Health Benefits of Alcohol

There's a lot of history and 'lore' behind bourbon so discuss both here.

Moderator: Squire

Health Benefits of Alcohol

Unread postby jbohan » Wed Mar 30, 2005 5:37 pm

Hopefully anybody on this site has read the first two news articles posted on the main page. In a nutshell one doctor from Harvard says that red wine doesn't have an advantage over other forms of alcoholic beverages in providing the health benefits derived from moderate use of alcohol. On the other hand a doctor from Yale says red wine is definitely superior in providing health benefits.

I like the first doctor because she supports the arguement I always present to people who feel hard liquor is not as good for you as wine (those snobs!)

The physical health issues aside, I believe a fair amount of mental well being is promoted by spending quality time with a good pour.

If anybody has any articles from other experts it would be interesting to see them.
:drink:
To long ashes and long finishes
jbohan
True Friend

Re: Health Benefits of Alcohol

Unread postby TrueBarrel » Wed Mar 30, 2005 6:23 pm

jbohan wrote: I like the first doctor because she supports the arguement I always present to people who feel hard liquor is not as good for you as wine (those snobs!)

The physical health issues aside, I believe a fair amount of mental well being is promoted by spending quality time with a good pour. :drink:

I couldn't agree with you more on both points. As to the first point, I enjoy fine wines but find bourbon to be a much better value per serving than just about any red wine I like.

I also apply your second point to moderate cigar smoking, which when done while enjoying a good pour I believe more than doubles the amount of mental well being achieved. The sum is in fact greater than the parts!

:drink: :cigarnut:
TrueBarrel

Unread postby jbohan » Wed Mar 30, 2005 6:30 pm

As you can see from my signature I enjoy the cigar almost as much as the bourbon, although not as often. But the two together ... Oh Yeah !

:cheers: :cigarnut:
To long ashes and long finishes
jbohan
True Friend

Return to Bourbon Lore