Which Four Roses would you recommend?

Discuss any bourbon related topics here that do not belong in a forum below.

Moderator: Squire

Which Four Roses would you recommend?

Unread postby Vital » Wed May 23, 2012 8:14 am

Haven't tried any of Four Roses products yet.
Which one to get first?

To help narrow the search down some:
1. I love sweets - honey/caramel, fruits/floral taste and young/fresh wood/oak.
2. Defiantly not a fan of spicy stuff.
3. Prefer to stay in 43-45-47% alcohol (86-90-94 proof) range.
Vital

Re: Which Four Roses would you recommend?

Unread postby RandyG » Wed May 23, 2012 1:15 pm

Looks like you should try their small batch first. The single barrel is slightly higher proof, bolder and spicier. The yellow label is a great lower shelf bourbon as well. To me, it doesn't quite stand up to it's bigger brothers though.

Cheers,
Mr. g
RandyG

Unread postby Bourbon Joe » Wed May 23, 2012 2:39 pm

I would recommend the one they recently had in their gift shop. It was a barrel proof OBSV at 17 y/o. It was fantastic.
Joe
Colonel Joseph B. "Bourbon Joe" Koch

Bourbon, It's cheaper than therapy!
Bourbon Joe
Erudite Bourbonite
Erudite Bourbonite

Unread postby gman58 » Wed May 23, 2012 10:03 pm

I'd also recommend trying the small batch first. It has great, long-lasting flavors that let you enjoy it sip by sip. I agree with the comments about the single barrel and yellow label. With the small batch you'll get some great flavors at a little lower price than the single barrel.
George
Be Spirited Today
gman58

Unread postby Birdo » Thu May 24, 2012 7:11 am

Go with the single barrel for around $27-33 bucks. Its one of my favorites. I didn't like FR Small Batch very well, may be I got a bad batch, but I can't recommend it.
Birdo

Unread postby TheEther » Thu Jun 21, 2012 10:40 am

Honestly, I don't much gravitate toward the Yellow Label, too much in that price point that is better. I've had "meh" experiences with small batch. Now, Single Barrel, is another story. I always have a couple bottles of single barrel open at the house. There IS variation from barrel to barrel, I've had SB's that I loved and Single Barrel's that I was "meh" about just like Small Batch. IMHO, the only Four Roses that I come back to that's available year round is the Single Barrel.

I also bought a couple of the released Single Barrel Barrel Strength releases OESF and OESK (I think, don't have them in front of me). The Barrel Strength is a completely different experience.
TheEther

Unread postby vince » Fri Jun 22, 2012 8:54 am

I think they are all superb bourbons but based on your palate profile I would go with the Single Barrel. Even though the Single barrel is a higher rye content bourbon than the small batch I do not feel it is as spicy. The nose on the small batch is more fruity and floral, at mid-palate I think you get a very nice spice balance. I believe the yeast formula in the Small Batch is more spicier than the Single Barrel. Tne Single Barrel will give you more vanilla and fruit throughout the taste experience.

But honestly, I dont think you can go wrong with any of them. Jim Rutledge really makes great whiskey!
vince

Unread postby ebo » Fri Jun 22, 2012 6:11 pm

If you prefer something really soft and easy to drink, go with the yellow label. I don't like it at all, but I seem to be in the minority. I'd gp with the SB.... can't go wrong there.
ebo

Unread postby T Comp » Fri Jun 22, 2012 11:58 pm

Vital wrote: Defiantly not a fan of spicy stuff.

You can always add water to bring down proof but if you're not a fan of spicy stuff then you could be disappointed with FR. I have read some people even write about it having spiced rum characteristics though I can't say beacuse...I've never had spiced rum. I love FRs, except the yellow label, and the recipes have slight variations but consistent high fruit (candied orange -marmalade), baking/pepper spices, sweets and flower perfumes. Wood/oak is never upfront but in the background as another spice. Generalizations for sure but one thing I never get in 4Rs is caramel... yes on vanilla or molasses or brown sugar but no caramel. So on that you might be left short too. Still you should try as many whiskeys, whiskies and even other spirits (I should really try spiced rum :blackeye: ) and the off the shelf FR SB is the way to start imo.
T Comp

Return to Bourbon, Straight