Got myself a "age your own whiskey" kit

Discuss any bourbon related topics here that do not belong in a forum below.

Moderator: Squire

Got myself a "age your own whiskey" kit

Unread postby Vital » Thu Aug 30, 2012 12:03 pm

Got me of of these guys:

http://www.binnys.com/spirits/Age_Your_ ... 97952.html

Never had it before, never aged anything so have no experience with it.
For the first batch i'll go with a regular "per instructions" set up: white dog + some water and wait. Nothing fancy.

1. Since it's a small barrel (2Liter) what would be the max amount of time you'd keep white dog in there? I usually love the richness of older whiskey and always preffer 10+ years over 4-8 years (eagle rare 10 and EC12 are my favourites) but def don't wanna overdoit and keep it there till it goes bad. With 2 Liter sized barrels it's only a matter of a few months so.....
2. What would you recomend for microclimates? Once it gets colder out I can keep it outside overnight everynight and bring it back to a heated home when sun it up ifit'll help with anyhing. Basically what I'm asking here is what effect exactly each change of temperature/time brings? I'll baby this thins as much as I need to, just need to know what I gatta do here.

For my next batches I'll experiment some with adding already made whisleky, some flavour additives to age together with white dogs and/or other whiskeys.... What would you recomend here?
Vital

Re: Got myself a "age your own whiskey" kit

Unread postby Bourbon HQ » Thu Aug 30, 2012 12:28 pm

I bought 2 kits. One I aged 3 months and the other 6 months. It seemed that about 4-5 months with hot and cold weather worked the best. I aged mine on the front porch.
Bourbon HQ

Unread postby Vital » Thu Jan 10, 2013 10:43 pm

I'm at 4 1/2 months of randomly moving it from inside of the house to outside for that cold eastern winter air.
I've tried it a few times in between and it's always the same - LOTS of wood and charcoal. 2 extremely dominating profiles. Whatever else there might possibly be is literally suffocated by those 2. With age it gets a little more mellow and easy to sip on but still not in the league of a "good sipping whiskey"

Anyways... I think I'm gonna bottle it now. I have some leftovers of EC12 and Willet I can use to mix my own stuff with. Wanted to finish EC and Willet for a while now anyways haha.

Question on NEXT STEP is this:

When I pour my current liquid out, what do I use to re-fill my barrel with? Get any "white dog" unaged whiskey at the store? Some cheap aged bourbon (or maybe scotch??) and try to make it better? Vodka?? Some non-smokey whiskey like Glenlivet 12 in hopes of getting some smoke-like taste out of charcoal??
Vital

Unread postby Birdo » Fri Jan 11, 2013 8:27 am

Once was enough for me. It's pricey and mine tasted bad. Now, I only hire experts to make my bourbon, they work at Beam, HH, 4R's, and Wild Turkey.
Birdo

Unread postby Squire » Mon Jan 14, 2013 1:27 am

I'm afraid this sort of exercise is too much like work to interest me.
Squire

Return to Bourbon, Straight