Looking for bourbon with spice

Discuss any bourbon related topics here that do not belong in a forum below.

Moderator: Squire

Looking for bourbon with spice

Unread postby Vital » Sat Oct 13, 2012 12:03 am

I absolutely love Elijah Craig 12 for it's oily SPICY citric wood taste. Spicy is a key word here.

My favorite bourbons are Elijah Craig 12 & 18, Eagle Rare 10, Knob Creek and Jim Beam Black.

I've tried a lot of "top shelve/best pours" as per users on this forum - Maker's Mark (MM46 is pretty good btw, mostly because it's different) Wild Turkey, Buffalo Trace, Weller, Evan Williams.... All of those while different can still be roughly categorized as "sweet vanilla and caramel". I'm looking for more then that - wood, cigar, leather, charcoal/smoke, citrus/orange/fruit and most important - SPICE.

What would you guys recommend I try next?
Vital

Re: Looking for bourbon with spice

Unread postby ebo » Sat Oct 13, 2012 1:07 pm

Try Four Roses SB and Woodford Reserve. The WR isn't really all that special, but it has a bit of wood to it..... at least to my taste.
ebo

Unread postby Vital » Sat Oct 13, 2012 5:57 pm

Hm, I've actually never had any of Four Roses stuff.
Vital

Unread postby GaryV » Sun Oct 14, 2012 5:55 pm

You want spice? Might try Fighting Cock, aka "the Kickin' Chicken" :D
GaryV

Unread postby Vital » Mon Oct 15, 2012 4:16 pm

Just called a few liquer stores around my area and none of them carry Fighting Cock. :(
Reviews seem to be reppy good (spicy) so I'll def try to find one sooner or later.

On the other hand a few places carry Four Roses Single Barrel as well as Small Batch. Defiantly going to try SB first but after reading reviews seems like every Four Roses is spicy so Small Batch is also on the list.
Vital

Unread postby ebo » Mon Oct 15, 2012 7:13 pm

Just my opinion, of course, but Small Batch isn't as good as the Single Barrel. Single Barrel is woody....er :mrgreen: to my taste.
ebo

Unread postby PaulO » Fri Oct 19, 2012 10:24 am

How about Old Grandad 114?
PaulO

Unread postby EllenJ » Fri Oct 19, 2012 4:40 pm

The best example I've ever tasted of "peppery, spicy" bourbon was Fighting Cock, but that was the 8-year-old, which you can't find anymore. I THINK that was a Heaven Hill bottling, but I'm not sure. The current 6-year-old isn't bad, but nothing special and not like the 8. You might try finding or ordering Four Roses in the OBSK version. More expensive, but also a much higher grade of whiskey.
=JOHN=
(the "Jaye" part of "L 'n' J dot com")
http://www.ellenjaye.com
EllenJ

Unread postby JLH3 » Mon Oct 22, 2012 11:33 pm

ebo wrote:Just my opinion, of course, but Small Batch isn't as good as the Single Barrel. Single Barrel is woody....er :mrgreen: to my taste.

And that's what is great about bourbon. I love the SB, but think you get a little more spice from the Small Batch. And I like it a tad more.
Between the wish and the thing the world lies waiting.
- Cormac McCarthy, All the Pretty Horses

"Your hair was darker then."
- Grant
"My heart was lighter then."
- Rico
The Professionals
JLH3

Unread postby Vital » Fri Oct 26, 2012 8:55 pm

Apparently there's serious shortage of Four Roses in New York. Very few stores carry it and out of those that do I've only been able to find 1 that had some Small Batch in stock. Single barrel is on a backorder in a few stores for a few months now and no local distributors have any....

So I'm sipping on Small Batch and LOOOOOVIIIIING IT!
Loaded with pepper and cinnamon, lots of fruits and some citrus. Long oily/buttery aftertaste with the heat that warms me up a lot longer then I expected it to....
This bottle was defiantly worth the effort it took to find it.

Now I REALLLLY wanna try Single Barrel seeing how much praise it gets over Small Batch.

As for:
Fighting Cock - it's damn impossible to find it. No stores have it at all. Looks like New York is pretty weak when it comes to bourbons that aren't "mainstream"
Grand Dad 114 - funny it was brought up. I had GD 101 (I cold be wrong on the number but it was defiantly lower then 114) just the other day for the first time and liked it as well. Not as much spice as Four Roses Small Batch or Elijah 12 but it did stand out with spices as well.
Vital

Unread postby ethangsmith » Wed Dec 05, 2012 6:37 pm

Old Grand Dad 114, Fighting Cock, or Old Heaven Hill 100 proof. All pretty spicy with good bourbon flavor.
If you have anything Michter's or Pennco and would like to sell it or share it with me, please let me know.
ethangsmith

Unread postby Mike » Wed Dec 05, 2012 7:06 pm

Interesting, I just had some Fighting Cock (6 YO) and did not find it all that 'spicy'. My standards for spicey bourbons are Wild Turkey and Four Roses......... each is spicey, and is different in its spicey attack. Wild Turkey bourbons are 'hotter' than Four Roses, which has a more floral element to my palate. Old Grand Bottled in Bond is an excellent spicey bourbon.

An aside to Vital in regard to this post. Find some Four Roses bourbon........... in my humble opinon, for the money, there is no finer bourbon than Four Roses...... it is its own bourbon, wonderfully unique!!
Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rage at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light. - Dylan Thomas
Mike

Unread postby Birdo » Sat Dec 08, 2012 3:47 pm

I agree that Four roses single barrel is a great spicy bourbon, quite complex, excellent. I drink Fighting Cock as my regular bourbon and its almost as good as Knob Creek and Four Roses at at far better price.
Birdo

Unread postby dickelfanaustralia » Sun Dec 09, 2012 6:12 am

Does 4 Roses use orange yeast like Old Grand DaD? If not then why is it orange color?

the tasting notes sound little like old grand dad like oily ,delicate, fruit. Is the alcohol balanced?

Ive had Beam black and hayden and can't put it on my palate at all.
dickelfanaustralia

Unread postby Squire » Sun Dec 09, 2012 9:28 pm

Old Grand Dad of any proof.
Squire

Next

Return to Bourbon, Straight