Looking for a new Value Pour w/ specific traits. Please Help

Discuss any bourbon related topics here that do not belong in a forum below.

Moderator: Squire

Looking for a new Value Pour w/ specific traits. Please Help

Unread postby JPBoston » Thu Feb 16, 2012 8:53 pm

Hello all.

I'd like to start out by saying "thank you" for helping inform me on bourbon as I began this new hobby. I've been lurking here for awhile now, soaking up as much info as possible, without flooding your board with noob questions... but I fear I have one for you anyway, as the thread title suggests.

This forum was instrumental in turning me on to Buffalo Trace, the first bottle of bourbon I ever bought (not counting Maker's Mark in college). It's still my favorite whiskey, period. Though I haven't sampled much at all, compared to the many experts here.

I'm looking for an "every day value pour" that has some of the same characteristics of BT, but at a lower price point. From my research here, I'm pretty sure one of the main factors of my BT enjoyment is that it leans more to the Rye side compared to other wheat bourbons like Maker's Mark.

Right now, my value bourbon is Evan Williams. I can get 1.75L for $14 here in AZ. But it just doesn't do it for me anymore, and I was hoping that I could find something a little more comparable to the BT side if possible. II'd like to get this new value pour for $20 or under for the 1.75L if possible, but would certainly entertain some extra options that stretch beyond that limit a bit. But $25 would probably be the hard limit (since its the 'value' pour I'm looking for).

For some more info on my likes, I'll list my favorite bourbons thus far, regardless of price point:

1) Buffalo Trace -- the peppery/leathery/spice is so different then anything I've tried just yet. Brilliant stuff, and a great bargain to boot. I enjoy it best completely neat.

2) Woodford's Reserve -- High quality stuff. I seem to enjoy it a bit more with an ice cube or maybe 2. Almost has a 'scotchy' aftertaste that I like.

3) Knob Creek -- I only tried a sample size of 50ml. But I remember enjoying it a lot.

4) Evan Williams Black -- Great Value, but that's about it. Hard for me to drink neat or with ice. I usually stick with Old Fashionds when using it.

5) Jim Beam White -- Very similar to EW. A little bit more spice and harsher? This was another 50 ml sample size several months ago, so I'm hardly an expert.

6) Maker's Mark -- Seems to taste like EW, but with less subtleties.
JPBoston

Re: Looking for a new Value Pour w/ specific traits. Please Help

Unread postby Bourbon Joe » Fri Feb 17, 2012 11:04 am

Try Old Weller Antique. It might be just slightly higher than your price point but you won't get any better whiskey. It's 107 proof, so if you can't handle the heat, stay out of the kitchen.
Joe
Colonel Joseph B. "Bourbon Joe" Koch

Bourbon, It's cheaper than therapy!
Bourbon Joe
Erudite Bourbonite
Erudite Bourbonite

Unread postby Bourbon HQ » Fri Feb 17, 2012 11:45 am

Also, try Old Forester Signature. A great value and taste at 100 proof.

Gayle
Bourbon HQ

Unread postby PaulO » Fri Feb 17, 2012 1:05 pm

You may like Very Old Barton.
PaulO

Unread postby Bourbon HQ » Fri Feb 17, 2012 1:13 pm

Also, let's not forget Four Roses yellow label. I get it here for $17.00.

Gayle
Bourbon HQ

Unread postby Rotgut » Fri Feb 17, 2012 3:12 pm

Your prices sound quite a bit lower than the prices here. For instance, once in a while I can find EWB for under $20 for a 1.75, but it's usually around $20 - 25. So consider yourself lucky in that regard. Also I haven't found it easy to find a lot of variety in 1.75's.

The "value" choices I can think of that I can find in 1.75's are Wild Turkey 101, Fighting Cock, and maybe Heaven Hill 10 yr or 8 yr BIB, although I don't think that's available everywhere. You could try Ancient Age, but I don't find it to be that good. There's also Fleischmann's Rye, but I think it's only available in WI & KY. Plus it usually tastes a little musty to me.

For all-around value I'd say get some OGD, but it might be a little more expensive. I'm sure it's sold somewhere in 1.75's, but I've never seen it.

Good luck. Let us know what you find.

Mike
Rotgut

Unread postby Bourbon HQ » Fri Feb 17, 2012 3:40 pm

Everything you mentioned is sold here. You should make a trip down here to Kentucky and stock up on things you like.

