An unconventioal, but good deal on Beam

Discuss any bourbon related topics here that do not belong in a forum below.

Moderator: Squire

An unconventioal, but good deal on Beam

Unread postby Birdo » Tue Mar 13, 2012 10:04 am

I was checking for deal at Evergreen Liquors and came across Beam sampler packs with 4-50ml samples for $4.00. Being good at math, I quickly figured out I could get 800ml of Beam for only $16. The sampler packs contain Beam White, Beam Black, Devil Cut, and Red Stag. I enjoy Beam black and devils cut plenty fine. My wife likes the red stag with sprite and Beam white mixes well with coke or sprite.

I'm the first to admit that Devils Cut is a gimmick, but it is pretty good, I wouldn't spend $22 bucks on a 750ml of devils, but I would drink 50ml at a dollar a pop. Red Stag? Its not really bourbon, but Captain Morgan isn't really rum and its extremely popular.

The little bottles should come in handy at Chruchhill downs, but don't tell anyone I snuck this stuff in. $10 bucks for a track mint julep is just plain nuts. Beam white and coke should be just fine the Kentucky derby.
Birdo

Re: An unconventioal, but good deal on Beam

Unread postby Mike » Fri Mar 16, 2012 8:30 pm

First off, Birdo, let me say that I enjoy your posts. We tend to look at things from a slightly different perspective, but I certainly appreciate your opinions. You know a lot about bourbon and about your own palate. In your honor, I tried some Devil's Cut. As you say, it is not bad bourbon, but I must say that it still does not suit me........ a bit rough in the finish. I know you like Knob Creek and we certainly agree on that one....... and on Fighting Cock. I have not had any in a long time and am out of it, but Baker's used to be a favorite bourbon of mine. as well as Booker's.

Cheers, Birdo!
Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rage at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light. - Dylan Thomas
Mike

Re: An unconventioal, but good deal on Beam

Unread postby Birdo » Mon Mar 19, 2012 7:31 am

I really only like Devils Cut well enough to enjoy a few 50ml's at $1/per, no need for me to take ownership of a 750ml for $22, the going rate here in Louisville.

Obviously these distillers put their best bourbon in pricey bottles, and I will be in the market for a top shelf pour later this week. I probably should try Bakers as that sounds pretty reasonable. I like a higher proof bourbon aged from 6-10 years typically so that might be something I enjoy.

I'm not quite as price sensitive as I was, but I still like a good deal. Very Old Barton, Fighting Cock, and Wild Turkey are all great values that fit my taste. Turns out, most bourbon is pretty good bourbon, what I don't like is youngish 80 proof stuff.

The Red Stag samples are being enjoyed by wife, mixed in sprite, this stuff is easy to drink for those that mix, This looks like a great way to get the "Captain Morgan' and bacardi crowd to drink bourbon.

Cheers Mike!
Birdo

Return to Bourbon, Straight