Ardbeg Day Limited Release

Love bourbon but still enjoy an occasional foreign whisky pour as well? Discuss some of your favorites here.

Moderator: Squire

Ardbeg Day Limited Release

Unread postby Roscoe » Wed May 30, 2012 2:37 pm

Only 750 bottles available. I just received my allocation of 2 six packs today. Supposed to be a marriage of two vintages of scotch from bourbon barrels (age not specified) and then finished in Oloroso casks that were used to age the Uigeadail. Peat is strong but mellowed a bit by the sherry casks.

Got a 50ml from the distributor and will give it a try over the weekend.

Roscoe
"Crisis occurs when women and cattle get excited".....James Thurber
Roscoe

Re: Ardbeg Day Limited Release

Unread postby TomH » Sat Jun 02, 2012 5:50 pm

Just finished my third tasting of Day this week and I really like it. It is one of the most balanced sherry finished peated whiskies I've had. I participated in a virtual tasting with 2 other guys and Mark Gallespie (WhiskyCast) last Monday. You can hear our discussion on it at http://whiskycast.com/files/WCVT/WCVT_0512.mp3 .... the Ardbeg Day portion starts around 27:15

One note about the release....one batch came from 1st fill bourbon barrels and the other came from refill bourbon barrels. I believe both batches for finished in the sherry barrels separately before being vatted together for the final bottling (I'm not 100% sure of this, but believe it to be the case based on some things said and tasted at Chicago WhiskyFest this spring.

Tom
TomH

Re: Ardbeg Day Limited Release

Unread postby MacinJosh » Tue Jul 24, 2012 1:51 pm

It's a really fantastic pour and one of my favorite peaty/smokey/sherried whiskies I've had in recent memory. Well worth grabbing a few bottles if you can still find them.
Josh

"The last time I turned down a whiskey, I didn’t understand the question."

"Sometimes I drink my whiskey neat. Other times I take my tie off and leave my shirt out."
MacinJosh

Return to Scotch Whisky