Bourbon recommendations for beginner

Discuss any bourbon related topics here that do not belong in a forum below.

Moderator: Squire

Bourbon recommendations for beginner

Unread postby Vital » Thu Oct 06, 2011 10:24 am

As I get a bit more mature (can’t say old yet at not even 30yo so “mature” would be the word to use) I notice I start liking some of the “right ways to drink” as opposed to straight shots and alcohol being as cold as possible.

Lately I got into sipping whiskey/bourbon at room temperature over ice. Something about this process that opens up whole new world of taste.

What would you guys recommend for me?
Probably as most beginners I’m looking for something that will not cost an arm and a leg, will have minimum alcohol burn and simple yet tasteful enough to enjoy sipping.

Out of my previous experiences on sipping at “room temp over ice” – I absolutely loved Jack #7 and Jack Honey.
Jim Beam White, Black and Green was also good but on the edge of being a bit too rough as far as alcohol burn. Not too bad thou, I’m sure it’ll be fine a few more times after. Jim was actually my drink of choice when drinking it ice cold out of the freezer in straight shots... yes, I know it’s not what it was made for 
Maker’s Mark was just waaay to much of alcohol burn and taste. All the reviews I’ve read on it I just don’t understand where all that flavor is since alcohol kills any desire to even look for flavor. I tried “Blooper’s edition” where they sell 3 375ml bottles for cheap since they are not dipped in wax right and/or sticker isn’t straight on the bottle. Can whiskey itself be “off” as well in this case?
Vital

Re: Bourbon recommendations for beginner

Unread postby vince » Thu Oct 06, 2011 1:20 pm

WOW, if Makers is too much alcohol burn for you I fear you may not have alot of places to go. To me it is one of the most mellow bourbons out there.
Have you tried Four Roses Yellow label? That is 80 proof and all four roses bourbons are known for their mellow, smooth quality.
I would also try Wathens and Evan Williams black label
vince

Unread postby Mike » Thu Oct 06, 2011 3:50 pm

It could be that you are one of those folks who just does not like alcohol. But, a couple of suggestions MAY help.

(1) Put a small amount of whiskey (25 ml or so) in a small glass and add a little water (just a splash), this will often soften the alcohol effects.

(2) Let the whiskey sit in the glass for a few minutes and swirl the glass a few times, this will allow some of the alcohol vapors and even a small amount of alcohol to escape from the glass.

(3) Do not drink the whiskey, but SIP the whiskey, this will allow the mouth to taste the flavors as they pass toward the back.
Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rage at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light. - Dylan Thomas
Mike

Unread postby Vital » Thu Oct 06, 2011 3:51 pm

Will try 4 Roses Yellow, Wathens and Evan Williams black label, thank you.

As for Maker's - i don't understant that either. As i mentioned in my first post - can whiskey itself be "off" since it was in "bloopers" package?
I liked Jack a lot, Jim while not as smooth as Jack was def good enought to try again and again, i don't see how Maker's should be any worse then these 2 when it comes to burn. Since there's 3 bottles on that "bloopers pack" i'll open another one up to try it, hopefully it is just faulty whiskey.
Vital

Unread postby Vital » Thu Oct 06, 2011 3:54 pm

Mike wrote:It could be that you are one of those folks who just does not like alcohol. But, a couple of suggestions MAY help.

(1) Put a small amount of whiskey (25 ml or so) in a small glass and add a little water (just a splash), this will often soften the alcohol effects.

(2) Let the whiskey sit in the glass for a few minutes and swirl the glass a few times, this will allow some of the alcohol vapors and even a small amount of alcohol to escape from the glass.

(3) Do not drink the whiskey, but SIP the whiskey, this will allow the mouth to taste the flavors as they pass toward the back.

