Two Single Barrel Bourbons acting like one.

Talk about rare, export, annual release and other types of similar bottlings here.

Moderator: Squire

Re: Two Single Barrel Bourbons acting like one.

Unread postby Mike » Sun Apr 22, 2012 7:37 pm

BTW, John, I tried adding a wee bit of a very good sipping Rum to the Evan Williams Single Barrel/Knob Creek Single Barrel, Irish Whiskey vatting and did not care for that kind of sweetness.

If, as Mike Veach says, many of the flavorful solids do not come over in a 'boil' wonder if you could take old whiskey boil it and get rid of the excessive tannins......... alternatively, you could advertise that you have some 'wonderful' old whiskey and sell it at exorbitant prices!!
Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rage at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light. - Dylan Thomas
Mike

Unread postby gillmang » Mon Apr 23, 2012 12:03 pm

Mike, some bourbons from the 70's and earlier have a rum-like taste and sweetness, I'm not sure why. (I hope the old-timers didn't thrown molasses into the fermenting tuns of occasion as a quick way to save money! :)). In all likelihood the common factor was congeners resulting from a low distillation proof, but again I'm not sure.

There is a way to reduce the tannin in old whiskey: filter it. Alcohol producers often filter dark rum so well it comes out white. I understand much white rum in the market is a few years old and formerly was amber, i.e., it is rendered white by a fine filtration which takes out the solids Mike V mentioned. There is a white Canadian whisky on the market, White Owl, which is between eight and ten years old. It is rendered white through this process.

So if you could buy a filter like that you can do it yourself, but I don't know what they use for this, perhaps its size or cost precludes home adaptation. If you could do it though, say you took out 20% of the solids: you've reduced the age by 20%, kind of :).

Gary
gillmang
Vatman

Unread postby Mike » Mon Apr 23, 2012 7:45 pm

I should have known that filtering can remove that many of the 'flavor' components, but I didn't. They are obviously of microscopic size, they do stay suspended and never seem to settle out completely.
Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rage at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light. - Dylan Thomas
Mike

Previous

Return to Enthusiast Bottlings