Different Sips For Different Nips

Discuss any bourbon related topics here that do not belong in a forum below.

Moderator: Squire

Different Sips For Different Nips

Unread postby RandyG » Tue Apr 03, 2012 1:33 pm

I was feelin brave the other night and decided to go at a bottle of BTAC W. L. Weller straight up. What I found was that if I took just enough to coat the tongue and thats it, it was spectacular. This surprised me somewhat as I had assumed that a 127 proof whiskey would need to be cut some to tame the alcohol. I had previously tried distilled, spring and ice but nothing really spoke to me. This happy accident has led me to wonder:

Do others vary their sippin intake depending on the poor?

Cheers,
Mr. G
RandyG

Re: Different Sips For Different Nips

Unread postby vince » Wed Apr 04, 2012 8:39 am

I dont vary my intake and what I have found is "less is more", meaning that I take very little whiskey into my mouth (no matter what the proof). I then roll it around my tongue and hold it for a time and swallow. When I have taken larger sips I found that the alcohol overwhelmed me, by taking is a small amount I think you maximize the flavors and really appreciate the craftmanship and the distinctiveness of each whiskey
vince

Re: Different Sips For Different Nips

Unread postby RandyG » Wed Apr 04, 2012 12:30 pm

That's exactly what I normally do as well, and may be why the above caught me a little off guard. With other cask strength spirits, I found that I have to add water or ice. Trying to do it straight always left a burn or overwelming taste. With the Weller however, a very small sip (not even enough to roll around) resulted in a very delicious sensation.

Cheers,
Mr. G
RandyG

Return to Bourbon, Straight