Knob Creek Rye?

Discuss any bourbon related topics here that do not belong in a forum below.

Moderator: Squire

Knob Creek Rye?

Unread postby libertybar » Sat May 19, 2012 10:33 pm

Hey there.

[Sorry if this is a double-post, but I can't seem to find the other one that I posted days ago.]

I heard that the new Knob Creek rye is actually Old Overholt, but at 100proof. Can anyone confirm/deny this?

Thanks in advance,
Liberty Bar - Seattle, Washington
President - Washington State Bartender's Guild
Founding Member - Washington Distiller's Guild
libertybar

Re: Knob Creek Rye?

Unread postby William » Sun May 20, 2012 6:39 am

Well the rumor is that Basil Haydens is old grand dad wit hwater in it, so maybe so. If so, thats such crap.
William

Unread postby libertybar » Sun May 20, 2012 7:43 pm

Well, I had asked the question badly...what I was trying to figure out is if they were discontinuing the Old Overhold (OO). What it is (as Chuck Cowdrey stated), is that all Beam rye is one mashbill - the different Beam ryes are just of different ages - perhaps barrels? Something seems to be a difference between them (Jim Beam, (ri)1 & Old Overholt) past just the issue of age, but the clear difference is age.

To the main point - will the OO go away? Not sure. A rep suggested that was what was happening, but no one would be surprised if a rep was the last one to know what's actually going on.

SO! We shall see.
Liberty Bar - Seattle, Washington
President - Washington State Bartender's Guild
Founding Member - Washington Distiller's Guild
libertybar

Unread postby gauze » Sun May 20, 2012 11:01 pm

I find it hard to believe JB Rye and OO are the same mashbill based on how they taste, and assuming they are neither aged more than 4 years.
I'd probably buy a knob creek rye, a less watered down OO sounds good to me.
gauze

Unread postby EllenJ » Mon May 21, 2012 7:34 pm

I believe Jim Beam Rye and Old Overholt are about as similar to one another as Blanton's and Eagle Rare (also the same mashbill). Or Ancient Age 10-Star for that matter. What comes out of the still and goes into the barrel is only one factor (well, okay, one set of factors) in what the final product will be like. Which of all the differently-matured barrels are selected, and their proportions in the final mix, is what provides most of the variety the distiller (or bottler) can offer.

Beam inherited a particular flavor profile for Old Overholt when they bought the National Distillers brands and they've done a pretty decent job of maintaining that profile separately from their already-existing self-named rye whiskey style. The version of Overholt that ND was bottling in the late '80s when they sold it was quite different from the one that made the brand so famous both before and after Prohibition, and that older version was the only 100-proof (BIB) Old Overholt marketed, AFAIK. I DO believe Knob Creek Rye more closely resembles a 100-proof version of the current 80-proof Overholt than it does the current 80-proof Jim Beam Rye. Best way to tell is to have some of all three and reduce the KC's proof down to 80. Better yet, get someone else to do it for you so you can blind test them. That's what a good bourbon bar is for.

Also, FWIW, I think Knob Creek Rye is one of the best I've tasted. And for the same price it beats the pants off of Sazerac 6-year-old 90-proof.
=JOHN=
(the "Jaye" part of "L 'n' J dot com")
http://www.ellenjaye.com
EllenJ

Unread postby p_elliott » Tue May 22, 2012 10:15 am

I don't think OO is going anywhere if anything was to be discontinued it would be Ri(1) and I don't know for sure that that is.
If you don't stand behind our troops then feel free to stand in front of them.
p_elliott

Unread postby KYPayne346 » Tue May 29, 2012 12:35 am

I guess the next step is to jack up the price, sell it at barrel proof, and call it Booker's Rye. :D
KYPayne346

Return to Bourbon, Straight