Two <$50 bourbons and a vatting of about the same value

Discuss any bourbon related topics here that do not belong in a forum below.

Moderator: Squire

Two <$50 bourbons and a vatting of about the same value

Unread postby Mike » Wed May 02, 2012 6:02 pm

Whether a bourbon is worth about $50 (or more, sometimes a lot more) or not, is a personal 'value' choice. Speaking for myself, I am glad they are on the shelves. As a general rule (for me), I think they are noticably better than most $30 bourbons, the exception being (my judgement) Four Roses Single Barrel, which sells in the high $30s around where I live.

I really like different 'styles' of bourbon on different occasions. At times I want something thick, rich, and creamy with barrel flavors. Other times I want something soft and lightly sweet, and at yet other times, I want something robust and spicy. The three bourbons I am about to describe come fairly close to filling that bill.

The first bourbon is a vatting of 40% William LaRue Weller (2005 release at about 121 proof), 40% Wild Turkey Russell's Reserve (90 proof), and 20% Bernheim Wheat Whiskey (90 proof). The final proof for this whiskey is just over 102 proof. This vatting has rich, creamy barrel flavors from the WLW, a good dollop of spice from the WT, and the softness of the Bernheim. It is an excellent whiskey.

The second bourbon is Rock Hill Farms bourbon. This is a premium Buffalo Trace bourbon that sells for just under $50. It is slightly less rich than the vatting and is a bit sweeter, with a mite less spice. It too, is an excellent bourbon and is a noticeably better (my opinion) and more rounded than the regular Buffalo Trace bourbon. Compare the two, regular BT bourbon and RHF and you will note the similiarities........ and the differences. RHF is the best of the barrels of the BT line... there are fewer of them and they rightfully get a higher return.

The third bourbon is Wild Turkey Kentucky Spirit. This is a premium Wild Turkey bourbon that sells for about $50. It has excellent barrel flavors and uses the signature Wild Turkey high rye recipe spice with its 'bite'. It too, is an excellent bourbon, that in my judgement, is a bit richer and less sharp that Rare Breed.

Each of these bourbons has some characteristics that make them stand out. I could, and will, drink and enjoy each of them at one time or another......... without feeling compelling to say which is best........ neither is better, they are different and equally good.
Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rage at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light. - Dylan Thomas
Mike

Re: Two <$50 bourbons and a vatting of about the same value

Unread postby nefarious_saint » Thu May 03, 2012 3:13 pm

That wild Turkey is definitely a fantastic Bourbon.
For about $50 my personal favorite is Jeffersons Reserve.

Try it and let me know what you think. It's about the same price as the ones you listed and goes down exceptionally smooth.
nefarious_saint

Re: Two <$50 bourbons and a vatting of about the same value

Unread postby shoshani » Fri May 11, 2012 9:36 am

Mike wrote:The second bourbon is Rock Hill Farms bourbon. This is a premium Buffalo Trace bourbon that sells for just under $50. It is slightly less rich than the vatting and is a bit sweeter, with a mite less spice. It too, is an excellent bourbon and is a noticeably better (my opinion) and more rounded than the regular Buffalo Trace bourbon. Compare the two, regular BT bourbon and RHF and you will note the similiarities........ and the differences. RHF is the best of the barrels of the BT line... there are fewer of them and they rightfully get a higher return.

Keep in mind that RHF is from the higher rye mashbill, while BT is from the lower rye mashbill. That in itself makes a world of difference. The higher rye mashbill is the one used for Age International brands like Ancient Age, Rock Hill Farms, Blanton's, Elmer T. Lee, and possibly Hancock's Reserve. Everything else BT makes, except for the Weller line, is made with their own, lower rye mashbill.
shoshani

Return to Bourbon, Straight