1001 Whiskies You Must Taste Before You Die

Check in here for reviews of whiskey related books and other materials

Moderator: Squire

Unread postby gman58 » Sun Jun 10, 2012 9:53 pm

Universe Publishing, Dominic Roskrow, General Editor 2012

Okay, first of all this book is impressive for all the information it presents and the scope it tries to reach. In the Forward, it is stated that we are all “the tellers of tales and the listeners of stories”. The notion is put forth that each whiskey has a “golden yarn” to tell through each sniff and taste and that each reviewer has a unique way of interpreting that story and passing it on to us.

This book was put together in Europe, with contributors from around the world supplying biographies of each whiskey, their distilleries and tasting notes; over 20 writers contributed to the reviews and tasting notes for this book. As the editor states, most of the contributors are seasoned writers who have been discussing this subject for years. In addition, he has also brought in newcomers who, perhaps not having any words on printed media, are blogging or writing on websites devoted to this drink. As a side note, at least a couple of contributors’ names should be familiar to members of this site as they grace our pages with their thoughts.

Each whiskey is given a generous biography and a short set of tasting notes. There are never more than 2 whiskies described per page, so for each there is plenty of information given. As you might expect, much of the book is devoted to whiskey from Scotland; almost 60% of the book’s 900+ pages. But a good portion is also given to the United States with smaller sections on Ireland and Canada. Several small USA distilleries and their products are described that I’ve never heard of including folks who are making bourbon, moonshine, rye, single-malts, etc. All very interesting and it just makes the list of whiskies you’d like to try even longer.

Back to the scope, there are nearly 140 pages given to Japan, Europe and “The Rest of the World”. Through other reading, I was aware that Japan and India produced many whiskies (I’ve even had the opportunity to taste a Japanese single malt). It was very interesting to find out how many countries have distilleries making “whiskey”. Places as diverse as Pakistan, New Zealand, Sweden and Taiwan. Also of note, is that the term “whiskey” is becoming more flexible. What might be called “whiskey” in one country, might not be (allowed to be) called “whiskey” in another. The book also includes an alphabetical listing, a listing by country, a glossary of terms, a short bio on each contributor, picture credits and resources for further reading, so it has plenty to offer in addition to the whiskey info.

What’s the most interesting tidbit of information I’ve learned so far? That Liechtenstein, one of the smallest countries in the world, has whiskey production. That’s intriguing enough for me to want to try to get a taste. But the biggest thing I’ve learned (and I’m by no means near to having finished) is how little I know about all this. I’ve read about whiskey tastings, judgings, contests, etc. Those sound like great events to me and I realize that I’ll need to keep reading for the rest of my days.

Based on everything I’ve mentioned, I’d recommend this book. As I stated, I haven’t read the entire book, but I haven’t come across anything in it that makes me think it isn’t worthwhile. Hopefully all the facts are correct and current; for now I’ll assume they are and continue to enjoy the further education I’m getting. This book was a birthday gift to me so I don't have pricing information. I know that would also be a factor in a decision to read it.
Be Spirited Today
gman58

Re: 1001 Whiskies You Must Taste Before You Die

Unread postby MauiSon » Fri Jul 20, 2012 3:16 am

You didn't find the title a bit off-putting? Does anyone really need to try 1001 different whiskies before dying? I don't think I could even open the book if you gave it to me for free. Maybe it's just me - it could be the best compendium ever, doesn't matter, I wouldn't touch it.
MauiSon

Unread postby vince » Sat Jul 21, 2012 8:07 am

I just completed reading this book and thoroughly enjoyed it. It will now sit on my coffee table as a reference for some whiskies that I may not have tried but are interested in purchasing.
vince

Unread postby gman58 » Tue Jul 24, 2012 12:03 am

MauiSon wrote:You didn't find the title a bit off-putting? Does anyone really need to try 1001 different whiskies before dying? I don't think I could even open the book if you gave it to me for free. Maybe it's just me - it could be the best compendium ever, doesn't matter, I wouldn't touch it.

No, I didn't find the title off-putting at all; I found it intriguing. Neither the number listed nor the mention of dying bothered me. Does anyone need to try 1001 whiskies? No more nor less than anyone needs to try 1 whiskey. In my local liquor stores I'd estimate there could be 200 whiskies. Almost all from Scotland, Ireland, Canada or the USA (I've seen one from Japan). Learning about those from all over the world was certainly worth the time I spent reading. I may not ever have the opportunity (or desire) to try every whiskey listed in the book but I had a great time reading about them.

vince wrote:I just completed reading this book and thoroughly enjoyed it. It will now sit on my coffee table as a reference for some whiskies that I may not have tried but are interested in purchasing.

I'm glad you enjoyed it also. Like you, I've now got it sitting out as a reference. It's fun to pick up and flip open randomly and re-read a page or two.
Be Spirited Today
gman58

Unread postby MacinJosh » Tue Jul 24, 2012 1:39 pm

I speak with Dominic fairly often and need to grab a copy of this. He told me he was going to send me a signed copy but that was several months ago and he probably forgot. :roll:
Josh

"The last time I turned down a whiskey, I didn’t understand the question."

"Sometimes I drink my whiskey neat. Other times I take my tie off and leave my shirt out."
MacinJosh

Unread postby SWC » Fri Aug 31, 2012 11:37 am

Nice name drop!
SWC

Unread postby MacinJosh » Fri Aug 31, 2012 12:18 pm

SWC wrote:Nice name drop!

Nice first post!
Josh

"The last time I turned down a whiskey, I didn’t understand the question."

"Sometimes I drink my whiskey neat. Other times I take my tie off and leave my shirt out."
MacinJosh

Unread postby EllenJ » Wed Sep 12, 2012 4:50 pm

I sure as #e!! hope *I* have enough time left to try 1,001 whiskies before I die.
In fact, I'd like to taste 1,001 AMERICAN whiskies before I die.
And that wasn't possible just a few years ago.
It is now, though.
Or at least it will be possible by the time I expect to hit that great corner tavern in the sky.
=JOHN=
(the "Jaye" part of "L 'n' J dot com")
http://www.ellenjaye.com
EllenJ

Return to The Library