some good stuff!'

Sopping up the juice that's left after you eat your onion with some of MikeK's bread would be some mighty fine eating.
Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rage at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light. - Dylan Thomas
Mike

Unread postby brendaj » Fri Jun 01, 2007 6:10 pm

Mike,
Sopping up the juice that's left after you eat your onion with some of MikeK's bread would be some mighty fine eating.

I just can't believe how many wonderful ideas have popped up already! This one sounds just crazy good! I love Vidalias...could almost eat one raw. This is an absolute must-try!

Also, I agree with you about the Tone's. Can't be beat. I love the idea that the first ingredient on the label is actually beef... :thumbleft:
Bj
As a Kentuckian, I consider it my civic duty to drink Bourbon, smoke and bet the ponies. Its a tuff job, but someone has to do it...
brendaj

Re: Vidalia Onions a la Mike

Unread postby 393foureyedfox » Tue Jun 25, 2013 7:23 pm

improvised a bit with a half a chicken boullion cube in each, with light butter (thats all we keep around here) and used EW BIB.

not bad. it surely wouldve been better with the beef flavoring you used and real fat-butter though!
393foureyedfox

Unread postby devilscut » Wed Jun 26, 2013 12:12 pm

An even better, sweeter and milder onion than Vidalia is the Texas 1015 onion, if you can find them. You can eat them like an apple.
devilscut

Unread postby kellybeehler » Mon Aug 26, 2013 2:59 am

Hey devilscut can you please provide the recipe of Texas 1015 onion?I have heard a lot about it but can't get it anywhere.
kellybeehler

Unread postby devilscut » Mon Aug 26, 2013 12:28 pm

I don't know what you mean by recipe, but outside of Texas, they are hard to find. You have to check little fruit markets, or you can order them to plant yourself, through seed catalogs. They are
excellent. I moved here from Texas, and you can eat these onions like an apple. They are mild and sweet. I love them! They were created by Texas A&M University. The name 1015 comes from
their planting time, October 15th. Good luck finding them. The next closest thing is Vidalia onions.
devilscut

Return to Bourbon Recipes