Limonchello

Cookin' in the kitchen with bourbon & Brenda! Come on in and view her recipes or share with us some of your own.

Moderator: Squire

Limonchello

Unread postby ChuckMick » Sun Jul 22, 2007 11:41 am

All right I know this is not about bourbon but I thought I'd post this recipe anyway since it uses a BT product. Please allow me this inconsistency.

Homemade Limoncello

750 ml Vodka (I used Rain vodka distilled seven times at Buffalo Trace)
10 lemons
1.5 cups sugar
1 cup water

Take a vegetable peeler and peel the zest off of the 10 lemons. Take a large jar with a good sealing lid and pour the contents of the vodka into it. Add the peel (try to get the zest only) from the 10 lemons into the jar and let it steep for two weeks shaking the jar every day. At the end of the two weeks put the sugar into a pan with the water and heat until the sugar is dissolved. Remove from heat and chill in the refrigerator until cool. Strain the vodka lemon zest mixture and add the sugar water. Chill and drink. Very tasty. The quality of the finished product is dependant on the quality of the products used. Choose the best and you will not be disappointed with the results.

:D

ChuckMick
Bourbon is the elixir of choice
ChuckMick

Re: Limonchello

Unread postby 393foureyedfox » Sun Jun 02, 2013 12:41 am

i do something very similar, but it takes 3 months start to finish

also, instead of using vodka, i do it with 1/2 vodka, and 1/2 everclear.....makes it better!

all vodka, its too weak.....all everclear, its too potent.

keeps well in the freezer, with all that alcohol, it wont even get icy, just slightly syrupy.

awesome to mix with some fresh made (real lemons, no mix crap) sweet lemonade!
393foureyedfox

Unread postby EllenJ » Sun Jun 02, 2013 10:48 am

I love limoncello, either all by itself or as the lemon-and-simple-syrup part of a cocktail such as an old fashion.
I use the Everclear/vodka version, but I kind of think the 3 months part is overkill. I’ve let it sit for 2 months and don’t really notice much difference from 2 weeks. In fact, if you don’t have a “zester” (a tool that avoids the pith in the lemon peel) the longer time will probably just extract more bitter stuff.

Anyway, what I wanted to add is that, while home-made limoncello is delicious and certainly cheaper than the bottled varieties, it’s still just limoncello. Why not climb completely out of the box and make it with bourbon? As ChuckMick noted, quality counts, so use good bourbon for this, not stuff you don’t like. Think of what you’d make a bourbon sour or mint julep out of. Maker’s Mark, all by itself should be great. Rare Breed or Bookers, with their flavor and color brought down to a more manageable level by mixing with vodka might be even better (never tried that myself, but I just thought of it).

The end product wouldn’t be a substitute for limoncello; it would be a different liqueur altogether. But it would taste delicious on a hot afternoon (perhaps in late June? Hey ChuckMick, are you coming?) right out of the freezer (no ice needed!).
=JOHN=
(the "Jaye" part of "L 'n' J dot com")
http://www.ellenjaye.com
EllenJ

Unread postby 393foureyedfox » Sun Jun 02, 2013 10:50 pm

i cant wrap my mind around making limoncello with bourbon....

I used to LOVE my vodka-everclear limoncello, then got burnt out on it. Then I just hit it now and then. I finished off my last of it a few months ago, so i need to make more. Everyone wants some when they come over! well, MOST everyone.

I gave some to my friend's daughter a few years back at a party, then she turned up pregnant. at least i had nothing directly to do with that!
393foureyedfox

Unread postby EllenJ » Mon Jun 03, 2013 1:14 pm

393foureyedfox wrote:I gave some to my friend's daughter a few years back at a party, then she turned up pregnant. at least i had nothing directly to do with that!

Well, the warning on the label DOES state that women should not drink alcohol beverages if they are pregnant, with the clear implication that the warning also applies if said woman anticipates that she may become pregnant. Hell, if it weren't for alcohol, many of them wouldn't have become pregnant in the first place. :roll:
My birthday is in early September and I feel I can safely attribute my very existence to a particularly romantic New Year's party. :love4: :love10: :discodance:
=JOHN=
(the "Jaye" part of "L 'n' J dot com")
http://www.ellenjaye.com
EllenJ

Unread postby 393foureyedfox » Mon Jun 03, 2013 5:08 pm

EllenJ wrote: Hell, if it weren't for alcohol, many of them wouldn't have become pregnant in the first place. :roll:
My birthday is in early September and I feel I can safely attribute my very existence to a particularly romantic New Year's party. :love4: :love10: :discodance:

exactly!

a quick timeline says I was the product of a happy St. Patricks night in '75.....
393foureyedfox

Unread postby Edward Ronald » Thu Jun 20, 2013 12:16 am

This is awesome and impressive post. I love this Bourbon Recipe which impresses me a lot. First time I got satisfaction to read complete recipe of Boubon. Like it.
Edward Ronald

Unread postby 393foureyedfox » Mon Jul 08, 2013 10:54 pm

just made my latest batch. i make a batch about every two years, it yields 3 liters.

750 40% vodka
750 95% everlear
6 cups water
4 cups sugar
zest of 20 lemons

yields 3 liters of 35% (70 proof) limoncello. i keep it in the freezer, it gets mildly syrupy, but never ices over at this proof. drink it straight or add it to sweet tea or fresh home made lemonade (not the mix crap), great stuff!

heres how to make it

zest 20 lemons and soak the zest in 750mL of vodka of your choice, cover and seal
wait a few weeks
add 750mL of everclear
wait a few weeks
heat water and sugar, stirring until dissolved. allow to cool!
add to vodka/everclear/zest
let it sit a few more days, then filter out the zest and bottle it.

i keep it in the freezer because it is great ice cold, and I am not sure how it would keep on a room temp shelf with all that sugar in it.

enjoy!
393foureyedfox

Unread postby TonyW » Sun Aug 18, 2013 9:25 pm

I've also used this same basic recipe with oranges to make orangecello. Very good. I've just used vodka. The Italians use some rough grain alcohol which has a nice bite to it.
“A respectable amount of bourbon to pour in a glass is about two fingers worth. Lucky for me I have big fingers”

Frederick Booker Noe II
TonyW

Unread postby gillmang » Mon Aug 19, 2013 7:02 am

John's suggestion to use bourbon makes perfect sense IMO for a pre-made batch of Bourbon Sour. It's not a variation on Limonchello but a different drink. Bitters would be optional, as would the egg white thing and both could be used when individual drinks are poured. Limes and rum, Rum Sour, limes and Pisco, Pisco Sour. And so on.

Gary
gillmang
Vatman

Return to Bourbon Recipes