Michter's Rye Whiskey

Talk about Tennessee, American and Rye Whiskey here.

Moderator: Squire

Michter's Rye Whiskey

Unread postby gillmang » Mon Mar 28, 2005 6:25 pm

This is not the 10 year old rye but the regular one which is 5 years old. I won't put formal taste notes in Whiskey Reviews. I didn't have it long enough for that, or rather wasn't able to focus since it was a shot in a bar and I was hurried, but I had enough to leave an impression, which was very positive. This surprised me because I had heard so-so reports about the 10 year old. The whiskey is rich, soft-tasting with rye tangs. It is more the honeyed style of rye not the rich sweet wood type. I can't place it, it doesn't quite seem like Heaven Hill's rye or anyone else's, maybe it is young Trace, or Wild Turkey, rye. I saw it in the stores (this in Portland, OR) for about 40 U.S. which seemed a little high to me when, say, Overholt was 13 dollars a bottle. Even Wild Turkey rye is usually available at half the price so I can't quite figure the pricing (never mind the 10 year old) but it is very good to be sure.

Gary
gillmang
Vatman

Unread postby Brewer » Mon Mar 28, 2005 7:10 pm

Gary,

$40 for the young Michters Rye??? Damn that's WAY to expensive for that rye! :cussing: I definitely wouldn't pay that much for it. As you say, it is a good rye, just not worth that much money. I personally like the 10 YO, but I think that it is overly priced as well. I bought a bottle from LeNell, thanks LeNell :) , & I think it was about $55 :?: I figured I'd get 1 to have, but I don't believe that I'll buy another given there are better ryes out there for less money (especially Julian's and Saz). Also, I think there are older ryes available that may be more expensive, but are of higher quality...Classic Cask rye for example.
Bob
Brewer

Unread postby gillmang » Mon Mar 28, 2005 9:18 pm

Hi Bob, yes, these were the prices (give or take a dollar or two) at the Oregon Liquor Control Board. Interesting stores, the one downtown on Washington, where the bottles were on shelves behind the counter reminded me of Ontario Liquor Control of about 25 years ago and more. It was hard to see the stock and e.g. the ages and prices, you had to ask the clerk to bring them over which kind of made you look odd but they were nice about it. Plus, since I shop a lot in Mom and Pops, I was used to it. :) Anyway, good ryes, but at a price. Still, they gave an option: Old Overholt at under $15, Bulleit at $20.00. They had ORVW 15 year old (the old one) for about $45, not bad for a whiskey of finite supply. Anyway the main thing in Portland is beer (and great beer it is) but whiskey is not disdained by the control system, oh no.

Gary
gillmang
Vatman

Unread postby tlsmothers » Wed Mar 30, 2005 12:55 am

Yeah, Bob that bottle was around $60. The Michter's boys swear it is around 15 years old instead of 10. Say they just didn't want to spend money on the label to be approved and already had a bunch of 10 year labels. :roll:

I really like the 10 year rye, but it is a bit pricey, and like Bob, for the money, I'd go with the Classic Cask if you can find it. The young rye I sell here for $29. Michter's is a Kulsveen bottling.
"Drinking just to get drunk is like having sex just to get pregnant." --Robert Hess
tlsmothers

Return to Non-Bourbon Whiskey