Need help with value of an Old Fitz

Have an old/rare bottle you'd like some more info on?

Moderator: Squire

Need help with value of an Old Fitz

Unread postby LHcraig » Tue Jun 19, 2012 1:20 pm

I just recently joined this site. I have been a guest for years. My wife and I are trying to finish up our will. We live in an ABC state (NC) so we do not have any Liquor outlets with knowledgeable people in them. I have been a Bourbon drinker for over fifty years so therefore I have been given many bottles as gifts. I have one in particular that I have never opened and after viewing all the posts on bourbonenthusiast I have realized that it may be worth more than I had originally thought. I have enclosed pictures of the set. If someone could give us a ballpark value, I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks for looking at this.
Attachments
IMGA0650.JPG
IMGA0650.JPG (76.51 KiB) Viewed 4113 times
IMGA0645.JPG
IMGA0645.JPG (80.53 KiB) Viewed 4113 times
LHcraig

Re: Need help with value of an Old Fitz

Unread postby EllenJ » Tue Jun 19, 2012 7:00 pm

LHcraig wrote:I just recently joined this site. I have been a guest for years. My wife and I are trying to finish up our will. We live in an ABC state (NC) so we do not have any Liquor outlets with knowledgeable people in them. I have been a Bourbon drinker for over fifty years so therefore I have been given many bottles as gifts. I have one in particular that I have never opened and after viewing all the posts on bourbonenthusiast I have realized that it may be worth more than I had originally thought. I have enclosed pictures of the set. If someone could give us a ballpark value, I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks for looking at this.

Old Fitz 1849 is really good bourbon. Not "investment quality" (if there even is such a thing with bourbon), but really good. Since you enjoy bourbon, you might as well just open and enjoy it; you probably already have bourbon that you you like better, but it's really pretty good stuff, especially since the tax stamp puts it back into the "real Stitzel-Weller" era (although post-Pappy). You could also leave it as a bottle to be enjoyed at your wake. Even your non-bourbon loving friends would be impressed by such a move.

As far as an "estate item" to be mentioned in a will, I'm not even sure you can legally do that in a control state, since technically you need to have a state license to even transfer ownership of demon alcohol.
=JOHN=
(the "Jaye" part of "L 'n' J dot com")
http://www.ellenjaye.com
EllenJ

Re: Need help with value of an Old Fitz

Unread postby PaulO » Wed Jun 20, 2012 7:56 am

I can't really throw any dollar amounts out there, but it's worth more than the current version of Old Fitz! You can still find this brand in stores, but now it's made by Heaven Hill.
PaulO

Return to Collector's Corner