A.H. Hirsch 20 year reserve question

Discuss any bourbon related topics here that do not belong in a forum below.

Moderator: Squire

Re: A.H. Hirsch 20 year reserve question

Unread postby gauze » Mon May 02, 2011 8:32 am

while I do believe the market dictates the value (if people will pay $800 for a bottle it's worth $800) I'm also a firm believer in diminishing returns on something like this, ie there is no way a $900 pour is 13x as good as a $70 pour (not that things like this can be quantified). I think it's obvious you are paying for the uniqueness and bragging rights with these ultra luxury items.

I could afford it but I am too cheap ... most I have paid for a bottle is $90. I've bought 100s vinyl records that cost over $90, but zero over $800, so you know where my priorities and limits lay :)
gauze

Unread postby BourbonKiller » Mon May 02, 2011 12:25 pm

A friend of mine gave me a few pours from his Hirsch collection. There is no way I am purchasing a bottle at todays market prices. It was fun to try but I find myself drawn to higher proof & barrel proof Bourbon offerings.
BourbonKiller

Unread postby sawmeister » Tue Sep 06, 2011 4:03 am

If you're still looking for the twenty year old and REALLY want to splurge, Cork n' Bottle in Covington, KY (who originally brought Hirsch to market) are selling a set of five A.H. Hirsch bottles, a 15, 16,18,19, and 20 for $5,000. Like I said, a huge splurge!

I had been a Scotch drinker until a vacation visit to Covington, KY in 1984. They told me to try Blanton's. I was hooked! Next visit to Covington, they suggested the Hirsch. WOW!
Eventually, I ended up with a case of 16 and a case of 20 and some singles of 18. I vaguely remember the 20 was under $40. I've tried a lot of whisky and Hirsch is still my favorite, (I've got 2 1/2 20s left and 3 1/2 16s), but don't think I'd pay $1200. for a bottle. That would buy a lot of Blantons and Four Roses. On the other hand I would never sell them. (They do come out on special occasions)

I have friends who are serious wine collectors and they drop that kind of money often. And the bottles they buy are gone in one sitting. I guess it's all relative.
sawmeister

Unread postby KYcocktail » Sun Sep 18, 2011 12:26 pm

I've been lucky to try the 20yr as well as all the newer non-Michters bottlings from Hirsch. Tasting the 20yr next to Pappy 23 and the Hirsch 16 is night and day. The A.H. Hirsch Reserve 20 year is in a class by its self, rich, viscous, powerful and one of the longest finishing spirits I have ever tasted. It's worth a taste, and the value will only go up.
KYcocktail

Unread postby rkilmon » Sun Apr 15, 2012 6:40 pm

the current price for the ah hirsch 20 year reserve is $2600 non ebay.
ah hirsch 16 year reserve is going for around $550 as of 4-15-12.
rkilmon

Unread postby EllenJ » Tue Apr 17, 2012 12:41 pm

The first thing to remember is that, unfortunately for those who revere this whiskey, the Hirsh versions of Michters' are very good, but they were NEVER THAT good. Secondly, there have been subsequent bottlings that are not at all equivalent to the original 16 or 20 year-old bottlings. Look for labels with really fancy calligraphy; they changed to a simpler design later. And, third, the absolute TOP price you should be willing to pay for this over-priced "fool's gold" should be about $100 a bottle; any more and you're only extending a ficticious legend of quality that the whiskey itself never deserved in the first place.

(of course, that's just my own opinion, for whatever that's worth.)
=JOHN=
(the "Jaye" part of "L 'n' J dot com")
http://www.ellenjaye.com
EllenJ

Unread postby William » Wed Apr 18, 2012 5:27 am

If i were a millionaire id be buying up all sorts of bottles and storing them. If he can buy it then he shouldnt feel bad about it, just makes sure he keeps the bottle.
William

Unread postby Bourbon Joe » Wed Apr 18, 2012 8:56 am

Chuck Cowdery has a new book coming out about the entire history of Michter's and these whiskies.
Joe
Colonel Joseph B. "Bourbon Joe" Koch

Bourbon, It's cheaper than therapy!
Bourbon Joe
Erudite Bourbonite
Erudite Bourbonite

Unread postby Adammax » Sat Feb 23, 2013 4:55 pm

I know this thread is old but I just am curious, I managed a restaurant for years in dc with extensive wine, scotch, bourbon,cordial, etc called restaurant Nora where we charged 45$/ glass for the 20 yr old, had the 16 as well. Is that where your son had it? Once again jus curious. Cheers
Adammax

Previous

Return to Bourbon, Straight