Jim Beam Rye

Talk about Tennessee, American and Rye Whiskey here.

Moderator: Squire

Jim Beam Rye

Unread postby cincy-drinker » Mon Mar 28, 2005 8:00 pm

Anyone tried this stuff yet?
I been thinking about a new rye around the house.
Thanks ahead of time.
cincy-drinker

Unread postby TrueBarrel » Mon Mar 28, 2005 8:10 pm

Yes, I've gone through a couple of bottles over the past year. It's ok, but IMHO the Wild Turkey Rye is significantly better (and for only a couple bucks more in my area); it's fuller, more robust, spicier, richer and simply more flavorful. I buy the Beam occasionally, but the WT is my table rye.

If you haven't tried it already, get some Sazerac Rye and/or Van Winkle Family Reserve 13yo. More $$ than the WT, but definately worth it. Each of them is significantly different from each other and from the WT Rye.
TrueBarrel

Unread postby Mark » Mon Mar 28, 2005 8:39 pm

Yeah, I've got to go with the suggestions that TrueBarrel gave ya'. The WT Rye is definitely more 'fulfilling' than the Beam rye but if you can find them and don't mind experimenting for a few more bucks Sazerac 18yo and Van Winkle Family Reserve Rye 13yo are always winners. I'd even suggest Classic Cask 21 or 22yo but at $10-$20 more than the Van Winkle or Saz it's not a cheap experiment! Let us know what you ultimately decide on and what you think of it. :cheers:
-=_Mark_=-
Mark
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Unread postby MikeK » Tue Mar 29, 2005 2:15 pm

I've been meaning to ask opinions on this one myself. Sazerac is one of my favorite whiskeys and the VWFRR is also excellent.

I found the nose on the Beam Rye very interesting, but the taste quite weak and watery. I'll have to find some WT rye to compare, I've never seen any to be honest.
MikeK
Student of Whiskey
Student of Whiskey

Unread postby Blue » Tue Mar 29, 2005 3:04 pm

I totally agree. The nose on JB rye is quite nice but the flavor and texture leave something to be desired. Then again, for $10.00 what do you want?

The PLCB used to carry WT rye as a staple but they discontinued it recently. I have never seen it in NJ stores and have only occasionally found it in delaware stores. The most recent bottling is really good though, almost as if they've changed the source or something else dramatic, that puts it well ahead of JB rye in terms of quality. Again, it is also twice the price soooooo.
Blue
Epi-curious

Unread postby gillmang » Tue Mar 29, 2005 4:33 pm

I think part of the problem here is selling Beam, and Overholt, at 80 proof. These drinks really would benefit from a spike to 100. What seems pallid or a little weak tasting would taste much better at the higher proof. It is surprising this choice isn't offered, maybe the market is too small to begin with but then look at Rittenhouse, its sales are very small I am sure yet it is issued in both 80 and 100 proof. That is why I admire Heaven Hill, they are looking to tradition, they don't have to do that but they do because they care - really.

Gary
gillmang
Vatman

Unread postby BostonEnthusiast » Tue Mar 29, 2005 5:26 pm

I'll second (third?) the recommendation for the Sazerac 18 yo -- I tried it at Koji's bar in Japan and was quite impressed (even after the Pappy's 20 yo and 2002 Stagg!)
BostonEnthusiast

Unread postby tlsmothers » Wed Mar 30, 2005 12:58 am

I find something a bit medicinal in the JB rye. Much prefer the WT. Old Overholt is much softer, but quite good as a staple. If you can find the Rittenhouse BIB, go for it! We love the older ryes like Sazerac, VW, Black Maple Hill, and Classic Cask, but Pikesville and Rittenhouse are good if you can find them.
"Drinking just to get drunk is like having sex just to get pregnant." --Robert Hess
tlsmothers

Return to Non-Bourbon Whiskey