Gilbeys Spey-Royal Scotch Whisky

Love bourbon but still enjoy an occasional foreign whisky pour as well? Discuss some of your favorites here.

Moderator: Squire

Gilbeys Spey-Royal Scotch Whisky

Unread postby altrdpercption » Sat Sep 17, 2011 7:53 am

Hello everyone!

Lance here, living in upstate NY and a huge whisky fan.

Recently, with all the flooding we have had my family had their entire basement flooded.

So I went over to help them clean and found a old bottle of Scotch Whisky, I will attach some pictures of it.

On the bottle it says

"Federal Law Forbids Sale Or Re Use Of This Bottle"

and there is a tax stamp "U S Internal Revenue Tax Stamp"

on the bottom, it says " W & A Gilbey" "London England" and there is "22" along with some other that I cannot make out.

I know nothing about this, so any information anycould provide will be greatly appreciated. If better pics are needed, just let me know and I will snap some more.

Many thanks in advance!

Lance Robertson

P.S.

The Sticker you see in the last picture says "By Appointment Whicky Distillers to H. M. The King. W & A Gibey Ltd"

Also, I have the original bag that this bottle came in, it is red with black strips (almost a checker pattern) and has the company name on the draw strings of the bag
altrdpercption

Re: Gilbeys Spey-Royal Scotch Whisky

Unread postby altrdpercption » Tue Sep 27, 2011 7:35 pm

Thank you for your enquiry about your bottle of Gilbey’s Spey Royal which has been forwarded to me here at the Diageo Archives. Going by the royal warrant (by appointment to H M The King) and the design of the packaging I think your bottle is likely to date from the early 1950s. We don’t have an example of your bottle here in our Archive so it is difficult for me to give you a more precise date for it.

I have had the bottled dated to the early 50s. I am curious if anyone is interested in it.
altrdpercption

Re: Gilbeys Spey-Royal Scotch Whisky

Unread postby macnicol » Fri Sep 30, 2011 2:50 pm

Yes, I would be interested in it. This is the brand that introduced me to scotch in the 1960's while I was in college. I still have a Spey Royal white milk glass decanter that I purchased full in the late 1960's and would like to refill it with Spey Royal again.

What do you want for it?
macnicol

Return to Scotch Whisky