VERY RARE- Buffalo Trace 5 Millionth Barrel Bottle- Price?

Have an old/rare bottle you'd like some more info on?

Moderator: Squire

VERY RARE- Buffalo Trace 5 Millionth Barrel Bottle- Price?

Unread postby BWilloughby » Wed Feb 22, 2012 12:42 pm

Hello,
I'm a new member (posting of a topic) to BourbonEnthusiast, though I've been reading post on here for a long time.

Anyway, I have a very limited rare Buffalo Trace Bottle from the 5th millionth barrel that I purchased at a Olympic Fundraiser silent auction in the early 90's, here in Louisville, KY. The likes of Mark Spitz and other Olympic heros were on hand. I have researched this bottle as much as I could, including receiving an email back from the CEO of Buffalo Trace, Mark Brown, last week.(see below) However, I still do not know the approx value of the bottle. I guess it is worth whatever someone is willing to give me for it.

What I do know is that the bottle is from the 5th Millionth Barrel that resided in their single barrel, famous warehouse V. It is 1 of 150 bottles and that these bottles were only released to non-profit organizations for auctions.
A bourbon connoisseur offered me $1,500 5 years ago and I turned it down. From the research that I 've done, the new Millennium bottles that were just released last fall to non-profits were fetching anywhere from $1,000 to well over $2,000 and my bottle is twice as rare and old as that one. And according to Mark Brown the 6th millionth barrel is still resting in warehouse V.

Today, I am considering selling the bottle to a collector or someone who would appreciate the rarity of this bourbon and its story. Pictures
Any feedback on this would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
Brian Willoughby
brian.willoughby08@gmail.com (email for offers on bottle)
Louisville, KY

Brian,

Hello and thank you for writing.

Never too busy to respond to a customer enquiry!

In addition to the information on the bottle itself, the 5th millionth barrel was a rye mash bourbon, it was aged in warehouse V - the world's only 1 barrel warehouse, there were only around 150 bottles released, so certainly rare. It is hard to estimate value, our best advice would be to look at what collector whiskey bottles are selling for on eBay, that might provide some idea of the potential value. However, the newer Millennium barrel

By way of clarification, the barrel that was recently released for non profits was the Millennium barrel - the last barrel we made on the last day of the last century. The 6 millionth is still happily aging in warehouse V.

Hope this helps.

Cheers for now,

Mark.
BWilloughby

Re: VERY RARE- Buffalo Trace 5 Millionth Barrel Bottle- Price?

Unread postby Bourbon Joe » Thu Feb 23, 2012 8:18 am

Well, you certainley have a rare bottle there, albeit it is only BT whiskey. To me it's just another single barrel of mediocre whiskey. I don't get all goo goo eyed about it being the 5 millionth barrel, but some might. The best place to sell it is probably E-Bay because there are nuts on there who pay big bucks for this stuff. Good luck in selling it. I have no interest.
Joe
Colonel Joseph B. "Bourbon Joe" Koch

Bourbon, It's cheaper than therapy!
Bourbon Joe
Erudite Bourbonite
Erudite Bourbonite

Re: VERY RARE- Buffalo Trace 5 Millionth Barrel Bottle- Price?

Unread postby BWilloughby » Thu Feb 23, 2012 8:42 am

Thanks Colonel,
I agree that it is only BT whiskey, however to a BT collector that might need a 1 in 150 bottle and would say this could possible be his prized bottle.
Thanks again for your reply and your suggestion.
It is appreciated!
Brian
BWilloughby

Return to Collector's Corner