Old Taylor BIB 1974 and Walkers Deluxe

Have an old/rare bottle you'd like some more info on?

Moderator: Squire

Old Taylor BIB 1974 and Walkers Deluxe

Unread postby ejmharris » Tue Jan 10, 2012 7:40 pm

Hello All,
Other than the newbie post, this is my first in this forum. I wanted to get some information on a couple of dusty bottles that came into my position. I am not looking for value as I know what I paid for them and to me they were worth it, even before tasting. I bought the Old Taylor to store until 2014 for my twin brothers and my 40th bday (reason for value being worth it).

Here are the details that I am trying to determine for each bottle:

Walkers Deluxe
1. Approximate age - It is aged 8 years and is 86 proof. It has a red label covering the plastic cap. This bottle is a 200ml version. There is no bar code or back label. It says it was distilled by Hiram Walker & Son Inc, peoria Illinois. I would assume it is mid 70's to early 80's but without the bottling date stamp, I really have no idea.
2. Taste - This is one I will try neat to try it, but is it something I will be mixing after that?

Old Taylor BIB (1974) -
Tasting Notes: Anyone have this recently or back in the day? This was the real reason I bought it and really wanted something to celebrate a 40th bday.

I also got a Jim Beam white label from what I believe is the early 80's. Going to crack this one open soon and enjoy with some coke or sprite like I do the current stuff.

Thanks in advance for any info you have. If you have any questions about them let me know.
ejmharris

Re: Old Taylor BIB 1974 and Walkers Deluxe

Unread postby Bourbon Joe » Tue Jan 10, 2012 9:17 pm

The Old Taylor should be a great bottle.The Walker's ?????, but who knows.
Joe
Colonel Joseph B. "Bourbon Joe" Koch

Bourbon, It's cheaper than therapy!
Bourbon Joe
Erudite Bourbonite
Erudite Bourbonite

Unread postby T Comp » Thu Jan 12, 2012 6:39 pm

The Walker's DeLuxe, if true Peoria distilled, is excellent with a classic rummy taste that shows in many of the bourbons distilled in the '60's and '70's. There is also plenty of white fruit especially pear. Has some similarities to those lovely Sauternes wines. You mention that it is 200ml and metric started showing in '79-'80 but usually with fluid ounces also displayed through about '84. The Peoria Hiram Walker distillery stopped distilling whiskey in '72 so maybe they were still filling bottles with Peoria distilled into the early and mid 80's as this was the glut era. After Peoria it is reported that distilling was done for short while at Heaven Hill and then Barton. Just because the label says what it says doesn't mean it was distilled in Peoria.
T Comp

Unread postby ejmharris » Fri Jan 13, 2012 9:26 pm

T Comp wrote:The Walker's DeLuxe, if true Peoria distilled, is excellent with a classic rummy taste that shows in many of the bourbons distilled in the '60's and '70's. There is also plenty of white fruit especially pear. Has some similarities to those lovely Sauternes wines. You mention that it is 200ml and metric started showing in '79-'80 but usually with fluid ounces also displayed through about '84. The Peoria Hiram Walker distillery stopped distilling whiskey in '72 so maybe they were still filling bottles with Peoria distilled into the early and mid 80's as this was the glut era. After Peoria it is reported that distilling was done for short while at Heaven Hill and then Barton. Just because the label says what it says doesn't mean it was distilled in Peoria.

Thank you very much for the bottle info and tasting info (if it is Hiram peoria). The bottle does have the 200ml and ounces listed. I would guess then 79-89 range or a little later. It does say distiller in peoria but agree the bottle info doesn't always provide the whole truth and nothing but the truth. Thanks again!
ejmharris

Return to Collector's Corner