Heaven Hill Black label

Discuss any bourbon related topics here that do not belong in a forum below.

Moderator: Squire

Heaven Hill Black label

Unread postby NotAnAlky » Tue Jun 12, 2012 11:33 am

I found one liter bottles of this one in my local liquor store recently. It looks like this

I can't find it on the Heaven Hill website, though. I think it may have been replaced by Evan Williams, which comes in a similar bottle. What does anyone know about this? I can't find any information as to how long it has been aged or when it was last produced. It was very cheap so I assume it to be taken from the kegs while still very young (3-4 years) Attempting to decode the date (which I assumed to be Julian) produces gibberish in the online decoders I have tried.
NotAnAlky

Re: Heaven Hill Black label

Unread postby mosugoji64 » Wed Jun 20, 2012 11:10 am

It's just another one of HH's bottom-shelf bottles. They also have green and white label 80-proof bottles. These are suitable for mixing/cooking but not much else. For a couple of dollars more, you can get one of their excellent bonded bourbons.
-Brian-

"Weller and water ... wonderful!"
mosugoji64

Unread postby Birdo » Wed Jun 20, 2012 11:27 am

Heaven Hill has like 200 brands. Like the other poster said, it's probably best mixed with coke. I suppose a poor-folk could drink it on the rocks or neat.

I like Heaven Hill Fighting Cock, Elijah Craig 12, and Evan Williams Single barrel.
Birdo

Unread postby EllenJ » Wed Jun 20, 2012 4:09 pm

mosugoji64 wrote:It's just another one of HH's bottom-shelf bottles. They also have green and white label 80-proof bottles. These are suitable for mixing/cooking but not much else. For a couple of dollars more, you can get one of their excellent bonded bourbons.

The only problem here is that, while less-than-perfect bourbon is great for things like 7-Up or ginger ale highballs, you really don't want to use it for cooking. After all, the only contribution bourbon makes to cooking is its flavor (the alcohol evaporates, y'know), so why would you want to use a bourbon whose flavor you don't like? Use your BEST-tasting bourbon for cooking!
=JOHN=
(the "Jaye" part of "L 'n' J dot com")
http://www.ellenjaye.com
EllenJ

Unread postby PaulO » Thu Jun 21, 2012 9:57 am

I use my best tasting bourbon for cooking, but none of it ends up in the food.
PaulO

Unread postby mosugoji64 » Thu Jun 21, 2012 11:18 am

PaulO wrote:I use my best tasting bourbon for cooking, but none of it ends up in the food.

lol! That's the best way to cook with bourbon!
-Brian-

mosugoji64

Unread postby EllenJ » Fri Jun 22, 2012 7:11 pm

My bad.

I SHOULD have said, "use HALF a measure of your best-tasting bourbon, after drinking the other half". After all, that IS how I do it.

But my point is still... if you don't like the way the bourbon tastes, what makes you think you'll like the way your food's gonna taste?

My personal opinion is that the best way to deal with bourbon you don't like is to gift it to folks you know who think Scotch is better than bourbon. You're never going to convert them anyway, and what you've given them will only reinforce their feelings of superiority, thus making them enjoy being around you even more. Works for me! :D
=JOHN=
EllenJ

Unread postby mosugoji64 » Sat Jun 23, 2012 11:03 am

With regard to cooking, if the recipe retains a great amount of the whiskey flavor, or the whiskey is a major component of the flavor then using a good whiskey is important. I've found this to be true with dessert recipes most often. If most of the other flavors in the dish overpower the flavor of whiskey or only a small amount is used, then I use the stuff I don't drink. I've also found that a flambe tends to greatly affect the flavor and an otherwise unappealing whiskey may leave behind a good amount of oakey, general whiskey flavor. In those instances, why use a great whiskey if you're not going to taste it? That's my take on cooking with whiskey.
-Brian-

mosugoji64

Unread postby EllenJ » Sat Jun 23, 2012 4:19 pm

Actually, I agree with you about using it as a flambé. That's a very good use that I hadn't thought of. But since what you're looking for there is a spectacular presentation and not so much the remaining flavor, why use bourbon at all? Vodka, or even cheap brandy, is cheaper, and if you can get Everclear (and have sufficiantly high ceilings) you can REALLY impress whoever you're serving that steak Diane or Bananas Foster to. :lol:
=JOHN=
EllenJ

Return to Bourbon, Straight