Anyone a fan of J&B? Also.. J&B JET and Ultima

Love bourbon but still enjoy an occasional foreign whisky pour as well? Discuss some of your favorites here.

Moderator: Squire

Anyone a fan of J&B? Also.. J&B JET and Ultima

Unread postby JAORobot » Thu Jan 05, 2006 6:57 pm

I have never tried any J&B..

but in a liquor store recently, they had 50ml bottles of J&B JET, which I had never seen anywhere in Chicagoland before.. so I picked up a 50ml bottle for 2.99 to try eventually..

they also had 1, VERY dusty box for J&B Ultima.. at $149.99.. i guess this stuff was cancelled it 2001, so it has been sitting there for a good 4 years... apparently it was a special limited ediiton of J&B, anyone ever try it?
JAORobot

Unread postby JAORobot » Sat Jan 07, 2006 6:23 am

anyone?

bueller?
JAORobot

Unread postby Mike » Sat Jan 07, 2006 9:02 am

I have never tried J&B. Among the blends, I have tried and like: Johnny Walker (I prefer the Black), Famous Grouse, and Chevis Regal. Still prefer the single malts to the blends, they seem richer to me, with more character.
Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rage at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light. - Dylan Thomas
Mike

Re: Anyone a fan of J&B? Also.. J&B JET and Ultima

Unread postby ChewyLeatherTobacco » Tue Sep 27, 2011 11:30 pm

I see JB in all the 70 and 80s movies i like. Eg Caddyshark. I have never tried.
ChewyLeatherTobacco

Unread postby Roscoe » Wed Sep 28, 2011 10:52 am

In the first 'Thin Man' movie with William Powell and Myrna Loy the is a bedroom scene with a bottle of Pinch. Pinch is still around and not a bad scotch for a blend. 15yrs old

Roscoe
"Crisis occurs when women and cattle get excited".....James Thurber
Roscoe

Unread postby Herbertdcjr » Mon Oct 24, 2011 12:43 pm

If you are interested in a few bottles I have four. They are J&B jet. One is in a gift box with a gift.
Herbertdcjr

Unread postby PaulO » Sun Nov 06, 2011 7:19 pm

I had a bottle from the late 70s gifted to me. It was pretty decent for a blend.
PaulO

Unread postby nortski » Thu Nov 24, 2011 5:53 pm

I must admit that I have not heard of this blend :cry:
nortski

Unread postby rayor » Wed Apr 04, 2012 6:26 am

nortski wrote:I must admit that I have not heard of this blend :cry:

+1

how is it? is here anybody who can make a review of it?
rayor

Unread postby JPBoston » Sun Apr 22, 2012 11:38 pm

J&B is also featured prominently in The Thing ('82)!

I recently tried 50ml samplers of Chivas Regal, Dewars white label, and J&B, to see if there was a 'cheap-o' scotch I liked. I preferred J&B to the others, though Dewars is VERY similar, maybe slightly less sweet. I found the Chivas Regal to be pretty nasty.

I just bought a 1.75L of J&B for $23.99, and it enjoy it quite a bit.... so soft, sweet and mellow. A nice change of pace from my usual bourbon drinks.

It seems to get a lot of negative reviews online though, so maybe I'm just weird. But I find it quite enjoyable, especially given its price. Very nice to sip neat. I plan to try Johnnie Walker Red or Black once my J&B runs out. :)
JPBoston

Unread postby ebo » Mon Apr 23, 2012 7:44 pm

JPBoston wrote:J&B is also featured prominently in The Thing ('82)!

I recently tried 50ml samplers of Chivas Regal, Dewars white label, and J&B, to see if there was a 'cheap-o' scotch I liked. I preferred J&B to the others, though Dewars is VERY similar, maybe slightly less sweet. I found the Chivas Regal to be pretty nasty.

I just bought a 1.75L of J&B for $23.99, and it enjoy it quite a bit.... so soft, sweet and mellow. A nice change of pace from my usual bourbon drinks.

It seems to get a lot of negative reviews online though, so maybe I'm just weird. But I find it quite enjoyable, especially given its price. Very nice to sip neat. I plan to try Johnnie Walker Red or Black once my J&B runs out. :)

Don't waste your time or money on JW Red... it's just plain awful. The Black is a very decent blend that drinks easy. Of course, this is just my opinion. :wink:
ebo

Unread postby gillmang » Tue Apr 24, 2012 11:32 am

I also have found recent samples of Chivas disappointing. This was a classic brand back in the day, but could it have tasted like that in the 1960's, say? Seems hard to believe, unless the bar has changed that much (quality of whisky in general and what people expect)...

Dewar's is pretty good, so is Ballantine, I'll have to try J&B again, I haven't for many years. Cutty Sark actually is excellent, it's light-bodied but has a good natural scotch whisky taste. Very nice product. I've never really been a fan of the Johnnie Walker products except for the Gold, not sure why. They have a house taste I think I don't cotton to, but the Gold is excellent.

Gary
gillmang
Vatman

Unread postby JPBoston » Tue Apr 24, 2012 4:32 pm

ebo wrote:
JPBoston wrote:J&B is also featured prominently in The Thing ('82)!

Don't waste your time or money on JW Red... it's just plain awful. The Black is a very decent blend that drinks easy. Of course, this is just my opinion. :wink:

Thanks for the heads-up --- I think I may try sample sizes of each to test 'em out beforehand. :)
JPBoston

Unread postby JPBoston » Wed May 02, 2012 4:04 pm

Hey Ebo --

I took your advice and ordered a JW:B last time I was out with my wife... very tasty stuff, good call! Haven't tried the red label yet, but I'll try a sample size at some point just to see the difference.
JPBoston

Unread postby ebo » Thu May 03, 2012 6:54 pm

JPBoston wrote:Hey Ebo --

I took your advice and ordered a JW:B last time I was out with my wife... very tasty stuff, good call! Haven't tried the red label yet, but I'll try a sample size at some point just to see the difference.

:thumbright:
ebo

Next

Return to Scotch Whisky