Ask How Much Your Bottle is Worth Here

Have an old/rare bottle you'd like some more info on?

Moderator: Squire

Re: Ask How Much Your Bottle is Worth Here

Unread postby MauiSon » Tue Aug 07, 2012 2:33 am

I'll bite - how did you determine the value of the silver if the bottle's unopened? Is it a silver flask or is it a silver-lined glass flask? What information is on the flask to help in determining what you have there? Is there a seal on the stopper to prove it's unopened? It really helps when you tell us everything YOU know about it before asking what we may know about it.
MauiSon

Unread postby waikikigoldandsilver » Wed Aug 08, 2012 7:13 pm

Sorry, you are right, I'll add some specifics. It is a solid sterling silver flask and it is unopened, with the plastic seal still attached. In terms of determining the value of the silver, we subtracted the weight of the fluid ounces from its total gram weight and came to a rough estimate of $1500 in sterling silver alone. I believe it may have been a collectors item of some kind, because it is numbered. That's about the extent of my knowledge on the bottle, I've done some research, trying to find similar items on ebay, etc. and I've been unsuccessful in finding one. I look forward to your guys' assesment, I figure, Blanton's is one of the best Kentucky whiskeys out there and this is a very rare and highly valuable bottle in scrap weight alone, does anyone in the forums have an idea what this bottle may be worth to the right collector?
waikikigoldandsilver

Unread postby Bourbon Joe » Wed Aug 08, 2012 7:20 pm

I have never seen one of these before. Great find.
Joe
Colonel Joseph B. "Bourbon Joe" Koch

Bourbon, It's cheaper than therapy!
Bourbon Joe
Erudite Bourbonite
Erudite Bourbonite

Unread postby PaulO » Sat Aug 11, 2012 5:23 pm

Waikikigoldandsilver, Have you considered contacting Buffalo Trace Distillery? They may be able to help you with information. I'd be interested to hear the story on this. I wonder if this could have been made for Japan (back when they were flush with cash)?
PaulO

Unread postby waikikigoldandsilver » Wed Aug 15, 2012 6:31 pm

Thanks Paulo, I'm curious as to the history as well. Why would Buffalo Distillery be able to help me though? Just curious.
waikikigoldandsilver

Unread postby Bourbon Joe » Wed Aug 15, 2012 7:17 pm

waikikigoldandsilver wrote:Thanks Paulo, I'm curious as to the history as well. Why would Buffalo Distillery be able to help me though? Just curious.

They made it.
Joe

Bourbon Joe
Erudite Bourbonite
Erudite Bourbonite

Unread postby MauiSon » Wed Aug 15, 2012 10:32 pm

What BourbonJoe means is that Blanton's Bourbon is made at Buffalo Trace Distillery.

The next question - is there a maker's mark or hallmark? Does it say 'sterling' or 'sterling silver" or '925'? What are the specifics concerning the writing on the item? You're not even 1/2 way to telling us what you have there. For instance, how did you determine that there is no glass under that silver? I ask because storing bourbon in sterling silver is usually a short term affair due to some peculiar properties of silver. I collect silver, so I know a bit about the subject, though sterling silver tongs are my forte.
MauiSon

Unread postby waikikigoldandsilver » Thu Aug 16, 2012 1:17 am

Thanks for the help guys, I'll call Buffalo Distillery. Sorry if I haven't been answering all the questions, would it help if I take more pics and post them?
waikikigoldandsilver

Unread postby waikikigoldandsilver » Thu Aug 16, 2012 3:37 pm

Hey guys, so I wrote the distillery and I recieved this reply.

Thanks for contacting us.

The bottle you are referring to was a 1 0f 100 Limited Edition Blanton's Single Barrel Bourbon selected for the Japanese market in 1991.

The bottle was made by Kirk Stieff of the famous Stieff Company.

That’s really all the info I have. Most of the people of this company who were associated with this project have been replaced or have passed. I do know it's an extremely rare piece as one is locked up securely in my office!

Hope this shines a little light on the subject. Let me know if you need anything else.

Thanks,

John Shutt -International Sales and Marketing
Age International Inc.
229 West Main St. Frankfort, KY 40602
(p)502-223-9874 x4 (m) 502-229-1633
johns@ageintl.com blantonsbourbon.com

Anyone know a Japanese collector?
waikikigoldandsilver

Unread postby bthomp22 » Wed Aug 29, 2012 11:40 am

Republican bottle.jpg
Republican bottle.jpg (16.79 KiB) Viewed 21100 times
I have a bottle from the 1976 Republican Convention. My grandmother was a Republican Delegate from California and that was a gift she received. A big Reagan supporter but was more Republican than anything. It is pretty cool but I have always wondered what it was worth.
Attachments
Republican bottle label.jpg
Republican bottle label.jpg (26.09 KiB) Viewed 21100 times
Republican bottle 3.jpg
Republican bottle 3.jpg (23.84 KiB) Viewed 21100 times
bthomp22

Unread postby Bourbon Joe » Wed Aug 29, 2012 5:09 pm

Don't know what the container is worth but 100 month 80 proof beam is pretty much pedestrian whiskey although considerably better in 1976 than it is today. If I had to guess, I would think about 30 - 35 bucks on E-Bay. A Democrat won't but it. LOL
Joe

Bourbon Joe
Erudite Bourbonite
Erudite Bourbonite

Unread postby windup99 » Wed Aug 29, 2012 5:34 pm

There are several eBay right now that range from $4.99 to $41.99 most are empty but a couple of them are full.

Keith
windup99

Unread postby MauiSon » Thu Aug 30, 2012 3:57 am

waikikigoldandsilver wrote:The bottle was made by Kirk Stieff of the famous Stieff Company.

Anyone know a Japanese collector?

Okay, so now you should ask Kirk Stieff Co. if they have the manufacturing details for the order. Their records should reveal all the information any buyer would want. P.S. - The Japanese may not be the optimal market for this, since they have the bulk of the run.
MauiSon

Early Times

Unread postby rustydog » Tue Sep 11, 2012 11:28 am

I have a unopened bottle of Early Times Heritage Edition Straight Whisky 90.4 Proof in wood case. Anyone know if its worth anything.
rustydog

Unread postby justsellin » Sun Sep 23, 2012 5:04 pm

Howdy -

I have a one gallon bottle of Old Grand-Dad, in a Mobreal Oil, Inc. - engraved stainless steel oil rig decanter (you tilt the minature oil rig to pour the bottle). Unopened. 86 proof. It was consolation for a failed investment in Adams Six Oil, mid 1980s.

First price offerred has been $10K.

Don't tell me to just to drink it...I'm thinking about it already - ha! Just send me on my way to the site I need, if this is not it.

I thank you!
justsellin

PreviousNext

Return to Collector's Corner