Comments on gillmang`s review of Old Grand Dad

Comments and Discussion on Whiskey Reviews found in BE.com's database

Moderator: Squire

Comments on gillmang`s review of Old Grand Dad

Unread postby forumadmin » Tue Jan 03, 2012 10:55 am

This is an automatically created topic for discussion about gillmang's review of Old Grand Dad.
forumadmin
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Unread postby Birdo » Tue Jan 03, 2012 10:55 am

OGD is made in Frankfort and has a different mash bill than Jim Beam products from Clermont KY. I happen to like 86 proof OGD better than the others.
Birdo

Re: Comments on gillmang`s review of Old Grand Dad

Unread postby vince » Tue Jan 03, 2012 12:20 pm

I agree with Gary's review, I think this is a very good bourbon. I like the 114 the best followed by the BIB! Great Value!
vince

Unread postby gillmang » Tue Jan 03, 2012 12:23 pm

It's bottled in Frankfort and maybe aged there, but I believe it is distilled at Beam's plant in Boston, KY (Booker Noe plant).

It's one of the two mashbills Beam uses, e.g. I understand Knob Creek is the OGD mashbill, as is Basil Hayden. Beam White uses the other mash bill, etc. Maybe the Gran-dad group uses its own yeast, I am not sure.

IMO the bourbons made by either mashbill have tasted similar in the last two decades or so. Occasionally you get one that seems to stray from the profile. It makes sense it was a bonded in this case due to the specifics of that type of bourbon production.

Gary
gillmang
Vatman

Unread postby EllenJ » Wed Jan 04, 2012 1:15 am

I would agree 100% with Gary here, and I would go a little further and add -- with examples I can taste right now -- that, of all the brands Beam obtained when they purcased the National Distillers' assets, they have treated Old Grand Dad with an admirable amount of respect. That wasn't true of Old Crow, which they gutted -- I believe quite intetionally, since it was their major competitor before the purchase -- or Old Taylor, which they did "downgrade", but only gently and slowly. .

Old Grand Dad, on the other hand, has always been treated with respect.

Perhaps that's because the Old Grand Dad distillery at Forks-of-the-Elkhorn (near Frankfort) has now become Beam's main aging and bottling plant. I don't know -- Old Grand Dad (AFAIK) is now distilled at Beam's Boston distillery and then trucked to Frankfort for aging and bottling. In fact, it might not even age there; I'm not sure. All I know is that we have samples of OGD from several decades (unfortunately none before National Distillers -- anyone out there got any pre-pro samples? P.M. me... PLEASE) and I have to say that, of all the different brands that have changed ownership in the past fifty years, Old Grand Dad is (along with Old Overholt -- also a Beam-owned label) the one LEAST different from the way it used to taste when made by it's original producer.
=JOHN=
(the "Jaye" part of "L 'n' J dot com")
http://www.ellenjaye.com
EllenJ

Unread postby gillmang » Wed Jan 04, 2012 11:18 pm

Thanks John, these are words that hold great weight coming from the source they do.

Hope to meet up with you again, maybe later this year.

Gary
gillmang
Vatman

Return to Whiskey Review Discussion