You are curious about Bourbon, aren't you?

Discuss any bourbon related topics here that do not belong in a forum below.

Moderator: Squire

You are curious about Bourbon, aren't you?

Unread postby Mike » Mon Jun 18, 2012 7:49 pm

If you have not tried Evan Williams Single Barrel Bourbon, you should. It is reasonably priced, and in my opinion, an excellent American Whiskey, one of the few under 90 proof American Whiskies I would go out of my way to find. And, to my knowledge it is readily available. Also in my opinion, it delivers that softer sweetness, and dare I say it, that almost delicate taste, that only Heaven Hill whiskies offer among American Whiskies. Their 'House Taste' offers a contrast with the other major distillers. None of these 'House Tastes' is really 'better' than the others, and they all offer something unique to the American Whiskey Drinker (that would be you, I presume?) .

So, explore and enjoy!

Now, being as how, in general, I prefer whiskey to be at least 90 proof, I wonder if there is a 90+ proof Evan Williams Single Barrel whiskey. Well, as it happens, Ezra B Single Barrel is a Heaven Hill product and is a bit older than Evan Williams Single Barrel (by two years) and is offered at 99 proof. This truly is a case of younger brother/older, stronger brother.

While I like EWBS so much because of its delicacy, I truly cannot say which of the two I prefer. So I suggest (you are curious about Bourbon, aren't you?) you buy a bottle of each and compare them.

Which ever one you like best, the other will still offer it own complete satisfaction with a nice contrast.
Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rage at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light. - Dylan Thomas
Mike

Re: You are curious about Bourbon, aren't you?

Unread postby WhiskeyBro » Fri Jun 22, 2012 1:08 am

Amen! Currently a proud owner of the 2002 vintage. For the price, I think its hands-down the best single barrel value you can get. In addition, it's a really great bourbon on its own merits. I've heard great things about the 2000 vintage, but sadly I've never been able to try it :(
WhiskeyBro

Unread postby Bourbon Joe » Fri Jun 22, 2012 7:54 am

I had the EWSB in a blind tasting way back when. They were 2004, 2005 and 2006. These were not that good IMO. I haven't bought it since. Just my 2 cents.
Joe
Colonel Joseph B. "Bourbon Joe" Koch

Bourbon, It's cheaper than therapy!
Bourbon Joe
Erudite Bourbonite
Erudite Bourbonite

Unread postby PaulO » Fri Jun 22, 2012 8:22 am

I would say EWSB is pretty much what I expected; a premium version of regular EW. When I started to get interested in bourbon, I usually had some EW around (back when it had the 7 year old age statement). I tried several of the late '90s EWSB releases, and thought they were ok, an improvement on regular EW. It was worth it to satisfy my curiosity, but it didn't end up in the batting line up. I can see why some people really like it. You could serve it to people that drink stuff like Jack, or Crown, and it wouldn't knock them off of their chair. Of the HH brands I prefer Fighting Cock, and JTS Brown. :geek:
PaulO

Unread postby bunghole » Sat Jun 23, 2012 9:19 pm

I like the new 2002 vintage Evan Williams Single Barrel. I find it excellent on all counts: Color; Nose, Viscosity, Flavor, and Finish.

Maybe not the best of the Bourbon Breed, but none-the-less this dog will hunt.

Now Shut Up

And

DRINK IT MAN! DRINK IT!

I am Ima Saint Bunghole, and I approve of this drunkeness.

:lol:
"A Kind Word Never Broke A Tooth."
bunghole

Unread postby MauiSon » Sat Jul 07, 2012 7:32 pm

I was lucky to snag a 2000 and a 2001 ($23.49+ea) when I found a Vintage Bourbon 17 ($52.99+). These are all 'in the bunker' for now, as I slowly flex my 'bourbon wings'. Island selection is sparse, ya gotta grab what ya c (neva c Ezra B, cuz!).
MauiSon

Unread postby jr1968 » Sun Jul 08, 2012 12:57 am

I had a bottle of 2001 and expected it to be better, but seeing I'am new to Bourbon maybe it was
just me?

jr1968
jr1968

Unread postby Bob Barker » Sun Apr 21, 2013 7:39 pm

I thought 2001 was very good but for the same price the best single barrel bourbon IMO is eagle rare 10yo delicious
Bob Barker

Unread postby RandyG » Mon Apr 22, 2013 4:32 pm

I'll have to try this Ezra Brooks @ 99 proof as I too wish EWSB was offered at 100 or even 105, which seems to be my sweet spot.

Thanks Mike.

Cheers,
Randy
RandyG

Unread postby MikeB » Wed Apr 24, 2013 7:33 am

Thanks for all you information, guys! Really like to read this forum =)

Return to Bourbon, Straight