Seeking info on this list of Bourbons

Discuss any bourbon related topics here that do not belong in a forum below.

Moderator: Squire

Seeking info on this list of Bourbons

Unread postby theset74 » Fri Oct 12, 2012 10:17 am

Alright guys, Im still trying to figure my way around the different bourbons and so far I have worked with Buffalo Trace, Makers Mark, Makers 46, Woodford, and ive dabbled with Knob Creek occasionally. So yesterday I was going through the ABC store (ding-ding-ding i live in NC) and i took some few notes on bottles and wanted to see how you guys would rate these or what advice you could give.

So maybe give a little info about any of them that you know, and if you want to play along rate them in YOUR opinion from best to worst (1-9, #1 being the best and #9 being the worst)

Ok here goes:

Henry McKenna 10 y.o. 100 proof

Larceny, Very Small Batch, (Old Fizgerald?) 92 proof

Basil Hayden's 8 y.o. 80 proof

Wild Turkey Rare Breed 108.2 proof

Evan Williams Single Barrel Vintage 10 y.o. 86.6 proof

Elijah Craig 12 y.o. 94 proof

Bookers True Barrel 7 yr 7 month 128.6 proof

Blantons 93 proof

Jefferson Very Small Batch 82.3 proof

There were also a few others that i didnt mention, but i did see some 4 roses, OGD, Ancient Age, then there were variations like a special Knob Creek and some other things I cant remember off the top of my head
theset74

Re: Seeking info on this list of Bourbons

Unread postby Bourbon Joe » Fri Oct 12, 2012 1:18 pm

theset74 wrote:Ok here goes:

4 Henry McKenna 10 y.o. 100 proof

7 Larceny, Very Small Batch, (Old Fizgerald?) 92 proof

5 Basil Hayden's 8 y.o. 80 proof

1 Wild Turkey Rare Breed 108.2 proof

8 Evan Williams Single Barrel Vintage 10 y.o. 86.6 proof

3 Elijah Craig 12 y.o. 94 proof

9 Bookers True Barrel 7 yr 7 month 128.6 proof

2 Blantons 93 proof

6 Jefferson Very Small Batch 82.3 proof

Just based on my experiences. YMMV.
Joe
Colonel Joseph B. "Bourbon Joe" Koch

Bourbon, It's cheaper than therapy!
Bourbon Joe
Erudite Bourbonite
Erudite Bourbonite

Unread postby theset74 » Fri Oct 12, 2012 3:09 pm

Bourbon Joe wrote:
Just based on my experiences. YMMV.
Joe

YMMV????

Oh and thanks for responding by the way, glad you are posting in my threads. I know we kinda got off to a rough start in my other one, but I appreciate your feedback and knowledge. In fact I was glancing through the Smoke Forum and it seems you also have a deep appreciation for cigars as well. I may be bugging you more than I originally anticipated after reading through those, it seems you would be a good person to seek advice from ;)
theset74

Unread postby NeoTexan » Fri Oct 12, 2012 3:24 pm

YMMV=Your mileage may vary

Seeking advice from BourbonJoe? Better be careful. :lol:
NeoTexan

Unread postby theset74 » Fri Oct 12, 2012 5:45 pm

NeoTexan wrote:YMMV=Your mileage may vary

Uh oh...why's that?

......and thanks for the explanation on the acronym, that one had me stumped.

Any input on that list? Im just curious to see how people rank whats most readily available to me. In fact the consensus that i draw from you guys' input will largely determine how i go about my next few purchases and what i try coming up. Just finished my first bottle of BT per someone suggestion and I was pleasantly surprised. In fact I usually stick to Makers and enjoyed the BT as much if not slightly more
theset74

Unread postby theset74 » Fri Oct 12, 2012 8:25 pm

Snagged a bottle of the Wild Turkey Rare Breed for this evening, thanks Bourbon Joe for the input, this is an honorary bottle just on a count of you!
theset74

Unread postby Vital » Sat Oct 13, 2012 5:53 pm

Elijah Craig 12 is the best one on your list.

Keep in mind that everyone has a different taste and preferences. For some Bookers is the best there is while for others (me) it's a waste of water, alcohol and 8 years.
Vital

Unread postby NeoTexan » Sat Oct 13, 2012 10:10 pm

theset74 wrote:
NeoTexan wrote:YMMV=Your mileage may vary

Uh oh...why's that?

......and thanks for the explanation on the acronym, that one had me stumped.