That's pretty much what i did if you count ice as water.
Vital

Unread postby Vital » Thu Oct 06, 2011 4:08 pm

Just read "art of drinking bourbon" thread.... i have a feeling i was sipping it too fast.
Now i can't wait till i get home to really siiiip it sloooooow haha.
Vital

Unread postby RandyG » Thu Oct 06, 2011 9:38 pm

I'm also kinda new to drinking bourbon properly. What works for me is to take a small sip, slowly move it around the mouth for a few seconds, then taking three or four small gulps, slowly swallow it. If it burns, your swallowing too much, too fast. Also, try losing the ice in favor of water. One of the easiest drinking bourbon's on my shelf is Evan Williams Single Barrel. Maybe I got an easy barrel but there is hardly a burn at all. Try different things and do whatever works for you.

Cheers,
Mr. G.
RandyG

Unread postby Roscoe » Fri Oct 07, 2011 1:10 pm

If you are looking for a smoother bourbon I suggest either Basil Hayden or Elmer T. Lee. I prefer the Elmer.

Roscoe
"Crisis occurs when women and cattle get excited".....James Thurber
Roscoe

Unread postby Vital » Fri Oct 07, 2011 3:38 pm

I really think Maker's Mark i have is somehow "off"
I tried Jim's Devil's Cut as well as Hudson Baby Boubon yesterday and both of them had pretty easy burn... actually Devil'sCut was as smooth as i ever wanted.
That on top of what i already tried makes me believe MM is somehow defected/out of bad barrel... at least that's the only explanation that makes sense to me.

while i'm at it - when drinking 2 diffrent brand of whiskey within an hour or so in between - do i still get the same "taste" from the second one as i would if i were to never have the first kind?
Vital

Unread postby Roscoe » Fri Oct 07, 2011 4:02 pm

I had a customer who claimed he had a bad bottle of Black Maple Hill. He contacted the distillery (not that they distill) and they sent him another bottle and sent me a pickup order to send it back to them.
"Crisis occurs when women and cattle get excited".....James Thurber
Roscoe

Unread postby Birdo » Fri Oct 07, 2011 5:41 pm

If Makers burns too much, I would try some Captain Morgan and Coke. It's a fine mixed drink for folks that don't want alcohol burn.
Birdo

Unread postby vince » Sat Oct 08, 2011 9:14 am

Vital wrote:I really think Maker's Mark i have is somehow "off"
I tried Jim's Devil's Cut as well as Hudson Baby Boubon yesterday and both of them had pretty easy burn... actually Devil'sCut was as smooth as i ever wanted.
That on top of what i already tried makes me believe MM is somehow defected/out of bad barrel... at least that's the only explanation that makes sense to me.

while i'm at it - when drinking 2 diffrent brand of whiskey within an hour or so in between - do i still get the same "taste" from the second one as i would if i were to never have the first kind?

I find that the second bourbon you drink can have a slightly different taste depending on the first bourbon. What you had to eat that day can also effect the taste of the bourbon. Enjoy the Journey!

BTW, if Devils cut isnt too harsh for you I definitely think you have an "off" bottle of MM. Devils cut has alot of wood tannin in it which makes it considerably harsher than MM. Also, be sure to try Makers 46, I think that is a superb bourbon and I think you will enjoy it.
vince

Unread postby Birdo » Sat Oct 08, 2011 9:30 am

Early Times and Rebel Yell are both easier drinkers that are bit short on flavor, they are both dirt cheap too. 80 proof and lightly age makes for a cheap easyt drinker.
Birdo

Unread postby PaulO » Sun Oct 16, 2011 11:40 am

Early Times 454 bourbon in the square-ish bottle, was pretty good when I tried it. Maybe try Weller SR.
PaulO

Unread postby Digdug » Wed Oct 19, 2011 12:14 am

I was just gonna suggest MM! ...but if thats too much you may want to splash it with water. MM is about as soft as they come, so for now, maybe stay in the 80 proof range.

I just started drinking whiskey bout 5 months ago and I am 40. There are not too many I don't enjoy. Half the fun is trying something new.

Good luck trying stuff out!
Digdug

Next

Return to Bourbon, Straight