Jim Beam Black...LOVIN' IT!

Discuss any bourbon related topics here that do not belong in a forum below.

Moderator: Squire

Jim Beam Black...LOVIN' IT!

Unread postby netspec » Mon May 14, 2012 6:14 pm

Just picked up a bottle of Jim Beam Black and I like as much as Buffalo Trace. A couple cubes of ice and all is right!
netspec

Re: Jim Beam Black...LOVIN' IT!

Unread postby Mike » Mon May 14, 2012 7:07 pm

netspec wrote:Just picked up a bottle of Jim Beam Black and I like as much as Buffalo Trace. A couple cubes of ice and all is right!

Agreed! A very good bourbon!
Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rage at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light. - Dylan Thomas
Mike

Unread postby Vital » Mon May 14, 2012 11:48 pm

A lot better then BT imho.
BT actually seems like a cheap knock off JBB to me - very similar but a lot fuller/richer in taste while having a lesser price tag.
Vital

Unread postby Birdo » Tue May 15, 2012 12:23 pm

Cheers!! I have found Beam Black to be excellent, every bit as good Buffalo and Makers; albeit those come in fancier looking bottles. I think Beam Black is easy to overlook because its such a big brand, but its big for a reason: great bourbon.

Hope you stick around and post often.
Birdo

Unread postby netspec » Tue May 15, 2012 5:47 pm

Beam Black is one I'd keep on hand!
netspec

Unread postby jr1968 » Wed May 16, 2012 9:19 pm

Hi Everyone,

New here, tried different bourbons and I have found that I really like Jim Beam Black.

jr1968
jr1968

Unread postby Watson Roadster » Fri May 18, 2012 11:36 pm

Vital wrote:A lot better then BT imho.
BT actually seems like a cheap knock off JBB to me - very similar but a lot fuller/richer in taste while having a lesser price tag.

I cannot disagree with this...I tried Buffalo Trace for the first time about a month ago thinking it was some super wonderful bourbon from all the reviews I've read...

After trying it I really couldn't understand what all the praise was for?I mean,it's not terrible whiskey but it's NOT a knock you socks off bourbon.And I don't think it's any better than Beam Black,especially considering the price...

Frankly,Jim Beam Black is a superior bourbon,plain and simple...
Watson Roadster

Unread postby MauiSon » Wed May 23, 2012 8:38 pm

A bit off-topic:

I've been working on 2 bottles, JBB and EWB, and the JBB is down to about 4 pours left. The last 2 pours have tasted off - it's gotten raspy, alcoholic, just bad. I've read how a bottle can take time to open up, but can a bottle also get bad in a matter of a couple months? Nose is the same, but taste is not. I have a pour about 3 or 4 times a week.
MauiSon

Unread postby Bourbon Joe » Wed May 23, 2012 8:56 pm

When there are only a few pours left in a bottle, the whiskey can turn sour, and fairly quickly. This is probably due to the large volume of air in contact with just a small amount of whiskey. Time to buy a new bottle. If it were me, it would not be JBB.
Joe
Colonel Joseph B. "Bourbon Joe" Koch

Bourbon, It's cheaper than therapy!
Bourbon Joe
Erudite Bourbonite
Erudite Bourbonite

Unread postby MauiSon » Thu May 24, 2012 4:36 am

I think I'll be getting some smaller bottles (and a pipette) to prevent that. I've got a dozen bottles already waiting, with Old Crow Reserve and Kirkland Small Batch coming next (yeah, bottom up is my modus operandi).
MauiSon

Unread postby MauiSon » Fri Jun 08, 2012 7:16 pm

Just polished off my fifths of JBB and EWB, my first venture into bourbon. Final analysis - I prefer the EWB, even without regard to the price difference. The JBB has a somewhat heavier mouth feel, but just lacks any strong positive notes, whereas the EWB is lighter yet sweeter with a definite caramel or toffee taste. I have consumed both bottles neat only.
JBB...not lovin' it! :clown:
MauiSon

Unread postby JPBoston » Sun Jun 10, 2012 2:56 pm

Ahh, I thought there was a thread dedicated to JBB... couldn't find this thread so I posted in the 'what are you drinking this evening' one.

Recently purchased my first bottle of JBB... first pour or two was very sweet, with an slight oak bite. Very nice, but overly simplistic to be sure.

Then a few days later, almost all the sweetness was gone... only the oak flavor remains. Is this a normal occurrence with JBB? I know I'm not crazy, cause I had my wife taste the first pour of JBB and she even said it was the sweetest bourbon I've had her try... then I had her taste it again later, and she said the same as me, almost no sweetness now. Don't get me wrong, I don't need my bourbon to be sugary... But when a bourbon already lacks complexity, and sweetness is its one draw other then 'oak'... well, you see what I mean, I'm sure.

Not very impressed with this, based on its price. To me, this is not 'twice' as good as EWB as its price would lead me to assume. Or Old Grand Dad 86 for that matter. Not nearly as good as BT or OWA, which are only a few dollars more. I haven't tried the Weller Reserve 90 proof yet, but I bet that blows away the JBB as well, and costs the same.

Sorry to be negative... I was really hoping to like this. I had just finished my Knob Creek bottle (which I really enjoyed) and was in the mood to give another Beam product a try, especially after seeing a bunch of positive comments... JBB didn't live up to the hype, unfortunately.
JPBoston

Unread postby WhiskeyBro » Sun Jun 10, 2012 10:56 pm

Who needs Jim Beam Black when you can have Jim Beam 1795 for the low, low price of $175.
WhiskeyBro

Unread postby Eggman » Mon Aug 06, 2012 11:05 pm

Howdy,

I prefer JBB to white lable, but I'm sure most of you would, also. Given my meager budget, JBB is often my "go to" for nightcaps. It's very good with a little Diet Coke and a couple of ice cubes. White label's too rough for me.
Eggman

Return to Bourbon, Straight