Blanton's SB from 1984

Have an old/rare bottle you'd like some more info on?

Moderator: Squire

Blanton's SB from 1984

Unread postby SWC » Thu Oct 04, 2012 2:45 pm

So, got a call from a friend who has a friend who has a grandpa who gave him a bottle of Blanton's from 1984. He knows this is a special bottle, but he doesn't know what it is worth. So, I'm posting this to see if any of you could provide insight.

Here are some snippets he claimed in an email...

" This is one of only 300 bottles made he said. They started bottling this bourbon for the first time in September of 1984 and this bottle is dated back to 10-19-84.... He said the neat thing is the bottle as they don’t make this sort of topper anymore. Most of them still have the horses, but have the lettering on them while this doesn’t. I asked him about why it looks as if there has been some that has evaporated out of it. He said because of tiny micro cracks in the corks that let air in will eventually contribute to the evaporation. "

Any Blanton historians that can validate this little bottle? Thanks.
Attachments
b4.JPG
b4.JPG (95.6 KiB) Viewed 7439 times
b3.JPG
b3.JPG (93.87 KiB) Viewed 7439 times
b2.JPG
b2.JPG (92.43 KiB) Viewed 7439 times
b1.JPG
b1.JPG (94.74 KiB) Viewed 7439 times
SWC

Re: Blanton's SB from 1984

Unread postby EllenJ » Fri Oct 05, 2012 1:08 pm

I have a few examples of the horse & rider without the letter; I don't think any date back as far as 1984, so that idea started much later. Even before the letter was added, though, the actual positioning and pose of the figure changed from time to time (every year? every bottling? dunno). One thing interesting is that your photo shows the "Pull tab to open" instruction in English. Many of the first bottlings of Blanton's were bottled for export to Japan, and I would guess that would've been in Japanese (even though the label itself wasn't). If that can be proven to be a U.S.version it might be worth even a little bit more.

Something I've always found fascinating is Blanton's claim to have such a wonderful, specially-created bottle.
The attached photo of two bottles in our own collection tells a somewhat different story.
The Kentucky Tavern bottle dates from 1982.
Attachments
SameBottle2 .jpg
SameBottle2 .jpg (43.73 KiB) Viewed 7421 times
=JOHN=
(the "Jaye" part of "L 'n' J dot com")
http://www.ellenjaye.com
EllenJ

Re: Blanton's SB from 1984

Unread postby sam913 » Fri Jun 05, 2015 11:38 am

I too would like to know more. I have a bottle dated8-31-84. The pull tab has no lettering and the bottle is in a suede(?) pouch.
Bottle shows little if any evaporation.
sam913

Return to Collector's Corner