What is bourbon drinking about?

Discuss any bourbon related topics here that do not belong in a forum below.

Moderator: Squire

What is bourbon drinking about?

Unread postby Mike » Sun Nov 27, 2011 7:57 pm

In years past, I have, in one form or another discussed this topic......... and it is still dear to my heart. My reasons for pursuing it again are that we have a new crop of bourbon drinkers joining our ranks, and because I think it is an important topic to bring up in an 'Enthusiasts' site.

Drinking bourbon is not without plenty of risks, make no mistake about that. For some folks is can only be described as poisonous, in every sense of that word. I will address few words there, other than a few cautionary ones......... do not abuse bourbon because it is stronger than you if you do. It cares not one whit for you, your family, or your friends. It should never be considered your friend for it surely is NOT, but it MAY be a charming companion.

The best thing about bourbon is that it can be consumed and enjoyed in moderation. It offers wonderfully complex tastes with great variety and it can give you a temporary opening into a world of less stress and open the door to a conviviable evening. But within always lies a beast that can consume you. It must be respected.

There is no best bourbon, never has been, never will be!! It is in the variety that one finds the greatest satisfaction.

The is also no best bourbon for the money. Like in everything else, a loose rule of thumb is that you get what you pay for. If inexpensive bourbons satisfy you, stay with them......... there is nothing compelling anyone to leave his/her comfort zone.......... although for an Enthusiast, I do not recommend that.

If money is a primary concern for you, the differences between the more expensive bourbons and the less expensive is only partly a result of real differences in quality (although there is undoubtedly some as a general rule), much of it is hype (like it is in almost everything we are offered by our marketing system). So let the buyer beware!

Always be aware that your palate is bound to change over time......... so what? Taste more bourbons, learn more about your own palate.
Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rage at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light. - Dylan Thomas
Mike

Re: What is bourbon drinking about?

Unread postby Birdo » Thu Dec 08, 2011 9:24 am

Moderation is super important. This stuff can ruin your health and your private life too.

Your particular patronage has zero impact on any distillers bottom line. If you consume 4 bottles of beam/year or 365bottles/year, beam don't care; however, your liver and brain will!!

Don't drink and drive either.
Birdo

Unread postby Satty Beach » Fri Dec 23, 2011 11:28 am

Yeah it can ruin your life. So can hillbilly heroin. So can regular heroin. So can food. It's about you, not the vehicle. Bourbon has always agreed with me. Not in a "yes man" kind of way, but in a morning after kind of way. Yes, some people drink a lot. I could'nt drink vodka or takillya even if I liked them because the hangovers are horrendous. Plus I like the taste that bourbon has. It's an adult taste, it's a taste you have to invest some time and years into understanding. But now I'm starting to think "all roads lead to Scotch" and bourbon is just a side detour. Bourbons just too dang sweet. I love it for that but we're adults here and there's a reason we're not eating cocoa pops for breakfast anymore. Getting to the end of a handle of Old Forester recently and the syrupy sweetness and cinnamon were just about enough to make me sick. Tasted like kiddie cough syrup. Now who does or didn't at one time like that taste but now it's just too much?

But I love it so. If I didn't have to live by the ocean I'd move inland and be involved in the production of this wonderful, organic, craft product. Not organic in the tree hugger way, organic in the every bbl is different kind of way. Every batch is different, every shipment of grain is different, every season is different.

Right now just enjoying the bourbon ride until I have to move on to something more bitter, less sweet. That will probably be about the time bourbon turns into a fad and I will have already "been there and done that" just like every other fad that came down the pike in the last 20 years.
Taken the cure.
Satty Beach

Unread postby Wasatch » Sun Dec 25, 2011 1:18 pm

Respect Bourbon! :)
Cheers!
Wasatch

Unread postby jaycamm » Sat Jan 28, 2012 3:40 pm

What a great post.
one whiskey for every ghost
jaycamm

Unread postby nefarious_saint » Thu May 03, 2012 3:23 am

I like the taste that bourbon has. It's an adult taste, it's a taste you have to invest some time and years into understanding. But now I'm starting to think "all roads lead to Scotch" and bourbon is just a side detour.

Excellent words. I have a few buddies who have traded Elmer t. Lee and Jeffersons reserve for glenfiddich and lagavulin.
nefarious_saint

Unread postby MauiSon » Sun May 20, 2012 11:37 pm

Hmmm, I'm kinda doin' the opposite. With the cost of scotch risin', I'm lookin' to bourbon and rye for relief. I hope I can make the transition, but it ain't a sure-thin' yet. Started with JBB and EWB - no bells or whistles for me [but at least they're okay].
MauiSon

Unread postby ebo » Mon May 21, 2012 1:08 pm

MauiSon wrote:Hmmm, I'm kinda doin' the opposite. With the cost of scotch risin', I'm lookin' to bourbon and rye for relief. I hope I can make the transition, but it ain't a sure-thin' yet. Started with JBB and EWB - no bells or whistles for me [but at least they're okay].

I started my bourbon journey for the same reason, some years ago. Now, I have two whiskies that I love, and spend money on. :lol:
ebo

Unread postby KYPayne346 » Tue May 29, 2012 12:50 am

In high school I never drank. I never drank in college until I could buy liquor legally. On my 21st birthday, I bought a fifth of Johnnie Walker Red, poured a few fingers into a tumbler, and sipped on it. JW Red is awful, but it opened up an entire new world of flavors to me. I started reading about whiskey. I bought a new bottle every week, Wild Turkey, Old Charter, Buffalo Trace, and each week I learned more. I bought a few Glencarin glasses. I retired my tumblers.

Bourbon has diversified my palette. I taste more in the foods I eat and the drinks I drink. I feel somehow superior to all my peers who resign themselves to shot glasses and cheap vodka. Being a young man, I know no one who can tell you what bourbon is, besides that it gets you drunk. I keep myself to 2 or 3 drinks a night, sipped slowly and enjoyed in the recliner or on the front porch with a cigar (consequently I don't know any cigar smokers). I've never been drunk in my life and seldom get hungover. I could drink bourbon all day every day, and I look forward to drinking, but I look forward to relaxing,to savoring the nuanced flavors that only the proper glassware and patience can bring out.

The key is to take more out of whiskey than whiskey takes out of you. It is a mindset. It is a lifestyle. If it ever becomes a struggle, one should quit the Wild Turkey cold turkey.
KYPayne346

Unread postby RandyG » Thu May 31, 2012 12:27 pm

To me:

It's about relaxing after a tough day. Whether it be a hard day at work or bustin my butt around the homestead, sittin down and relaxing with a small glass of bourbon takes the edge off quite nicely.

It's about enjoying an evening with my best friend playing pool and listening to classic rock. This is my favorite time to enjoy bourbon and usually means the good stuff comes out of hiding.

It's about spending time with my dad when he visits. We will sit down and sample every open bottle I have on the shelf (usually 6-8 bottles). He seems to like them all so I have to be careful when he comes over.

Enjoy,
Mr. G
RandyG

Return to Bourbon, Straight