Gayle
Bourbon HQ

Unread postby Wasatch » Fri Feb 17, 2012 7:22 pm

Maybe give these a look at:

Bulleit Frontier
Ridgemont Reserve 1792
Jack Daniels Single Barrel
Eagle Rare Single Barrel
Cheers!
Wasatch

Unread postby Mike » Fri Feb 17, 2012 8:11 pm

You might try Old Ezra 101, a 7 YO whiskey that I find to be quite good and it sells for about $10. For a step up I would recommend Evan Williams Single Barrel which costs about $24 where I live.
Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rage at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light. - Dylan Thomas
Mike

Unread postby JPBoston » Fri Feb 17, 2012 9:40 pm

Thanks for all the quick responses!

But nobody mentioned the magic words of 'similar to Buffalo Trace'... so I assume it probably doesn't exist for anything cheaper then BT itself.

I definitely have been meaning to check out just about all the bourbons mentioned here...

Old Forester Signature... BevMo may carry it, and just didn't label it correctly online. There's no pic of the bottle, and no 'signature' listed in the title, but it is 100 proof. They only list as having the 1.75L bottle available, for $37.99.

Is Old Forester (standard) a good bourbon to explore? It's similar in price to Evan Williams here.

Also --- Old Grand Dad -- I've been meaning to try. It's only $17.99 for 1.75L here at Total Wine (for the 86 proof version). We also have OGD 114 for $21.99 for 750ml... but that's a few dollars more then BT ($18.99), so it better be damn good. :)

I've never tried Wild Turkey... I think because the name turned me off (much like Buffalo Trace would have if I didn't read about it here first, lol).

Total Wine also has a brand called Black Eagle bourbon that is very inexpensive. Though the description turns me off: "Best enjoyed with a splash of cola or ginger ale". Hrmm... I'm assuming that means it tastes like gasoline then. :)

Eagle Rare Single Barrell -- Lol. I said value pour. Not top shelf! But ER has been on my radar for sure, as well as Bulleit. As has a ton of of other not-so-cheap stuff that I'll be harassing you guys about much later on, as my palate matures. Right now, I'm hoping to find a cheap alternative to EW:B to compliment my bottle of Buffalo Trace.

Jack Daniels SB -- My dad always had a bottle of JD Black around, and I grew up hating that taste. It was a relief when I looked up forums like this that seemed to agree. So it'll be awhile before I venture back to JD, even though I'm sure the SB is much more refined.

Old Ezra -- we have Ezra Brooks 90proof, but only in 1.75L for $26.99... and an Ezra 12yr, priced at $33 for 750ml. Neither of those sound like the one mentioned here, unfortunately for me.
JPBoston

Unread postby Bourbon Joe » Fri Feb 17, 2012 10:04 pm

That Ezra 12 year will blow the doors off regular Ezra and the 7 y/o Old Ezra.
Joe
Colonel Joseph B. "Bourbon Joe" Koch

Bourbon, It's cheaper than therapy!
Bourbon Joe
Erudite Bourbonite
Erudite Bourbonite

Unread postby T Comp » Sat Feb 18, 2012 11:54 pm

JPBoston wrote:Thanks for all the quick responses!

But nobody mentioned the magic words of 'similar to Buffalo Trace'... so I assume it probably doesn't exist for anything cheaper then BT itself.
I

Benchmark...same mashbill, less age, less proof and less price. The guy across the pond, Ralfy liked it quite a bit if I remember. I myself haven't had the current version only dusties but if it's value and similar that your looking for it might be the answer.
T Comp

Unread postby JPBoston » Sun Feb 19, 2012 12:54 am

Thanks, Tcomp... just checked and I can grab a 1.75L for about $16. I will try this right after I give OGD 86 a chance.
JPBoston

Unread postby Birdo » Sat Feb 25, 2012 11:25 am

Since you like Knob Creek, and Buffalo Trace, I think you would like Jim Beam Black. It's cheaper than KC and BT, and about as good for less money, that makes it a value choice.
Birdo

Unread postby wmpevans » Sun Feb 26, 2012 7:10 pm

EC-12 can be had for $21/750, or about $40 for 1.75L.

A little over your value-budget pour, but a damn fine bourbon for the price.

Bill.
wmpevans

Next

Return to Bourbon, Straight