And then there was this whiskey - best ever made

Discuss any bourbon related topics here that do not belong in a forum below.

Moderator: Squire

And then there was this whiskey - best ever made

Unread postby Mike » Wed Apr 18, 2012 8:18 pm

I know something of American Whiskies, and a wee bit of the wonderful history of these whiskies....... and even a wee bit about the taste of them over the years. But about the only thing I can say with great confidence is that on an individual level, what matters is that, if you are a true Bourbon Enthusiast, the only thing that matters is what your palate tells you.

Now, there are those who argue that taste is so subjective that what you like here and now is all that matters. All I can say is 'not so'. In my humble opinion, sipping and enjoying bourbon (like all human endeavors) may end some day, as everything on a personal human level does, but it goes on as long as it is enjoyable to you.

Let us not play games here, drinking spirits, bourbon included, always carries risks. I will not go into them, as they have been enumerated many times and at some point, if you are a Bourbon Enthusiast, you must evaluate them for yourself.......... or sink into the depravity that always awaits those who abuse pretty much anything. I am not one who would remove risks from society because they can cause harm.

Still, what I am addressing here is the tendency of our society to anoint a number one in way too many endeavors. If there is a number one in anyting it is very fleeting and to be lost in the game of finding it is to be truly lost. The idea that there is a 'best' bourbon is foolish. But, I hasten to add there are some bourbons that are better than other bourbons. Which ones fit this category are for you to discover.

But....... the true Bourbon Enthusiast is always looking for that better bourbon, and is relentless in his/her pursuit of that Bourbon. To do so is to be human in the best sense of what it means to be a human being. What rings your bell today, may not ring it tomorrow. If it is your game to find the one bourbon that suits you best, my hat is off to you, but you are not (in my opinion) a Bourbon Enthusiast.

Being a Bourbon Enthusiast is not playing in a game that has an end!
Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rage at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light. - Dylan Thomas
Mike

Re: And then there was this whiskey - best ever made

Unread postby William » Fri Apr 20, 2012 5:30 am

Id like to thank this forum for telling me about great brands. I dont like JB, and I knew before hand that JD wasnt bourbon. THis site has allowed me to feel comfortable with taking risks in buying other brands I wouldnt know which to choose from. I like the taste of bourbon straight now more than with coke, it didnt take much time.

The best whiskey I have had so far would probably be foolish of me to even post though since I am new to the game. I plan on getting a bottle of I have an interest in soon.
William

Unread postby WhiskeyBro » Fri Apr 20, 2012 6:54 pm

Well said. I like the description of drinking Bourbon as a "journey." You go from bottle to bottle, trying different things - enjoying some, some not so much. Why does there need to be a competition? Besides, taste is fairly subjective. Enjoy what you like!
WhiskeyBro

Unread postby RandyG » Thu Apr 26, 2012 12:33 pm

Mike wrote:.....But about the only thing I can say with great confidence is that on an individual level, what matters is that, if you are a true Bourbon Enthusiast, the only thing that matters is what your palate tells you.

Being a tad new to the finer points of bourbon enthusiasum, one of the first things I discovered was the ever changing characteristics on your palette. Whether it be the changes that occur between a freshly opened bottle and it's last few drams or the differences experienced each time you visit the same spirit. I'm at the end of a bottle of Vintage Bourbon right now that was very sharp upon opening. I've found this on many a bottle (a little hot tasting after first cracking the bottle) but this bottle kept that strong taste until only a third of the bottle was left. This last third has mellowed a bit and now stands toe to toe against my favorites. The change in character upon each visit to the same bottle can also be quite peculiar. One day your favorite pour tastes as good as any whiskey you've ever tasted, the next it's just a little off. These differences are never a put-off, at least not to me, in fact I kinda enjoy the mystery each and every time I poor a glass. If Forrest Gump were a bourbon drinker, I think he'd understand.

Mike wrote:.....In my humble opinion, sipping and enjoying bourbon (like all human endeavors) may end some day, as everything on a personal human level does, but it goes on as long as it is enjoyable to you.

.....and to that I'll say, God I hope they have bourbon in heaven!

Mike wrote:Still, what I am addressing here is the tendency of our society to anoint a number one in way too many endeavors. If there is a number one in anyting it is very fleeting and to be lost in the game of finding it is to be truly lost. The idea that there is a 'best' bourbon is foolish. But, I hasten to add there are some bourbons that are better than other bourbons. Which ones fit this category are for you to discover.

Agreed, although this might "one of the best" times in history to be enjoying all these excellent bourbons.

Mike wrote:But....... the true Bourbon Enthusiast is always looking for that better bourbon, and is relentless in his/her pursuit of that Bourbon. To do so is to be human in the best sense of what it means to be a human being. What rings your bell today, may not ring it tomorrow. If it is your game to find the one bourbon that suits you best, my hat is off to you, but you are not (in my opinion) a Bourbon Enthusiast.

Being a Bourbon Enthusiast is not playing in a game that has an end!

Excellent post Mike and enjoy the neverending journey my friends.

Mr. G
RandyG

Return to Bourbon, Straight