Very Old Barton

Discuss any bourbon related topics here that do not belong in a forum below.

Moderator: Squire

Very Old Barton

Unread postby William » Thu May 31, 2012 6:24 pm

Because I read good things about this bourbon I went to my favorite store to buy it. It wasnt on the self but they had a case or two in the back and so the guy went there and got it for me. It had an amazing hue, very orange with red along the sides. We all got excited about it since it was tucked away in the back and I told them I would report back to them my findings. This happened before with Johnny Drum, which they had on the top shelf and it was terrible so I told them they should put it on the bottom next to Old Crow or Samuels.

Well I dont know really what to say about this bourbon. I smelled it and it was very sweet with a lot of alcohol (I got the 86 proof since it was all they had), then I drank it the next day and it was really smokey. Now its been changing with each pour. I read the reviews section and one person said it was definitely not a "refined" drink. It had no discernible taste on the third pour and had a medium alcohol after taste and burn, then on the fifth pouring I tasted leather and a small sweet note. It still smells sweet for some reason though. Now Im just mixing it with coke after tasting the wood and small leather taste.

Has anyone else had this kind of experience before? Right now Im at 33% left. If it had stayed smoky I would have recommended it and made it my regular bourbon, but now I dont think Ill buy another bottle except just to see if I got a bad one this time. At least this is giving me a changing experience no other bottle has. Should I try the higher proofs instead for now on?
William

Re: Very Old Barton

Unread postby PaulO » Mon Jun 04, 2012 11:20 am

I prefer the 100 proof BIB (but I have to buy it in KY). I believe they also have an 80, 86, and 90 proof versions. The higher proof stuff has more flavor, even if you dilute it or mix with it.
PaulO

Unread postby William » Mon Jun 04, 2012 10:23 pm

Cool, Ill look for it. I poured it again today and the nuts popped out and had some caramel in it. this is the weirdest bourbon I have ever had.
William

Unread postby Birdo » Tue Jun 05, 2012 2:52 pm

I like the 100 proof version and can't speak for the others. I think its great for the price which is very cheap. Obvious Ridgemont 1792 also from Barton is much better, but at twice the price.

Sometimes, all you need is something cheap and VOB fills the bill as good as anything in the price range.
Birdo

Unread postby William » Wed Jun 06, 2012 6:01 am

Hopefully i can get the 100 proof. The smokiness I loved, if I could get that with every pour itd be the main choice for me. I love 1792, gonna have to get a bottle of that soon.
William

Unread postby WhiskeyBro » Fri Jun 08, 2012 12:27 am

Oddly enough, I'm drinking some right at this very moment - the 100 proof BIB, mind you. For the price, it's very nice stuff. It's heavy on the nose with a big up front punch with a fairly decent, almost smoky finish. At $13, I don't think there's a better value in bourbon, and it really shines at that price point.
WhiskeyBro

Return to Bourbon, Straight