Four Roses 2011 Single Barrel Limited-Update

Discuss any bourbon related topics here that do not belong in a forum below.

Moderator: Squire

Four Roses 2011 Single Barrel Limited-Update

Unread postby Roscoe » Thu May 17, 2012 11:46 am

I'm getting a 6 pack of the 2011 Single Barrel Limited Release tomorrow. Will probably grab one for myself.

This is what I've picked up so far:

Every year Four Roses Master Distiller, Jim Rutledge releases a Limited Edition Single Barrel Bourbon, a barrel-strength version of their fantastic Single Barrel Bourbon. For a few bucks more, it’s well worth the splurge. This 12-year old whiskey has a surprising amount of fruit, including spiced pear and fresh apples that balance out the heady oak notes.

Bourbon whiskey is often cut with spring water after it comes out of the barrels to reduce the proof and achieve the desired flavor. Sometimes the flavor of the barrel-strength hooch is exactly what the distiller is aiming for. This is the case with the Limited Edition 2011 Barrel Strength Bourbon, which varies in proof from 107–119 because each barrel is unique. This is a true luxury spirit that is an experience in itself to enjoy.

And this:

This years 2011 Limited Edition Single Barrel from Four Roses is another great reminder of why Four Roses is one the more exciting distilleries in the country. No other distillery works with more recipes (10 to date). This years release is their high-rye (60% corn/35% rye) “B” bourbon mashbill with their floral “Q” yeast. And while not overbearing, the floral fragrance is very apparent. Master Distiller, Jim Rutledge, noted that he smelled a big bouquet of red roses when he first nosed this bourbon right from the barrel.

Four Roses Limited Edition Single Barrel 2011 Bourbon, 55.4% abv (110.8 Proof), $70/bottle

Color: Deep Copper

Nose: Maple syrup, baked orchard fruit, mashed berries, and brown sugar play sweet foil to big vanilla, toasted barrel, and floral fragrance. The spice lies below the surface.

Palate: Viscous stuff with an array of sweet maple syrup, jellied orange and berries, ground hot spices (white pepper, mint, and cinnamon), leather, and ever present bitter floral flavors. The sweetness hits first but doesn’t last long before the spice takes over.

Finish: Dries rapidly with a wicked mix of red sour fruits, stale pancake syrup, spicy oak essence, and bitters.

Overall: This one is fun and totally unique indeed. The OBSQ recipe with it’s mix of spicy high rye mashbill and the floral “Q” yeast strain yields a finished bourbon that isn’t overly sweet, adds a pop of floral fragrance and flavor, and also has enough of that signature Four Roses fruit and spice. This isn’t as good as other limited edition single barrels and limited edition small batches from Four Roses, but it’s still excellent stuff. It also underscores what different combination of mashbill and yeast strain can do to the final product.

Sour Mash Manifesto Rating: 8.7 (Very Good/Excellent)
Last edited by Roscoe on Fri May 18, 2012 11:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Crisis occurs when women and cattle get excited".....James Thurber
Roscoe

Re: Four Roses 2011 Single Barrel Limited

Unread postby vince » Thu May 17, 2012 3:31 pm

I think you are referring to the 2012 Limited Release Single Barrel. I purchased a couple of bottles (110.4 proof I believe) and I find it to be a superb Bourbon!
vince

Re: Four Roses 2011 Single Barrel Limited

Unread postby Roscoe » Thu May 17, 2012 4:07 pm

Actually, the salesman told me this morning it's the 2011 limited release and that is how we created the item in our system. His company only received about 6 six packs of it for the entire state of NJ. I understand that it is only a one barrel bottling which is about 38 six packs. I'll have more info on it tomorrow when it arrives.

Roscoe
Roscoe

Re: Four Roses 2011 Single Barrel Limited-Update

Unread postby Roscoe » Fri May 18, 2012 11:11 am

Correction.....I'm looking at a bottle of the Four Roses Limited Edition Small Batch 2011 release. It just came in the store. It is bottled at barrel strength; 55.1%. On the back of the bottle is the recipe of the different bourbons that are married into the bottle. Also the bottles are hand numbered. Review I picked up is as follows:

Four Roses is one of the great names in American bourbon and their 2011 Limited Edition Small Batch bourbon may be their greatest effort yet. Master Distiller Jim Rutledge has artfully mixed four different bourbons, two 13 year old bourbons coded OBSK and OESQ along with a 12 year old coded OESV and an 11 year old coded OESK. The codes offer insight into the flavor and aroma profiles of the whiskies selected for this great bourbon. Only 3,500 bottles of this non-chill filtered, barrel strength masterpiece are being released, so keep an eye out for this delicious bourbon.
Nose

Four Roses is unique among bourbon distillers, using two different mashbills (the percentage and types of grain, the OB mashbill contains 60% corn, 35% rye and 5% malted barley while the OE mashbill contains 75% corn, 20% rye and 5% malted barley) and five different yeast strains allowing them to make 10 different types of bourbon and then blend them for maximum flavor and complexity.

The five yeasts used by Four Roses and the attributes that they add are;

V – a delicate fruity flavor
K – offers a mildly spicy character
O – up front fruitiness
Q – floral notes
F – herbal qualities

This particular offering takes advantage of the K, Q and V yeast strains, which results in aromas of toasted oak, almonds, cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice and toffee emerging from the glass. Rich, heady and enticing, this is the first evidence that this is a world class bourbon.
Body and Palate

This bourbon has a rich, warm mouthfeel that coats the palate with an elegant banquet of flavor. Apricot marmalade, cinnamon, brown sugar and plum pudding appear first, before receding and leaving notes of dark chocolate, almond, cherry and toasted oak. This is a complex bourbon, constantly revealing flavors and teasing the palate with fleeting hints of spice notes and wood sugars.
Finish

Four Roses 2011 Limited Edition Small Batch bourbon has a long, rich, warm finish. Notes of dried cherries, fresh roasted almond, bitter orange and cacao nibs make for an entirely satisfying end to this whiskey. This is a world class whiskey, and absolutely not to be missed. Buy 2 bottles if you can, as once this is gone, that's it for this masterpiece. You'll be quite glad you did.
Roscoe

Return to Bourbon, Straight