Any input on that list? Im just curious to see how people rank whats most readily available to me. In fact the consensus that i draw from you guys' input will largely determine how i go about my next few purchases and what i try coming up. Just finished my first bottle of BT per someone suggestion and I was pleasantly surprised. In fact I usually stick to Makers and enjoyed the BT as much if not slightly more

Just giving Bourbon Joe greif.....
NeoTexan

Unread postby GaryV » Sun Oct 14, 2012 5:51 pm

If I were you, I'd try to find those on your list at a bar or resturant and have a pour to see what you like before buying any of them. Personally, I'd recommend the Blanton's and EC12 and leave the rest at the store, but that's just me. You also mentioned Four Roses and Ancient Age. IMO any Four Roses and Ancient Ancient Age 10yr are keepers.

Good luck and enjoy yourself!
GaryV

Unread postby theset74 » Mon Oct 15, 2012 8:48 am

GaryV wrote:If I were you, I'd try to find those on your list at a bar or resturant and have a pour to see what you like before buying any of them. Personally, I'd recommend the Blanton's and EC12 and leave the rest at the store, but that's just me. You also mentioned Four Roses and Ancient Age. IMO any Four Roses and Ancient Ancient Age 10yr are keepers.

Good luck and enjoy yourself!

I am disgusted at what ALL of my local bars carry as far as bourbon. Not a single one has anything more than Jack Daniels and if they do, its only Makers Mark around here. In fact ive been trying to either locate the local bourbon social circle, or start one of my own so people of like mind can gather and drink and discuss bourbon. Its much easier if 5 guys buy a bottle and spend the evening sampling one or 2 than it is to just buy everything yourself and possibly waste a good bit on the ones you personally didnt enjoy.

As far as my list, you know I realize everybody has different taste, but i feel like you guys would absolutely know which ones are garbage and not worth wasting my time on at all and thats kind of what I am looking for. So next up I think will be a bottle of Elijah Craig, although i do like the look of the Blantons bottle, so i may spring for that one. I think ill just try the top 5 you guys suggest for starters and works my way around that.

Does anyone know of any reputable websites who sell current bottles of some of the rare items. I tried Binny's per a link in another thread and that place seemed pretty good to get what you want other than the super rares.
theset74

Unread postby bourbonv » Mon Oct 15, 2012 9:44 am

Joe is a great person with strong opinions. I am glad you two have worked it out from a rough start. I personally like the Elmer t. Lee better than Blantons so you might want to consider it as well.
Mike Veach
"Our people live almost exclusively on whiskey" - E H Taylor, Jr. 25 April 1873
bourbonv

Unread postby theset74 » Tue Oct 16, 2012 8:52 pm

Just picked up the bottle of Elijah Craig 12 year, will see if that holds up to the Buffalo Trace, so far BT has been my favorite since ive started sampling the different bourbons.

Thanks for the heads up on the Elmer T Lee, Binnys has some in stock so i think i will order a bottle and see what its like. The description sounded right up my alley.

Thanks for the tip!
theset74

Unread postby ethangsmith » Wed Dec 05, 2012 6:40 pm

Yep, I'd also vote for the Elijah Craig 12 or Wild Turkey Rare Breed. Two other great ones to pick up are Ridgemont Reserve 1792 and Old Grand Dad 114.
If you have anything Michter's or Pennco and would like to sell it or share it with me, please let me know.
ethangsmith

Unread postby Mike » Wed Dec 05, 2012 6:56 pm

After you play out the advice of knowledgeable bourbon sippers ( I am a big, big, fan of Bourbon Joe - as a human being and as a bourbon sipper, but my list would be different), the thing you are after (my opinion) is what rings YOUR bell.......... what does your palate favor............. or, if you might be a lucky follow, what your mood tells you to sip at that moment. There are first rate bourbons from the 'cheap' list, from the 'expensive' list, from the 'wheat' list, from the 'rye' list, and from the 'unique' list.

Truly, as it works out (my opinion), none are 'better' than the others......... but they are different....... all the better from where I sit!
Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rage at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light. - Dylan Thomas
Mike

Unread postby MauiSon » Tue Dec 18, 2012 6:32 am

I've polished off fifths of Old Crow Reserve, Evan Williams Black, Jim Beam Black, Wild Turkey 101, Elijah Craig 12 year, Old Overholt, Rittenhouse 100 and Four Roses Single Barrel. I didn't waste a nickel or a minute on any of 'em - they've all been good enough to finish and have added to my understanding of bourbon and rye. Buffalo Trace and Bulleit Rye on deck.
MauiSon

Next

Return to Bourbon, Straight