Need info on General Miles Bourbon Whiskey

Have an old/rare bottle you'd like some more info on?

Moderator: Squire

Need info on General Miles Bourbon Whiskey

Unread postby h1o7e3 » Tue Oct 09, 2012 5:15 pm

I have come in possession of an unopened bottle of "General Miles Private Stock Kentucky Straight Bourbon Whiskey"
General Miles 1.JPG
General Miles 1.JPG (193.65 KiB) Viewed 6729 times
After a lengthy search for information about this brand of bourbon I have found very little. So here is what I do know. The bourbon is named after General J Fred Miles who was a Louisville/Lexington entrepreneur and socialite who was involved in oil, banking, horse racing, and of course distilling. The "General" in his name came from serving several terms as the national leader of the Kentucky Colonels. The only reference I found to General Miles Bourbon is in the February 16, 1970 issue of Sports Illustrated which states: "General J. Fred Miles of Louisville, who sold his bourbon factory but nailed it down in the contract that, as long as he lived, 'General Miles' straight bourbon, 100-proof, was to be manufactured." J. Fred Miles passed away August 22, 1963. I believe this particular bottle was manufactured in 1958 and aged until 1962 as evidenced by the dates on the tax seal
General Miles 2.JPG
General Miles 2.JPG (138.96 KiB) Viewed 6729 times

Any information or leads on resources would be greatly appreciated. In particular, I'm trying to find the dates of manufacture and how General Miles Bourbon came into being. Thanks in advance for any help, cheers.
h1o7e3

Re: Need info on General Miles Bourbon Whiskey

Unread postby Kathryn » Mon Feb 18, 2013 7:15 pm

I have an old cast iron bell in my yard with the following written on it and am interested to sell it. Maybe some connection?. Our house is for sale and so I wish for the bell to be sold to someone that would appreciate its history in case new owners of our home would not. It's very large and on a metal post. Inscription on bell reads as follows:.
To: General J. Fred Miles
We have lived in this house for 11 years. I have looked for information on these gentlemen periodically over the years but just recently this was the first information I have found on either of them.
The bell is sort of blue green and still works if you push hard on it. The deck on our home was built around it so as not to disturb it. The property here is somehow connected to the old miles estate I have been told.
Kathryn

Unread postby rrounds » Sun Apr 30, 2017 12:35 am

Are their still bottles of Gen Miles Bourbon? If so, I may be interested in purchasing some.

Thanks,

Randy
rrounds

Unread postby rrounds » Sun Apr 30, 2017 12:45 pm

I also lived on the Miles estate as my father was married to the daughter of General Miles. I would love to get more information on the bell. Look forward to hearing from you.

Thanks,

Randy
rrounds

Return to Collector's Corner